IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Birmingham Airport Windscreen PCN

Options
Domstan
Domstan Posts: 8 Forumite
edited 6 July 2018 at 11:18PM in Parking tickets, fines & parking
Hope you can help
A car that I am the of had at ticket placed on the windscreen whilst at Birmingham Airport for parking not correctly within the lines.
The ticket has the registration incorrectly recorded.
The ticket states the company APCOA will check with DVLA.
Yet they have the wrong Registration so that will not work.
Does anyone know if they photograph as well and if they do will they go back and reissue the ticket in the correct registration.
Or can the ticket be ignored on the basis it was incorrectly issued?
Any help is appreciated
Thanks.

Comments

• Half_way
    Half_way Posts: 7,054 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    take a read o of the sticky thread and then get back here.
    Incorrect details on a windscreen ticket is often an say way for the PPC to get extra info from the driver.
    when you say "I" received the ticket, I take that to mean the driver passed it to you, as you receiver the ticket from the driver (or a passenger)
    From the Plain Language Commission:

"The BPA has surely become one of the most socially dangerous organisations in the UK"
  • Domstan
    edited 6 July 2018 at 11:20PM
    Options
    Hi Halfway. A ticket was left on the windscreen of a car for which I am the keeper It is not for my car registration. It is similar but contains an incorrect digit.
    The ticket states the company APCOA will contact the DVLA for details.
    Obviously they will not get my details as keeper of the car as they have issued the ticket on an incorrect registration number.
    I am wondering firstly if this makes the ticket invalid, secondly do they take photographs and are they are allowed to amend their error?
  • fisherjim
    fisherjim Posts: 6,038 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Domstan wrote: »
    Hi Halfway. A ticket was left on the windscreen of my car. It is not for my car registration. It is similar but contains an incorrect digit.
    The ticket states the company APCOA will contact the DVLA for details.
    Obviously they will not get my details as owner of the car as they have issued the ticket On an incorrect registration number.
    I am wondering firstly if this makes the ticket invalid, secondly do they take photographs and are they are allowed to amend their error?

You are not getting this are you, half_way has explained to you some important principals, and to Read the newbies thread, do that now or you will do this all wrong!

These are scam tickets, they will correct their "error" they do this to get you to phone or contact them to say ha ha wrong reg. But these are greedy scamners not an authority you are dealing with the lie and twist things!
  • Domstan
    Options
    fisherjim wrote: »
    You are not getting this are you, half_way has explained to you some important principals, and to Read the newbies thread, do that now or you will do this all wrong!

These are scam tickets, they will correct their "error" they do this to get you to phone or contact them to say ha ha wrong reg. But these are greedy scamners not an authority you are dealing with the lie and twist things!

Hi Jim.
    Sorry I mustn’t be getting it. I read through the newbies sticky before posting and I couldn’t see anything that matched my situation. I will have a read of everything again. See if I can find the bit about incorrect registrations.
    I am not intending to contact anyone. I was hoping to completely ignore it as it is incorrect.
    However I am seeing a lot of messages saying don’t ignore them
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    Well.....the FAQ does make it clear from the outset that you don't need to worry about finding your individual circumstances covered!

Follow the advice in #1 of the FAQ!

And edit your post to remove details of who was driving as hinted to you in #2
  • Domstan
    Options
    Quentin wrote: »
    Well.....the FAQ does make it clear from the outset that you don't need to worry about finding your individual circumstances covered!

Follow the advice in #1 of the FAQ!

And edit your post to remove details of who was driving as hinted to you in #2

Thanks Quentin.
    Noted on the first bit of advice.

I am getting the impression it does not matter if a company issued a ticket with the incorrect details such as a Registration or not.
    Not matter what they do you have to go down the POPLA route.
    I just find it amazing that a company can make such and important error and that that doesn’t matter.

Secondly the ticket states you have to write in, in order to appeal.
    I assume this is not correct and I can appeal via the internet.

Thanks for the help
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    edited 6 July 2018 at 3:50PM
    Options
    Be prepared for them to refuse/ignore appeals not sent in compliance with their 'contract'

See#2 above for an explanation of why tickets have errors!

When dealing with possible byelaws you should not reveal the owners identify
  • fisherjim
    fisherjim Posts: 6,038 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    To reiterate these are scammers that have found a way to make millions out of making up rules to catch unsuspecting motorists out.

They then use contract law to send an invoice to extract money out of you, but the paperwork is deliberately designed to fool many into thinking these are real parking tickets.

They then use any trick they can to bully you into paying, the slightly wrong VRN is one trick they play.

They are dirty cheats, but this at the moment, is an unregulated industry which is lucrative.

Some PPC's exist on these charges for overstays, parking over the line, leaving site, 10 seconds stop at a roundabout at an airport to let someone out etc., as their only revenue stream.

If their victims made no errors, and that is what they are supposed to prevent, they would have no revenue ,as they don't usually charge for car park management.

The result is sharp practices, they rarely uphold an appeal, unless they are backed up against the wall, and they target anyone.

In a recent case one PPC ticketed a vehicle where the driver's girlfriend had been take ill in a store and was rushed to hospital, they refused to cancel as the driver should have conformed to their T&C's.

Now if your case was at an airport, it may be covered by bye-laws in which case the PPC doesn't even have the authority to take court action to recover any implied debt they claim is owed to them.

Only the airport owners have that authority and they won't, and even then they need to identify the driver.

They even use prevention of terrorism threats to justify their silly charges, but sending an invoice after the event, of taking a photograph of the car stopping for 10 seconds is if you think about it ludicrous!
  • Domstan
    Options
    fisherjim wrote: »
    To reiterate these are scammers that have found a way to make millions out of making up rules to catch unsuspecting motorists out.

They then use contract law to send an invoice to extract money out of you, but the paperwork is deliberately designed to fool many into thinking these are real parking tickets.

They then use any trick they can to bully you into paying, the slightly wrong VRN is one trick they play.

They are dirty cheats, but this at the moment, is an unregulated industry which is lucrative.

Some PPC's exist on these charges for overstays, parking over the line, leaving site, 10 seconds stop at a roundabout at an airport to let someone out etc., as their only revenue stream.

If their victims made no errors, and that is what they are supposed to prevent, they would have no revenue ,as they don't usually charge for car park management.

The result is sharp practices, they rarely uphold an appeal, unless they are backed up against the wall, and they target anyone.

In a recent case one PPC ticketed a vehicle where the driver's girlfriend had been take ill in a store and was rushed to hospital, they refused to cancel as the driver should have conformed to their T&C's.

Now if your case was at an airport, it may be covered by bye-laws in which case the PPC doesn't even have the authority to take court action to recover any implied debt they claim is owed to them.

Only the airport owners have that authority and they won't, and even then they need to identify the driver.

They even use prevention of terrorism threats to justify their silly charges, but sending an invoice after the event, of taking a photograph of the car stopping for 10 seconds is if you think about it ludicrous!

Thank you, message received load and clear.
    I will follow the templates
    Thanks for taking the time to advice
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,730 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    APCOA PCNs can only be appealed by post now. You may as well post the NEWBIES thread appeal as a letter, 2nd class, and APCOA will probably fold. Keep proof of posting from the PO (a free certificate of posting from the PO Counter, NOT 'signed-for'!).

They really are one of the very easiest for a keeper (not driver!) to beat.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure