Insurance cancelled due to faulty blackbox (RESOLVED)

JordanB96
JordanB96 Posts: 19 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
edited 23 June 2019 at 9:12PM in Insurance & life assurance
Hi guys

So im after a little advice, my girlfriend had her insurance policy cancelled due to speeding on 3 occasions. We have checked the app and it shows where the speeding started and ended. Now we have also checked other journeys to see if the gps is accurate. The gps states the car starts its journey about a 100m away feom our actual house on every occasion. The road she was so say caught speeding on goes from 30 to 60. She was recorded so say at 54 in a 30 but we know for a fact its not correct. The gps being 100M out everytime makes sense as its recorded her doing 54mph when infact she was 100m further down the road in the 60mph limit and not the 30mph limit. We have contacted general accident via the email provided and its been 7 days with no repsonse other than a cancellation letter. We can prove the gps is out and its been cancelled through no fault of her own we just cant get hold of anyone at general accident. After explaining everything does anyone know what rights we have and where we stand, can we appeal and who too? Thanks for any replys and advice

Comments

• Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Whenever you are not happy with your insurance company the route to go down is a complaint in line with their complaints procedure

Then if you are not happy with the reply or they ignore you for 8 weeks you can escalate to the FOS for their adjudication at no cost to you
  • jonesMUFCforever
    jonesMUFCforever Posts: 28,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    How can you prove the GPS is wrong?
  • alfie1950
    alfie1950 Posts: 166 Forumite
    If you've ever genuinely looked into speeding you will find that GPS is more accurate than the speedometer in the car.....stop clutching at straws !
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,816 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    alfie1950 wrote: »
    If you've ever genuinely looked into speeding you will find that GPS is more accurate than the speedometer in the car.....stop clutching at straws !
    OP is not complaining about the accuracy of the speed but the accuracy of the location.

OP, on what dates were these over speeds ?
  • Uxb1
    Uxb1 Posts: 732 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    The OP are saying the position of where the GPS data thinks the speed limit starts and ends is incorrect - not the value of the GPS speed they were doing.
    Yes - the GPS calculated speed is more accurate/true than the car's speedo says and if the car was on a straight level road then the GPS would be very close to the true speed.
    But I've often found on in-car sat navs that they bleep at me to say I'm exceeding the speed limit when actually I past the change of speed limit signs to a higher one a 100 yards plus back - so I'm not.
  • marlot
    marlot Posts: 4,932 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 22 May 2019 at 7:46PM
    I've had incar satnavs get confused on location. I've also had times where my phone is confused.

Plus on startup, the location can be wrong whilst the unit is fixing on to satellites.

So yes, they can get the location wrong. I can easily imagine it showing a spike when it suddenly relocates.
  • lopsyfa
    lopsyfa Posts: 473 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    It is time people stop taking out this black box insurance because I have now seen many cases of GPS error or faulty black box resulting in car insurance being cancelled. In the end, the lower cost of black box is not worth it compared to the effect of cancelled insurance.

Until the black box technology matured and insurance companies start applying more common sense, the consumers should simply stop apply for such cover.

My experience is similar to the poster above, I have waze set to alert me when I am about 5% above the speed limit and the alert usually comes when I am about 2 seconds into a new speed limit. I can imagine if I have a black box, my insurance could have been cancelled. These people need to build some tolerance into the system.

This will not help the OP but raising a complaint with the company and pursuing it to the Ombudsman will help. Keep a record of the journeys where the black box has reported speeding. If you can prove the location is +/100m to a change of speed limit, you will little change to win the appeal.

I will however advice to cancel the black box insurance if you are successful in overturning the cancellation because you may not be too lucky next time. Better to pay a little more and get insurance without telematics.
  • jonesMUFCforever
    jonesMUFCforever Posts: 28,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    lopsyfa wrote: »
    It is time people stop taking out this black box insurance because I have now seen many cases of GPS error or faulty black box resulting in car insurance being cancelled. In the end, the lower cost of black box is not worth it compared to the effect of cancelled insurance.

Until the black box technology matured and insurance companies start applying more common sense, the consumers should simply stop apply for such cover.

My experience is similar to the poster above, I have waze set to alert me when I am about 5% above the speed limit and the alert usually comes when I am about 2 seconds into a new speed limit. I can imagine if I have a black box, my insurance could have been cancelled. These people need to build some tolerance into the system.

This will not help the OP but raising a complaint with the company and pursuing it to the Ombudsman will help. Keep a record of the journeys where the black box has reported speeding. If you can prove the location is +/100m to a change of speed limit, you will little change to win the appeal.

I will however advice to cancel the black box insurance if you are successful in overturning the cancellation because you may not be too lucky next time. Better to pay a little more and get insurance without telematics.

Why do you need an alert to be told that you are speeding?
    Do you not take any notice of the road signs??
  • rudekid48
    rudekid48 Posts: 2,382 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    OP, you can't draw the conclusion that the GPS is always 100m out because of the start of journeys. All GPS devices take a short time to connect to satellites and get a location fix. The time it takes will vary by location, weather conditions, where the device is within the vehicle and several other factors. Your argument would carry more weight if it was consistently 100m out at the END of a journey. Also, unless you are the US military, GPS is never 100% accurate but when performing well should be accurate to 3-10 metres.

The 5% speed example given by another poster is not relevant to your case. I'm not aware of any black-box insurer who would cancel cover for 3 'strikes' of 5% over - it is usually a pretty high threshold to get cancelled - most I've seen range from 30%-50% over the limit for a 'strike' or 100% over or 100mph for instant 7 day notice of cancellation.

54 in a 30 is not a minor infringement - it's the difference between life & death for an unfortunate pedestrian.
    All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.
  • lopsyfa
    lopsyfa Posts: 473 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 23 May 2019 at 8:18PM
    Why do you need an alert to be told that you are speeding?
    Do you not take any notice of the road signs??

I am sorry what?

I don’t want to go into any unnecessary debate with you that does not help the OP.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure