Insurance for Pet Sitters

Options
:hello:
This summer I looked after various pets for various friends and relatives, either at their house or at mine.
On the event this will become a regular occurrence (but not as a business), I was wondering if there is some kind of insurance I can/should get. Or would I be covered under the owner's pet insurance?
TIA ;)

Comments

• sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,131 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    What insurance cover do you want?

Damage to your house?

Injury to the dog , so vet fees?

Do you get any payment?
  • Ikkinsmiles
    Options
    General cover in case anything happens to the animal, their house, my house, etc while pet in my care.
  • Ikkinsmiles
    Options
    I have found insurance for official Dog Sitters (as a business) but wondered if there was one for as hoc occasions. Paid in cash, gifts or favours.
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    This summer I looked after various pets for various friends and relatives, either at their house or at mine.
    On the event this will become a regular occurrence (but not as a business), I was wondering if there is some kind of insurance I can/should get. Or would I be covered under the owner's pet insurance?

I have found insurance for official Dog Sitters (as a business) but wondered if there was one for as hoc occasions. Paid in cash, gifts or favours.

That is still payment and still officially classed as a (part time/ small scale/ hobby/ casual) business. You could end up in hot water if you mislead an insurance provider. Worst case you get a criminal record for insurance fraud or benefit fraud (if you claim certain things).

No doubt you do not get paid enough to register with Companies House or declare to HMRC, which is perhaps what you are thinking of?

But you/ friends/ relatives should all read the small print on your home insurance, sitters insurance, pet insurance etc. They LOVE to wriggle out of claims because you did not tell them something seemingly small.

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/news/article-4445308/7-crafty-ways-boost-income-without-paying-tax.html
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport