Edinburgh attractions and things to do (merged)

Options

Comments

• maggiesoup
    maggiesoup Posts: 766 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If you buy your main shop at Tesco, be sure to swap the Clubcard vouchers for Days Out as their value multiplies by 4! i.e. If you get a voucher for £2.50 you can get £2.50 off your next shop OR £10 towards Days Out Vouchers for you and the kids during the summer.

There are dozens of places to go & things to do around Scotland (pick up a booklet in any of the larger shops) or call Tesco free and get them to send you a booklet.
  • toozie_2
    toozie_2 Posts: 3,274 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Managed to book 4 nights in Edinburgh at the end of August with my Tesco Deals, so I'm well pleased, because I haven't actually forked out any money for accomodation!

Just wondered if you lot think The Pass is worth the money. Scanned over the site, and there seems to be quite a few places we'd be interested in. The 3 day pass includes a Bus Pass, but I'm sure I could buy a Bus Pass cheaply enough?

Daughters are 14 & 15, one is very interested in ghosts and ghost walk's (like the one in York?). Hubby will be happy at a Whisky Demonstration, I would like to see the Royal Yatch, and us girls do like shopping! We all like wierd things, like puzzle houses, illusions etc.It will be hard to drag the girls round more than one small museum-although I will try.

The 'eating' sticky has given me some good tips, would I be able to send for The Silver Card, and is it worth buying for 4 days? we are just B&B in our hotel.

The girls love Pizza Hut, I know we'll have to go there once, hopefully I'll have some Lunchion Vouchers from Pinecone to spend there by then. I have signed up to a site-5/something or other-mentioned on eating sticky, which gives you a discount at the Pizza Hut (Princes St?) if you book. Although I didn't think Pizza Hut took bookings. The other meals I would like to eat at lesser known (or not High Street) places.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.............

Thank you in advance
    :j
  • Anne_Marie_2
    Anne_Marie_2 Posts: 2,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Edinburghlass will be the best to advise you possibly on the Edinburgh pass.
    As to the silvercard, got one myself and it more than paid for itself immediately when we ate at Frankensteins. If your girls are into ghosts/ghoulish things, they will love Frankensteins, and the menu is good, wide variety - suggest you book in advance, just in case. Unless it has changed, you have to phone to get silvercard. Lady I spoke to was a gem, sorry cannot remember her name, but did tell her I had been recommended by a member of this site, and advised her to look us up.
    National Museum of Scotland is our favourite, something for everyone there, no matter how against history/museums they are. The millenium clock is amazing - your girls will love it, even if they don't want to go round and see anything else. Best of all museum is free. They do always have a fee paying exhibition on too, but last time we were down it was dinosaurs, and my daughter has outgrown the fascination with them.
    Greyfriars Church and graveyard is worth a visit - being a total coward, have only done that in daylight!
    Just few steps away is a shop called "Joe's" -which has funky jewellery and other bits and pieces, starts off really cheap. Keep heading round on same side and shop on corner which does all kind of clothes for teenagers - can't remember the name of shop, sorry. It isn't cheap, but has different things.
    Fiscals is really good and cheap for food - they serve food there all day, which we love, as often find us having late lunch at 3pm or whatever. Staff are absolutely brilliant and very helpful. They have comfy settees which is much appreciated after plodding about all day, and drink prices are extremely good, whether it be soft or the hard stuff. If couple of you are drinking wine, suggest you buy a bottle, even though you won't drink it all, might be cheaper than having 2 glasses each. They have "specials" on various bottles of wine. Soda water and lime really cheap, and just what you need as thirst quencher!
    Loads of good shopping for weird stuff in Cockburn Street (pronounced Coburn), which is just off the Royal Mile - or just up from Waverley Station from Princes Street end. Loads of other good shops Grassmarket area.
    Edinburghlass will no doubt be able to help here - I know where I want to go/get there, just don't know street names too well, and although I can get there, my explanations are truly bad, so I have been told! Will ask my daughter names of "cool" shops for you to visit, but won't be until Tues/Wed, so will post back then.
    In the meantime, if you can hint at your family's shopping preferences, someone will point you in the right direction.
    Also during summer, Royal Mile and other areas have loads of stalls selling jewellery and goodness knows what else - never have the chance to find out what else!
    Great wee sweetie shop in St Mary Street. This is just off Royal Mile and opposite city centre Travelodge. Old fashioned sweets galore, wonderful chocolates, Edinburgh rock - don't really have a sweet tooth thank goodness, but just had to get a quarter of this and that! Kept seeing sweeties from the past and had to have some. Wonderful lady was refusing to sell me anymore! Am sure she didn't believe that I really don't eat many sweets - I did share them all around when I got home, just not my fault that hardly anyone wanted to try the plain/dark chocolate ones! No idea what they are missing out on - and not telling them!
    You will have a great time in Edinburgh. Just set yourself up with a map - don't buy one, loads free at hotels, make sure everyone is wearing comfy footware, and get walking!
    P.S. You might get bother with suggesting comfy footwear to your daughters - only going on my experience about 3-4 years ago. No matter what you say, they will wear what they want. Some cushioned elastoplast is a must, so advise buying in advance - keep some in handbag!
  • toozie_2
    Options
    Great info Anne_Marie...I'll work backwards with your post!

We'll probably all be in trainer's or flaties, so we're OK there, thanks for the tip!
    We'll definately visit the sweetie shop, I'd prefer a bag of crisps, but Hubby and girls luuuuve sweets.

The girls love different/funky shops, and will have quite a bit of their own dosh (both got summer jobs) and any hip shop would do for them. I prefer bargains ie Boots tarting, Primark, Wilkinsons etc, or maybe seconds shops. I also love rummaging in charity/second hand shops, but these type of places are usually a bit out of the main (posh) shopping center's in big Cities, aren't they. But remember I'll have my trainers on, and can walk miles! Hubby Likes computer/music shops/ and probably anywhere that does wine/whisky tasting!!

We'll definately take a walk round the church you mentioned, daughter who loves ghostly tales also loves graveyards (do you think I'm going to have trouble in the future??!!) And go for a meal at Frankensteins.

Edinburghlass painted out on another thread that it if there was no parking facilities at the hotel, the cheapest, safest place was Airport parking, then catching a bus to town. Could anyone enlighten me further, on parking costs, distance from airport to Princes St, bus costs etc? Thank you.

I've just looked at the Edinburgh Pass (EP) site. The Pass gives you free unlimited travel on any Lothian bus inc. airport transfers..which answers the one of the above questions if I buy the EP.
    The places we'd possibly be interested in which are free after buying the EP are:
    Codies Witchery Tour (there are two different tours-I think)
    Camera Obscra & World of Illusions
    Edinburgh Dungeon
    Dynamic Earth (girls might be bored here-hubby would like it) £24.50 for family ticket on their site.
    The Zoo
    Glenkinchie Distillery
    Hopetoun House (we'd have to go in the car??)
    Mercattours Tours (Couldn't read about this one as the site was down)

The EP also save £2 each on the Edinburgh Bus Tour, and give lots of % off different shops and foodie places-although not the one's Anne_Marie mentioned.

The EP would cost £40 each for 3 days (£160 in total), so we'd have to save over £160 in enterence fee's/bus rides/and money off in various places. But I suppose It's easily done.

Sorry to go on...but it's great to get all this info before we get there. Don't think We'll manage all we want to do in 4 days, the girls (and me) will probably want a full day round the shops too. I can't wait now!!

Thanks toozie
  • Edinburghlass_2
    Edinburghlass_2 Posts: 32,680 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    First of all I know nothing about the Pass, lol, being a resident but if you would get free entry to all those attractions you would probably get your money's worth depending if you have the time to do them all.

The open top Bus tour is quite expensive but it does take you round the city and you can get off an on, one of the stops is Dynamic Earth and the Parliament building nearby which looks fantastic and you can get a tour round and I believe the coffee shop is nice. We were members of Dynamic Earth when my 14 year old was younger and really enjoyed going, she went recently with a trip and still quite enjoyed it. The Bus tour is also good for 24 hours so if you do it in an afternoon you can also get on again the next day. We went to the Zoo for Mother's Day, reduced entry for me of course and we always enjoy it but I have to say as you are going to be in Edinburgh during the Festival there is so much "free" stuff going on that you may not even need or have time to visit attractions. So to be honest I think you could easily spend no money just taking in the atmosphere!

Morningside Road is the best place for charity shops and Causewayside for bric a brac and antique shops. Have to say that Princes Street is no longer "the" place for shopping, loads of cheap book shops, mobile phone shops and tourist shops. Mainly the out of town shopping centres have take over for clothes shops. No Primark or Wilkinson sadly but large shopping centre by Britannia called Ocean Terminal with the usual BHS, M&S food shop, International, nice Baxters shop, Boots etc etc. Once again boarding Britannia is expensive but perhaps the girls could be shopping while Dad goes onboard, lol.

As for ghosties and ghoolies, a night time walking tour from the Witchery is a must, preferably the last one when its really dark but by then the tattoo is on so I am not sure what times and where they depart from during then.
    Also the tour of Mary King's Close is a must although I haven't done it personally. I'll check in a minute as I am sure I have linked to all these websites in another post here.

Parking, I'll pm you about later, Hopetoun House, nice enough but can be missed, lol. Edinburgh Dungeon I'm sure we get reduced ticket prices in Tescos come the tourist season, I'll keep an eye out.

Hanging out my washing before the thunder and lightening comes, its not too far away judging by the clouds so I'll come back to this later ;)
  • Oscar
    Oscar Posts: 922 Forumite
    Options
    Going by your first post Camera Obscura is a must. Glenkinchie Distillery would be good for hubby but you need a car to get there as it is in the middle of no where in East Lothian.(East Lothian is a beautiful county though) I dont know if there any bus tours go there but certainly service buses are few and far between. I do find Dynamic Earth boring its a while since I have been but you could not spend a full day there.

I dont know if the EP card is good value for you or not. I would price the places where you definately want to go to .If you cant find them on the net phone and ask.

I dont use the buses much but I think you can buy a day pass for certain buses and jump on and off as you please.
  • Oscar
    Oscar Posts: 922 Forumite
    Options
    Edinburghlass in right about festival time. You can spend a lot of time in the High Street watching street performers. The council now have it set out into areas where each performer gets an allocated amount of time and space and it is quite organised.
  • Edinburghlass_2
    Edinburghlass_2 Posts: 32,680 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just checked through this thread here and I have linked to the Witchery Tours and Mary King's Close websites in that thread. Both these tours can be done at night so that frees up shopping time in the day!

Judging by reports the Dungeon is expensive and a bit of a waste of money but Camera Obscura gets the thumbs up.

Generally I would say if its only 4 days I wouldn't bother with the Pass as you would find yourselves running around thinking you have to get your £160's worth or is that just a Scottish thing :rotfl:I think you would find yourselves going to attractions that may not be great just because they are "free" with this pass.

The Book Festival will be on, JK Rowling has been known to do readings there, and I have been on a school trip to it where authors talk and read from their books, much more interesting than I thought it would be and plenty geared towards the kids or teenagers.

I'll be back....
  • Anne_Marie_2
    Anne_Marie_2 Posts: 2,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Toozie, tend to agree with Edinburghlass on Edinburgh pass, seems an awful lot of dosh to spend, when there are so many freebies going on at that time, and having time to get round everything. It is all down to personal preference though, may be worth it for your family.
    Did a quick search for airport parking, which is definitely cheaper than parking in Edinburgh using https://www.airportdog.co.uk (sorry can't do the link thing) Prices ranged from £14-£40 for 5 days, so well worth booking in advance. Have used airport bus which is great, think they run every 10/15 mins or so from airport into centre (last stop Waverley Station), takes about 20-30 mins, costs £5 return for adult, £3 for children.
    Will update later if I think of anything else.
  • toozie_2
    Options
    Well, what can I say, loads and loads of info. Feel like I already know the place! We've never even been to Scotland, so I'm looking forward to the trip now.

I think I'll get the girls together, look at the "free with E Pass" places", and try and cost out what we definately would like to see, plus bus fares including travel to and from airport parking, to see if its going to be cost effective. As you say we don't want to have to dash like mad from A to B just because we've bought the EP and feel we have to get our money's worth!

Like the sound of the Fudge Shop, as the hotel has a good breakfast we'll make do with a Boots sandwich or something like for lunch, and eat out in different places at night, then definately go on a ghost walk or 2.

One daughter loves old book shops, would I find them near the Bricabrac/charity shops?

As we live in North Wales, we're going to stay with relatives at the top of Cumbria for a couple of days before our first night in Edinburgh. So we can leave Cumbria very early in the morning and still have plenty of time on our first day, as I know it will all go too quickly. I'm going to look into airport parking later, and price up some places.

You lot are all great, thanks for all the info.

Speak soon

toozie
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills