Admiral Plug and Drive, don't have a 12v socket!

Options
smipsy
smipsy Posts: 203 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
edited 21 July 2019 at 4:13PM in Insurance & life assurance
Hi everyone,

So I started a policy with Admiral, expecting their blackbox to be installed behind my dashboard. However, I got an email from them saying they'll send a plug and drive unit which I just plug into my 12v socket.

Except that I don't have a 12v socket! They have a contact number which says they're open until 8pm on a Sunday, but when I call it, I just get a message they're closed!

Has anyone had this happen by any chance? I have no problem plugging their devices in, but I have nowhere to plug them in! Now I'm panicking about whatever extra charges they might slap onto me because they'll somehow make it into my fault!

Any advice is welcome!

Comments

• AndyCF
    AndyCF Posts: 748 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You don't have an 'accessory socket then ? Formely the 'cigar lighter' although if memory serves, the socket is the same, merely has a blank/cap on it instead of the lighter element.

A visit to an auto electrician may be needed then to add one if you're not up to wiring one in yourself (avoid this if car is under warranty and ask dealer)

What car is this btw ? I was not aware of any without said 'accessory socket but it does not surprise me that much thinking about it again. I half suspect you might actually find one in the rear boot/hatch area if its a larger car.
  • smipsy
    Options
    I mean, I have a cigarette lighter, but my manual strictly dictates not to use that one with electrical devices for longer periods of time!

it's a 59 plate Audi A3. some of them have one in the boot, yes, but not mine. I've searched the glove box and the centre console for anything looking like a socket, but there aren't any!
  • AndyCF
    AndyCF Posts: 748 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Right OK.

Going to assume the plug on the 'plug/drive' unit is the regular 'cigar lighter' type plug yes ? I can't see it being much different as that still appears to be the standard(ish) accessory socket, unless its USB powered ?

Do you have any USB charging sockets in that car actually ? I'm thinking along the lines of the device may be available with a USB power lead instead (ideally if it is, they should send you one free)

I would suspect the manual is likely referring to high current drawing devices perhaps, one of those 'travel kettle' things or a mini fridge maybe.

Slightly reluctant to post what I am thinking as if anything went wrong etc etc. Is there a label on said 'magic box of tricks' saying how much current it takes ? I bet its quite low like 200mA or less. Having said that a word at the Audi dealer perhaps, showing them said box to see what they think ? If you still use them then I can't see them being funny (or wanting to charge you!) to ask a question. :)
  • smipsy
    Options
    haven't got the plug and drive device yet, so don't know what it looks like, but from what i've seen online it does look like a typical "cigar plug", and the manual doesn't say anything about any specific devices, high current or otherwise, just states "do not use for longer periods of time".

no usb sockets either, just that one cigarette lighter unfortunately! nothing to do with an audi dealer, so at the moment I guess I can only hope admiral will switch me to the "regular" blackbox for free when i tell them about it.
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    smipsy wrote: »
    just states "do not use for longer periods of time".

If it's a real glow ligter it just refers to using that as that would be silly and melt it. Normal devices are fine.

But seriously ditch this stupid insurance and pay more. You will regret it if you don't.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It just plugs into the cigarette lighter.
    Same tech that has been in use for decades, so I doubt Audi has added anything fancy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7cBx2QTmq4
  • smipsy
    Options
    Carrot007 wrote: »
    If it's a real glow ligter it just refers to using that as that would be silly and melt it. Normal devices are fine.

But seriously ditch this stupid insurance and pay more. You will regret it if you don't.

this is how it's written in my manual:

"Caution

The cigarette lighter socket should only be used for a short period of time as a power source for electrical equipment. Please use electrical sockets* in the vehicle when connecting equipment for longer periods."

the * above of course to refers to actual 12v sockets should the car have them, and my car doesn't.
  • ciderboy2009
    ciderboy2009 Posts: 1,158 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    If the socket is capable of powering a cigarette lighter (even if just for intermittent use) then it is more than capable of powering this black box all the time.

That bit in the manual is just Audi covering their backside and/or trying to sell you a separate socket.

Admiral would not be supplying anything if there was a possibility of it damaging the car.

Be very careful about refusing to use the device Admiral supply - the last thing you want is a cancelled insurance policy against your name.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It will handle 10 amps for short periods and at 2amps it shoudl run 24/7 without getting much above ambient temperature.

A black box using miniscule amounts of power is no issues.

Is the wording not to use it for long with the engine off?
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure