Savings and Benefits question

Options
Wondering if someone can help.

1. Will we lose means tested benefits if there is a payout from my husband's serious illness / critical illness policy?

2. Does a Junior ISA count as savings in relation to means-tested benefits?

3. Does an untouched private pension count as savings in relation to means-tested benefits?

Thanks

Comments

• pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Can you please tell us which benefits you are referring to?
  • sweetbutternut
    Options
    Housing benefit, child tax credits, working tax credits.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,422 Forumite
    Options
    Does a Junior ISA count as savings in relation to means-tested benefits?

No - a JISA belongs to the child absolutely and under all except very sad circumstances, can only be accessed by the child himself when he turns 18.

That said, if a person in receipt of means tested benefits were suddenly to start contributing to a JISA and particularly in large amounts, a Decision Maker might become involved?
    3. Does an untouched private pension count as savings in relation to means-tested benefits?

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/417473/pension-flexibilities-dwp-benefits.pdf
    1. Will we lose means tested benefits if there is a payout from my husband's serious illness / critical illness policy?

Presumably once you received such a payment the money would be regarded as capital?

If this were the case, you would need to consider how capital affects means tested benefits?
  • sweetbutternut
    Options
    Thanks for the info and links xylophone. I read the link you included, but I am still very confused!

My husband is 55 and unfortunately, only has a few hundred pounds in his private pension. Sad, but true. I was just wondering if he could continue saving into his private pension without touching the pension pot.

Does an untouched pension pot count as "savings" even if the money is not accessed?
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the info and links xylophone. I read the link you included, but I am still very confused!

My husband is 55 and unfortunately, only has a few hundred pounds in his private pension. Sad, but true. I was just wondering if he could continue saving into his private pension without touching the pension pot.

Does an untouched pension pot count as "savings" even if the money is not accessed?

I believe if you choose to not take it, it's counted, as you've chosen to 'deprived yourself of that income so they class it as you still having it. It's only Ones that you can't access that are discounted
  • sweetbutternut
    Options
    Thanks marliepanda. That makes sense....

Can you or anyone else confirm what xylophone said, that Junior Isas are exempt from what is classed as "savings"?
  • Housing_Benefit_Officer
    Options
    Junior ISAs are the childs capital and disregarded for benefits purposes.
    These are my own views and you should seek advice from your local Benefits Department or CAB.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,422 Forumite
    Options

In your first post you were asking about whether the untouched pension would be taken into account as savings if your husband were in receipt of means tested benefits.

The link says

If you (or your partner) are under the qualifying age
    for Pension Credit

If you (or your partner) are under the qualifying age for Pension Credit, and you do not take any money from your pension pot, then it will not be taken into account when your benefit entitlement is worked out.

You are now asking whether your partner can continue to contribute to a pension while on means tested benefits.

He can do but with regard to tax relief, if he has no relevant earnings the amount he can contribute will be limited to £2880 (net) per annum.

http://www.rossmartin.co.uk/private-client-a-estate-planning/income-losses-claims-reliefs/1034-relevant-earnings-for-pensions-purposes
  • [Deleted User]
    Options

An untouched private pension DOES NOT COUNT AS SAVINGS
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport