Can I claim on house insurance?

Options
Ok first post. Need help my neighbours have a leak due to my flat roof. We have joining flat roof they have had their side redone few years ago mine not been done can't afford to I know it's in bad shape just over 2 1/2 years ago I did have a leak my father came round looked and put tarpooling over temporarily and was going to fix it done his own flat roofs on garage and and extension with help from his friend a roofer but my dad passed away couple months later before getting it done. Mine has not leaked since he put the tarpooling on but next doors has and now they say it's pouring through! I can't afford a new roof I'm a single mum stuck on benifits since the ex husband walked out as I have a autistic child to look after can't work so Money tight so would insurance pay out? Know they wouldn't for just fixing mine as classed as ware and tear but as affecting next door could I claim? Many thanks in advance any advice oh and no council won't help as it's my property!

Comments

• Blibble
    Blibble Posts: 503 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Your neighbour would need to claim on their home insurance for damages to their property. Note, however, that, if they can reasonably prove negligence on your part with respect of the maintenance of the flat roof (or lack of maintenance) then you may be liable for your neighbour's policy excess fee(s). If they have buildings and contents with 2 different providers, this would be 2 fees and potentially £500+ each time.

You are correct in that your insurance would not authorise a claim for your damages, due to wear and tear / gradually operant damage exclusions.
  • kittypryde101
    Options
    So my neighbours need to claim, the excess would definatly be a problem like I said I'm stuck on benefits money is literally end to end money in money out bills and food nothing left for anything else so I could not pay the excess!
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Can you sell up and downsize to somewhere smaller, releasing cash ?
  • kittypryde101
    Options
    Unfortunately no not a big place anyway and by time paid off mortgage not enough buy a place in this area and do need to stay in this area as my autistic son at a special school can't uproot him move miles away get something cheaper!
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    the place was obtained through RTB by any chance?

if your struggling with money, hit the debt free wannabee forums to help you out. The roof needs a permanent repair sooner rather than later, it can spiral out of control in terms of costs and damage
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport