Credit card- first time applicant!

Options
Hi all

Im looking to apply fr my frst credit card , solely for credit history for a mortgage. Im looking online and dont understand some jargon, also know the very basic of using a CC.

Just had a look at Lloyds bank, where I hold my main account, also have my deposit there.
Q: is it OK to get a CC with them?? Or should i go for a totslly different card?

Q: they have 5 cards listed on website. Im thinking of the Low Rate platinum card (perfect shopping partner). Is that Ok for building credit history OR the higher rate 35/23 etc etc month balance transfer?

Q: What does it mean by balance transfer??? All i want to do is shop, and pay within the time limit so dont accrue charge!

Sorry if the Qs sound silly, i hope i can get some wise answers from them:D anything im missing, need to know or misinderstood- i'd appreciate all advice.

Thank you

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You can try your own bank - alternatively one of the sub prime providers.

All cards build the same history - it's how you use them that matters.

You don't need a BT card. That is for transferring debts from another card, which you don't have.
  • Mkaan
    Mkaan Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you really appreciate your response! Id kind of got the rest ( basic CC use) but not the BT

Do you think the low rate Cc would be sufficient for my particular need- whuch is fr credit history??
  • Mkaan
    Options
    Oh i quoted you zx81! Dont know why i cant see that happening!
  • Willing2Learn
    Willing2Learn Posts: 6,294 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    If you are going to pay the balance in full every month, after receiving the statement, then it does not matter which Lloyds card you apply for.
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
  • sparkey1
    sparkey1 Posts: 444 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Balance transfer. Where you use the card to pay another card. You dont have another card so on the face of it the low rate card fits the bill.

Unless you have a bad credit history its usually easier just to get a card from your existing bank.

All of the cards will build your credit profile the same way. Ie They give you a limit and you stay within it.

Before you go any further try their credit eligibility checker. It will avoid hard credit searches on your credit file.
  • Mkaan
    Options
    Thank you for the clarification Willingtolearn! I think will keep things simple and go for the low rate
  • Mkaan
    Options
    Thank you sparky1- the detailed info is really helpful.
    Also i will post in mortgage thread, as im a FTB and need all the advice can get- including DOs and Donts to avoid hard credit searches- thanks for the headstart on that!
    Sorry, still dont know why i couldnt quote yoi despite clicking on it- maybe as im using my phone?!?!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure