Unexpected resurrected debt

Options
To cut a long involved painful story short between April 2014 and August 2016 my life fell apart. I ended up failing narrowly to kill myself and went to hospital for a prolonged stay. I fell into a lot of debt, culminating with NatWest repossessing my home. I also accrued other debts, credit cards, and importantly here utility debts, plus HMRC, and some others.

When my house was sold I was told all my debts were cleared. There was oddly enough no money left over, the fees came to exactly that amount, although I never got a letter detailing that.

I had owed British Gas around £2500, they had pursued me for it, but after the house was sold I never heard from them again. I got no threatening letters, no quarterly reminders of my debt, no half yearly reminders of my debt, or an annual statement of my debt. They know where I live, I'm on the electoral roll, they have my phone numbers. I didn't hear from them for most of 2016, and all of 2017, 2018 and 2019. Nothing. Then today I get a letter saying they've handed my debt to a third party, who now want a few quid short of £3000, payable now!

While this has been going on, me thinking I'm debt free, last year I did a last gasp, "I'm sure there's nothing left to claim, so let Gladstone Brookes have a try, I might get £50 back". Except they hit the jackpot. £4250 near enough. Except NatWest have tried every law, loophole, etc in the book to keep it.

Is it coincidence this "debt" suddenly resurrects itself? Can they do this? I would expect at the very least to have received at least one statement and the odd threatening letter in over three years?

After my suicide bid I'm considered fragile, a vulnerable adult. I've rebuilt my life a little, I live very quietly, unable to work due to illness, I'm going blind, I was going to spend the PPI money on adaptations and gadgets to make life easier for myself. That looks a dim distant prospect now. What was left was going to be my safety net against unexpected costs, or the nightmare of my looming PIP renewal, keep me going while they sort it out and I win in court, again.

So my question is this, can they resurrect a debt that was to all intents and purposes covered by the repossession, that they've not told me about being still owed in just under four years?

I know NatWest want me dead and buried, they sent debt collectors to the mental health unit to continue their assault on me, they had to be chased off by the Police. They weren't impressed. Now British Gas drop the 3000lb weight on me out of the blue? I'll be honest, this is exactly the sort of thing that undermines my recovery. I was coping with life, getting through each month without debt, existing on ESA & PIP, it's a finely balanced thing, I cannot cope with big changes.

Comments

• Streaky_Bacon
    Options
    EricTCat wrote: »
    When my house was sold I was told all my debts were cleared. There was oddly enough no money left over, the fees came to exactly that amount, although I never got a letter detailing that.
    So my question is this, can they resurrect a debt that was to all intents and purposes covered by the repossession, that they've not told me about being still owed in just under four years?

Who told you that all of your debts were cleared when the house was sold?

A creditor has 6 years to start a court claim for a debt. The rules are slightly more complex than that, including when the default occurred, but the timescales you have given would suggest that they can still pursue.

When did they tell you that you were in default?
  • EricTCat
    Options
    They told me in 2014, the last I heard from them was 2016. British Gas old my support worker over the phone that it was all settled. They've not sent any reminders, statements of account, demands for payment, or anything. If I'd had an annual threat I could have done something to reduce it. But nearly four years of utter silence...it's grotesque. They know due to severe illness I'm classed as a vulnerable adult. What they've done, how they've done it, risks triggering me, I might not survive another suicide attempt, I know where I went wrong last time.

NatWest were my major creditor, I was a one stop shopper. When they found out they owed me money they told me that every single avenue would be explored in order to find a way to keep the money.

When it was all going on I was told the house would be sold, all my mortgage, credit card, loan, and other debts settled. I'd get what was left. From your incredulity was I lied to?
  • Streaky_Bacon
    Options
    When it was all going on I was told the house would be sold, all my mortgage, credit card, loan, and other debts settled. I'd get what was left. From your incredulity was I lied to?

No, not necessarily, it is just important to know who was involved and what you were told.

Did you have legal representation at the time, or somebody else who was acting on your behalf?

The details are very important here, especially what was agreed with British Gas and who was involved in that agreement.

I would advise that you initially do the following

1) Send a subject access request to British Gas to get a copy of all information they hold for you
    2) Contact anybody who was acting on your behalf at the time to see if they have further information or can advise you further
    3) Write to British Gas, mark the letter Formal Complaint and tell them that the matter was previously settled (give as much detail as you can) and ask them to hold off on any further enforcement until they have responded to your Formal Complaint and Subject Access Request

The above will start to get you the information you need and also hopefully some breathing room.

Info on Subject Access Request here

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/how-do-i-make-a-subject-access-request
  • EricTCat
    Options
    I had an email, as a result I would like to reassure people my health is ok at the moment. This has shaken me, but I've git lots of support in place. A result of a fashion is at hand, not ideal, but I can live with it

Also I've been pointed down another avenue which may result in an even better resolution.

But I want to stay my comments until resolved.

Thanks for the help and support.

I do need to revisit the period I was very ill, as it looks like we were lied to an awful lot by many people, notably my primary creditors.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure