Business name

Options
I am considering setting up my own part time business, can anyone answer this question for me....apologies if it's a stupid question.

If my name is James Williams and I want to set up a gardening company for example if I call the company 'Williams garden services' does this satisfy the sole trading rules and therefore my name and business address would not need to be on business stationery?

Comments

• Caz2_2
    Caz2_2 Posts: 199 Forumite
    Options
    Hi why dont u want your name or business address on your business stationary, if thats not too checky to ask
  • timdiecast
    Options
    You will have to put your name somewhere on your stationary e.g. 'James Williams trading as Williams Garden Services' . It would probably create a good impression if you put on your address but I don't think it's compulsary.
  • bridiej
    bridiej Posts: 5,775 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Yes, what timdiecast said!

I just pop in now and then.... :)
    transcribing
  • betterbargains4u
    Options
    I have just started a new sole trader business. Am I obliged to register my business name, and if so, what happens if someone already has that particular name?
    When life throws you lemons...put them in a gin and tonic !!
  • bridiej
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I believe you will have to change the name.

transcribing
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,028 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    But I don't think you have to 'register' your business name if you are a sole trader, do you? Honestly, I don't know for sure, I thought you could just go Fred Bloggs trading as XYZ Catering or something like that, but it would be worth looking back through this part of the forum to get more info!
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • ReductionQueen
    Options
    You don't have to register a name to be a sole trader. If you go a step further, and want to have a Ltd company, THAT'S when you have to register a name, at Companies House. There are plenty of company formations services on the web, do a search on Google if you are interested in going this route. Even if your chosen name is taken, you can either add something to your chosen name (eg Smith Ltd is taken, so you may be able to register Smith (London) Ltd), or take a 'generic' Ltd company name and trade as your original name (as in Catchpole Ltd T/A Smith the Builder). Hope this helps
    "Excuse me, this expires today, will you be reducing it?"
  • betterbargains4u
    Options
    Many thanks for that advice. I am only just starting out...so need as much info as I can grab!!
    When life throws you lemons...put them in a gin and tonic !!
  • ReductionQueen
    Options
    By the way, if you wanted to go the Ltd route, there is a way you can have one on your own (it legally takes two poeple to form one, a director and a company secretary) When you form the company (buy it ready formed or form one from scatch with your own name, from a formations service), many formation services will offer a 'nominee secretary' service. Basically, for a fee they will put up a person to take on the duties of Company Secretary and be named at Companies House as doing so. They don't have a financial share in the company and you can replace them with whoever you like when you choose, by notifying Companies House of the change with one of thier forms.

All Ltd Cos have pluses and Minuses. The main ones are plus - your personal assets are protected, should the worst come to the worst, you can wind up the company and creditors can't touch your house ect (though there may be exceptions as in VAT, Inland Revenue). Minus - year end accounts have to be submitted promptly, though you will be doing that anyway, and accountancy fees may be a bit higher.
    "Excuse me, this expires today, will you be reducing it?"
  • bridiej
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Yes, that's right, you dont have to register to be a sole trader BUT you still need to be careful about the name of the company and that it is not the same as someone elses.

transcribing
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family