PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Overpay Vs Savings?

Options
So we are completing on 23rd but with my love of savings etc that is why I am here I want to know the best way to go forward.

1.84% mortgage 2 year fixed 10% overpayments allowed
So do I overpay as quick as possible - Will this mean that I pay less interest overall the quicker I pay or doesn't it matter whether I pay it on Day 1 or Day 600 of the mortgage.

Or do I try and find a savings account paying 2% or more and how much would I need to have in savings for me to be better off saving like this? Would I then overpay as much as I can the day we go on to 3.99% rate as unlimited overpayments are allowed then? And should I stay on that rate and overpay or try lock in another rate with a fix again and hope they have unlimited overpayments? There was no option this time to get a good rate and have unlimited overpayments and be fixed.

Sorry for the questions it is just the first time I have owned property and I want to pay the mortgage off asap or at least that is the aim.

Comments

• kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,768 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    If you choose the mortgage overpayment option, the sooner you make the overpayment, the quicker you benefit from the reduced interest - next month.

This assumes you have a daily interest calculated mortgage.

Net savings rate higher than 1.84%? Dunno. See what you can find...
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • kinger101
    kinger101 Posts: 6,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    What are you financial goals? It will be difficult to beat the 1.84% in cash savings, for all but relatively modest balances that can be achieved through regular savings accounts.

But you need to look at you long term plans. Would it be better invested in a pension (very likely yes if you pay 40% tax). How long can you leave the money vested?

It's very likely you'd remortgage rather than going onto the SVR.

I'd concentrate on

(a) reasonable cash reserve for rainy day (£10K?)
    (b) more going into pension to drop myself back into basic rate if applicable;
    (c) regular savings to save wedge of cash to drop me into a lower LTV bracket.
    (d) overpayments once I've exhausted all the rest.
    "Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance" - Confucius
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Hi Kinger

Financial goals are to be mortgage free in 5 years - We initially took the mortgage over 12 years to suit our finances, however we are able to overpay just didn't want to overstretch ourselves going for highly monthly amounts or shorter term. Hopefully that makes sense.

Regular savers linked to current accounts can offer 2% + interest - Would it be advisable to save in these? Or would I not have enough saved to generate enough interest to be worthwhile? I don't know how to do the maths to see which would be more worthwhile.

Kingstreet - If we save on interest from day 1 of the mortgage then the sooner we overpay the better? Is that correct? Like the H2B ISA we got bonus on that so essentially that will be £2k overpayment straight away off the mortgage which will be good won't it?

Quick other question - Do we need a solicitor to remortgage?

We don't have to worry about 40% tax.
    C - We will drop to a lower LTV once we overpay won't we?

112k value (house needs work but liveable)
    87k borrowed
    so we already have a good LTV
    What percentage of LTV do you need to drop to get the best rates?

If we overpay £8,700 per year for 2 years I imagine we would smash off quite a lot of interest wouldn't we?

Thanks in advance
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    How would I know if I had a daily interest calculated mortgage?
  • kinger101
    kinger101 Posts: 6,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    There may be small amount for legal fees, particularly if you transfer between lenders. But you won't be doing the same due diligence as the initial purchase.

MSE has an overpayment calculator, so you can work out how much you'll save;

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/mortgages/mortgage-overpayment-calculator

From an interest perspective, the first £1,000 each of interest is tax-free, so if savings rate>mortgage rate, savings win (and have the advantage of greater flexibility).

I still think you need to work out your life plan. Although capital is at risk, historically, the stock market has returned more then 1.84% when dividends and capital growth are considered. There are tax advantages within a pension (as you can take 25% tax free on retirement, and might get NI savings though salary sacrifice with your employer).

I'd at least consider these a hybrid of the mortgage overpayment/increased pension. Mortgage overpayments alone is low-risk, but unlikely to be the best use of surplus cash.
    "Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance" - Confucius
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Most lenders these days calculate interest on a daily basis. If in doubt, write and ask.

The only way to beat 1.84% after tax might be
    * investing rather than saving (longer term needed + less security)
    * a long-term savings bond eg 3 year fixed

Another factor to check: if you overpay the mortgage, can you later easily 'draw-down' that money again (without re-applying)? If yes, that gives ideal flexibility. If no, then what hapens if you need the money again?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Well the overpayment calculator based on current affords means we could be mortgage free in around 5 years.
    After 2 years we would have around £60k left to pay so essentially about 51% LTV. Are there better mortgage rates than 1.84% around?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    G_M -With regards to the money we live within our means and we would always have an emergency pot just for rainy days / emergencies etc.

Investing is more risky like you said and I don't want to lose money and I don't know enough about investing.

Long term savings - Maybe 3-5 years but by then I could be mortgage free.
  • Bluebell1000
    Bluebell1000 Posts: 1,074 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 15 April 2018 at 10:11PM
    Options
    We have a similar situation but probably looking at mortgage free in 10 years, mortgage rate fixed for 5 years. Right now, we are just about at a reasonable level for emergency funds so we can start thinking about where to put the rest. Our plan is:

We are using two 5% regular savers at £300 per month each.
    When they mature we'll probably 'store' some of that in a childrens account since they get about 2% interest, and also switch to a current account with a good rate of interest.

We had been thinking of a fixed rate savings account, but that's similar rates to the childrens ones, and with less flexibility about withdrawals. We may reconsider that in a couple of years when we see what our savings levels are like.

Longer term we would like to switch to an offset mortgage account, once the 5 year fixed rate is up, and will probably pay off a lump sum then once there are no penalties (i.e. just before switching to a different mortgage product). We had one with our last house and it worked well for us, but we didn't meet their criteria when we moved. The advantage is all your savings are offset against mortgage interest, but still accessible just in case.
  • dimbo61
    dimbo61 Posts: 13,716 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you want to be mortgage free in 5 years you need to overpay and save into regular savers.
    If you can overpay by 10% each year and save into regular savers such as Nationwide 5% regular saver you could be mortgage free in 5 years
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure