Electricity Billing Issue with Transport Costs D-Energi

Options
SORRY THERE ARE NO IMAGES- THE FORUM WOULDN'T ALLOW AS ITS MY FIRST POST

I am a small business and last year took out a long term energy contract for 4 years with supplier D-Energi.

I found them on compare the market and contacted them directly and I was advised by the salesman that I could get a better deal if I went direct, which I did. Unfortunately I have had a number of issues with them which included them trying to put the unit price of electricity up by around 20% on the contract up just 4 weeks in.

The most recent issue occurred when I received the 12 monthly statement that arrived a few weeks ago and showed a transport cost which had been added to the bill of 98p per day.

This came as a surprise as I had asked the salesman about the above statement before signing up and was advised that this would only apply to businesses with high usage. This was backed up on their responses to reviews.

Unfortunately I foolishly didn’t get the salesman to put what he said in writing.

Upon receiving the annual bill I looked over the contract with D-Energi once again and I noticed that below the pricing schedule box in small print it says (please see print screen below):

“A transportation charge of 98p per day will apply. Please refer to our T&Cs for further information.”

This is very small on the paper when printed out. It may look a bit larger on here.

I have to admit this was something I didn’t see when I signed the contract and something I feel was intended to deceive. The additional 98p per day adds up to about £1400 over the duration of the contract, which as a small business making a very modest wage is something that will cause me a level financial hardship.

One thing that is clear is their lack of transparency. I feel they have tried to hide the extra charges by sending monthly invoices just stating the invoice amount rather than sending estimated bills with a breakdown of the individual charges which include the unit rate, daily rate and transport charge. Instead it says:

I signed up for a 48 month contract starting in November 2018 and the latest bill provides an end date of 31/12/2021. This is another error and is about 10 months short of what is on the contract I signed.

I felt extremely stressed by this latest issue with D-Energi which is why I have left this for some time before putting pen to paper. I had little confidence in them before this issue and now I have no confidence at all. I now want to get out of the contract with the company as I no longer trust them. I also admit that I feel a little naïve for trusting the salesman without getting anything in writing.

I would like to know if members of this message board are aware that any Ofgem or other rules that have been broken by the supplier? I am going to make an official complaint to D-Energi and then take the matter to the ombudsman if I don’t get a reasonable response. If anyone has an idea of what the Ombudsman might say that would also be appreciated. Ideally I would like to leave the contract.

Thank you in advance.

Comments

• JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    <Ideally I would like to leave the contract>
    Business to business all going to depend upon the terms and conditions of your contract .
  • Redboot
    Redboot Posts: 22 Forumite
    Options
    duff_man wrote: »
    SORRY THERE ARE NO IMAGES- THE FORUM WOULDN'T ALLOW AS ITS MY FIRST POST

I am a small business and last year took out a long term energy contract for 4 years with supplier D-Energi.

I found them on compare the market and contacted them directly and I was advised by the salesman that I could get a better deal if I went direct, which I did. Unfortunately I have had a number of issues with them which included them trying to put the unit price of electricity up by around 20% on the contract up just 4 weeks in.

The most recent issue occurred when I received the 12 monthly statement that arrived a few weeks ago and showed a transport cost which had been added to the bill of 98p per day.

This came as a surprise as I had asked the salesman about the above statement before signing up and was advised that this would only apply to businesses with high usage. This was backed up on their responses to reviews.

Unfortunately I foolishly didn’t get the salesman to put what he said in writing.

Upon receiving the annual bill I looked over the contract with D-Energi once again and I noticed that below the pricing schedule box in small print it says (please see print screen below):

“A transportation charge of 98p per day will apply. Please refer to our T&Cs for further information.”

This is very small on the paper when printed out. It may look a bit larger on here.

I have to admit this was something I didn’t see when I signed the contract and something I feel was intended to deceive. The additional 98p per day adds up to about £1400 over the duration of the contract, which as a small business making a very modest wage is something that will cause me a level financial hardship.

One thing that is clear is their lack of transparency. I feel they have tried to hide the extra charges by sending monthly invoices just stating the invoice amount rather than sending estimated bills with a breakdown of the individual charges which include the unit rate, daily rate and transport charge. Instead it says:

I signed up for a 48 month contract starting in November 2018 and the latest bill provides an end date of 31/12/2021. This is another error and is about 10 months short of what is on the contract I signed.

I felt extremely stressed by this latest issue with D-Energi which is why I have left this for some time before putting pen to paper. I had little confidence in them before this issue and now I have no confidence at all. I now want to get out of the contract with the company as I no longer trust them. I also admit that I feel a little naïve for trusting the salesman without getting anything in writing.

I would like to know if members of this message board are aware that any Ofgem or other rules that have been broken by the supplier? I am going to make an official complaint to D-Energi and then take the matter to the ombudsman if I don’t get a reasonable response. If anyone has an idea of what the Ombudsman might say that would also be appreciated. Ideally I would like to leave the contract.

Thank you in advance.

Your thread from last year can be found here:
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5931322

I cannnot improve on the advice you received then
  • duff_man
    Options
    Thanks for your responses.

Thank you for reminding me of the post from last year. Unfortunately this is a different issue with the same supplier. I managed to resolve the last one without going to the ombudsman.

Regarding the regulation I was asking about I have been doing a little research. While there isn't as much regulation for the supply of microbusinesses in comparison to domestic supply, some does exist.

SLC 0A is aimed at ensuring licensees treat each customer fairly. This includes behaving in a fair, honest, transparent, appropriate, and professional manner, and providing information that is complete, accurate and not misleading.

And also

SLC 7A.4 Before the licensee enters into a Micro Business Consumer Contract, it must take all reasonable steps to bring the following information to the attention of the Micro Business Consumer and ensure that the information is communicated in plain and intelligible language:

(a) a statement to the effect that the licensee is seeking to enter into a legally binding Contract with the Micro Business Consumer; and
    (b) the Principal Terms of the proposed Contract.

My argument is that the supplier has failed to adhere to both SLC 0A and SLC 7A.4 and have broken the ELECTRICITY ACT 1989 Standard conditions of electricity supply licence. I will remind the supplier of this when I put in my complaint.

If anyone has any further information that may be of help I would greatly appreciate this. Thank you in advance.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Try a small business forum .
  • careathome
    Options
    I nearly got caught out by the same thing. Have you asked for call recordings if you didn’t have it in writing?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback