Passive Investing ie Trackers

Options

Comments

• Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,173 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    edited 14 November 2019 at 4:45PM
    Options
    JohnWinder wrote: »
    Linton, thanks for looking more closely at this. However........
    Let's look at just one category, GBP denominated Europe equity (350) funds, and ignore the other seven categories just now.
    This is one of the five (out of 8) you chose for which the average active fund outperformed the index at 3 and 5 years, as well as at 10 years. To get that average outperformance, don't you have to own all the active funds in the category, because some underperformed at times while others outperformed, the outperformance bettering the underperformance?
    If you chose 2 funds at random fund A will beat fund B 50% of the time. I dont see one of them happening to be a tracker is significant there. Where the tracker has an advantage is that it will be some way from being the worst performer in that category, and equally some way from being the best. That may be an important consideration for a more cautious investor who is willing to sacrifice potential gain for a level of security.

Reading p4 for the same 8 categories of GBP denominated active funds: at one year, only 1 category's funds outperformed the index, in the other 7 categories about 80% of funds in each category underperformed the index. By 5 years in every category there is underperformance by a majority of funds, and by 10 years the majority is at about 85%.
    Thanks very much for bringing this up. Something very odd is going on. At first site P4 looks inconsistent with P8. However if I use the stated 10 year annualised return of 10.51% for the SP Index (which is 172% over 10 years) I do get about a 80% failure rate corresponding to page 4. Great, all clear.

However now lets look at a real tracker - iShares MSCI Europe Index. According to Trustnet that (and other funds tracking the same index) shows a 10 year return of 104%. This corresponds to a 27% failure rate.

Also the published average UK fund data (The IA Europe Equity (inc UK) average) shows a 10 year return of 118%, Very different to that published in the SPIVA report - 11.17% annualised.

It looks like more research is needed, have I or SPIVA have been making arithmetic errors, or perhaps been confused by currency changes? Ther numbers look like they may have been calculating the annualised return by dividing the 10 year return by 10. Surely not!

How do you choose which of the small % of funds in any category will outperform in the years ahead?
    We are left with the problem that SPIVA compares the active funds with the index rather than index funds, but even after costs the good index funds track the index closely, sometimes beating it if they do securities lending (dodgy, perhaps).

I dont look for index beating funds, except as a tie breaker when other criteria have failed to identify a clear winner. For me the index is irrelevent. What is important is the actual return measured against that required to meet my objective. This is determined by the asset allocation of the portfolio as a whole which is deliberately more evenly balanced than any index.
  • bostonerimus
    Options
    As you are debt and mortgage free and have a couple of final salary pensions I think you can probably take risk with your portfolio. But first do a detailed budget and figure out how much of your expenses will be covered by your final salary pension. Then you can gauge how much risk to take with your 200k.

If you are still working I would use the money to up your pension contributions as much as possible while fully funding your ISA to give you some flexibility. Also keep 6 months you a years spending in cash in the bank.

Given your final salary pensions I would look at equity heavy funds..something like VLS80 or maybe even a global equity fund. You could add some other regional or sector funds, but my inclination would be to keep it simple so cash, final salary pensions, and investing in something like VLS80 sounds good to me.
    “So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”
  • Linton
    Options
    Further to my SPIVA concerns.

I have just checked the data for UK equity funds. The UK equity SPIVA 10 year calculations are based on an annual return of 10.45% over the past 10 years (=170.2% total). Sadly the FTSE Allshare has only returned 114% in that period.
  • Linton
    Options
    Partial understanding of what is going on with SPIVA:

Its a report for 30th Jun 2019. The 10 year period takes us back to when there was a short but rapid rebound from the lows of the Great Crash. I was basing my data on 10 years back from now. However this isnt the whole story. Changing the dates also increases the 10 year returns of all the funds so it doesnt help understanding where the SPIVA % of underperforming funds comes from.

Apologies to those who are not interested.
  • MK62
    MK62 Posts: 1,449 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 14 November 2019 at 9:00PM
    Options
    Linton wrote: »
    Further to my SPIVA concerns.
    I have just checked the data for UK equity funds. The UK equity SPIVA 10 year calculations are based on an annual return of 10.45% over the past 10 years (=170.2% total). Sadly the FTSE Allshare has only returned 114% in that period.
    After reading the report, I'm a little puzzled about things too tbh.....

Firstly they are measuring performance against an index......100% of passive funds will also be outperformed by the index (tracking error aberations notwithstanding).
    Without saying what the level of underperformance is, then it all becomes a bit meaningless.

The report says that over 10 years (for instance), the average annualized performance of active UK Equity funds is 11.01%, compared the benchmark index's 10.45%, but that over that period, 77.43% of active funds are outperformed by the benchmark........in other words, 77.43% have a 10 year annualised return of less than 10.45%. They also then state that the 2nd, 3rd and 4th quartile averages are 9.54%, 10.82% and 13.28%.............it would seem then, that the best performing active funds are outperforming the index by quite some margin.

However they don't state that an index tracker fund, tracking that index, and having a 0.1% OCF, will have averaged 10.34%, rather than 10.45%, and it would seem that could sway the result, perhaps quite significantly........

Where I am especially puzzled though is that third quartile number.......the way I'm reading it is they appear to be stating that the third quartile average is 10.82%.......this must mean that at least some funds in that quartile achieved over 10.45% (or else how could the average be 10.82%)........but how can this be true, as they also say that 77.43% are outperformed by the index, so if only 22.57% beat the index, they must, by definition, all be in the 4th quartile.......

Unless I'm reading it all wrong.......it has been a long day....;).....or unless the "survivorship bias" plays a bigger role than you might think.

TBH, I'm also intrigued by their "Data cleaning", where they only use the fund share class with the most assets.......this might distort the picture too as far as a retail investor is concerned.

PS.....while a difference in annualised average return of 10.34% vs 10.45% may not sound much, for a £500,000 portfolio, it would equate to a difference of around £13500 over 10 years......
  • JohnWinder
    JohnWinder Posts: 1,789 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 15 November 2019 at 8:36AM
    Options
    “If you chose 2 funds at random fund A will beat fund B 50% of the time.”
    Linton, not sure what you’re implying with your 50% example, but the tracker fund has the added advantage that because its returns are very close to index returns, and about 85% of active funds have underperformed the index over 10 years, you’re likely to be better off with a tracker over the long haul. Where 50% fits into that, readers must work out themselves.

“Changing the dates also increases the 10 year returns of all the funds so it doesnt (sic) help understanding where the SPIVA % of underperforming funds comes from.”. I can’t help you out of your confusion. As you suggest: “have I or SPIVA have (sic) been making arithmetic errors, or perhaps been confused by currency changes?“........you or SPIVA, don’t make me choose.

“I dont (sic) look for index beating funds, except as a tie breaker when other criteria have failed to identify a clear winner.”. Would you share with us which criteria sometimes accurately identify which fund will be a clear winner, such that you don’t need to fall back to a fund which will beat an index!?

“the index is irrelevent (sic). What is important is the actual return measured against that required to meet my objective”. It’s relevant that none of us know what any fund’s return is going to be, so to maximise the probability of a higher return you’d have to choose an index fund, surely. To have done otherwise 10 years ago would have given you an 85% chance of returns below the index.

“This is determined by the asset allocation of the portfolio as a whole which is deliberately more evenly balanced than any index.”. Now you know I dislike straw men, Linton.
  • JohnWinder
    JohnWinder Posts: 1,789 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    “However they don't state that an index tracker fund, tracking that index, and having a 0.1% OCF, will have averaged 10.34%, rather than 10.45%, and it would seem that could sway the result, perhaps quite significantly.......”

“Firstly they are measuring performance against an index......100% of passive funds will also be outperformed by the index (tracking error aberations notwithstanding).”

True enough. SPIVA doesn’t address the precise question many ask, since it compares active with index instead of index tracker.
    But look at ishares’ UK tracker, for the last 5 separate years it has not lagged the index by more than 2 basis points and costs only 1 basis point as a further ’loss’ against the index.
    A comparable Vanguard fund, for the past 5 individual years (including management fee) has outperformed the index by about 20 basis points each year. https://www.vanguardinvestor.co.uk/rs/gre/gls/1.3.0/documents/6022/gb

Also see the other SPIVA report on the impact of fees on active fund performance: https://us.spindices.com/documents/spiva/research-spiva-institutional-scorecard-how-much-do-fees-affect-the-active-versus-passive-debate-year-end-2016.pdf?force_download=true
    As a crude summary of this report, in USA over past 10 years about 75% of active funds underperformed their index when fees are counted, but if they charged no fees it would still be about 60% which underperformed. How do we pick the active winners ahead of time?
  • bungleberg
    Options
    Thank you all for your comments and advice, which I am still trying to digest.
    I am definitely going to open a vanguard ISA this weekend, I intend to start by using up this years ISA allowance, I think it best to split it over five funds. The FTSE World Index is a contender, any opinions on what five you would split 20k across.
  • MK62
    MK62 Posts: 1,449 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    At £20k, I'd probably stick with the one global fund in your ISA first.........then think about where to put the other £180k. In your ISA, you could add the other 4 funds over the next 4 years.

PS - you may find it cheaper to open your ISA at iWEB.....you'd also have more choice of fund providers, other than Vanguard alone.
  • Alistair31
    Options
    bungleberg wrote: »
    Thank you all for your comments and advice, which I am still trying to digest.
    I am definitely going to open a vanguard ISA this weekend, I intend to start by using up this years ISA allowance, I think it best to split it over five funds. The FTSE World Index is a contender, any opinions on what five you would split 20k across.

Why split it at all ? Use VWRL or VLS(40/60/80)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure