Maplin goes into administration

Options
One of the UK's biggest electronics retailers has collapsed into administration after talks with buyers failed to secure a sale.

Maplin, which has more than 200 stores and 2,500 staff, will continue to trade through the process.

The business faced the slump in the pound after the Brexit vote, weak consumer confidence and a withdrawal of credit insurance.

BBC News
There is a pleasure in the pathless woods, There is a rapture on the lonely shore, There is society, where none intrudes, By the deep sea, and music in its roar: I love not man the less, but Nature more...

Comments

• Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,302 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    There's a buyer in the wings

Think it will survive
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    They never sold "handy stuff I wanted".

Just last week I wanted to buy something I'm sure they could've stocked, but they didn't... ditto several handy items a year.

And their staff are offhand/intimidating/offputting, so you only go/ask once :)
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    People who are techy enough to want something from Maplin are also capable of sourcing the same thing online. It took so long for Maplin to realise this.
  • fwor
    fwor Posts: 6,810 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I've been a customer since they were "MES", with a line drawing of Concorde taking off from Maplin Sands international airport on the front of their 8-page catalogue.

It's a shame to see them on the brink, but they kept cutting back stock of things that "enthusiasts" would want to buy and filled their shops with Chinese remote control toys (a policy that saw Tandy go into administration years ago). And then the prices for ordinary stuff just kept going up and up...
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,865 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    At one time they, along with RS, were the only way the general public could get hold of many small electronic items. Now anything they sell is available on line at a fraction of the price. The amount of things I have sitting around in bags because it costs 99p for 10 on ebay rather than £2.50 for 1 from Maplin. Being way overpriced was their downfall.
  • Froggitt
    Froggitt Posts: 5,904 Forumite
    Options
    Unhelpful staff/overpriced stuff/out of stocks......not a great offering really was it?
    illegitimi non carborundum
  • glook
    Options
    Hi, I bought a camera at Maplin, in December 2017. It got a fault 2 days ago. I took it to Maplin yesterday and they are refusing to refund and told me to inform the manufacturers. I'm sure my rights are with Maplin, but as they are in administration they say there are no refunds available. Is this true or should I stand my ground? I've read the updated refund policy!
  • fwor
    fwor Posts: 6,810 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
  • Mchambers
    Mchambers Posts: 1,054 Forumite
    Options
    Popped into Maplins to have a look at their closing down sale.

Not very impressed.

Anyone know when they will start doing big reductions to make it a proper closing down sale ?
  • z1a
    z1a Posts: 2,522 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    4:45pm on 31st April.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts