DMP Mutual Support Thread - Part 12

Options

Comments

• Suseka97
    Suseka97 Posts: 1,562 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    ploppy57 wrote: »
    .....you have done well to have cleared that amount of debt in only a few years. Ours will take years, even if we go back to what we were paying before going SM, so hoping for some F&F's in the not too distant future.
    I think I know we are doing the right thing, playing the long game. But it makes me feel slightly guilty that we are not paying it back quicker.

That's kind of you to say, but in truth our repayments were crippling. For 3 1/2 to 4 years of living hand to mouth because we had the (wrong) mindset that it was best to knuckle down and get the debts paid off as quickly as possible, regardless of the hardship it caused us. At one point it put me into a spiral of depression and I retreated into a bit of a shell and for a good time stayed away from this forum because I really just couldn't handle it. I can't recall what brought me back - but on my return I started to read more and more about people taking control and going self-managed and that's when I had my 2nd lightbulb moment.

That's why I say over and over again to new DMPers to not rush into things, to take stock and build up EFs. Also to not be bullied or pressurised by creditors and/or DCAs. It's also why I advocate that people should research this thread and other platforms -because knowing your rights and gaining knowledge is power.

I understand where your 'guilt' stems from and how the years ahead may seem daunting -but you are in a better place today than you were when you started -and as each month/year rolls past, your situation improves (even if just by a small margin). There are folks out there who duck and dive to avoid their financial commitments - that's not what you are doing, rather you are handling things at your own pace and you are taking control of your financial future :T
  • chereb
    chereb Posts: 24 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, stepchange have now contacted all my creditors with payment offers. Default notices if i dont pay are starting to trickle in mow. What do o do about these? Do i ignore or contact the credit card companies? Thanks
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,888 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    chereb wrote: »
    Hi, stepchange have now contacted all my creditors with payment offers. Default notices if i dont pay are starting to trickle in mow. What do o do about these? Do i ignore or contact the credit card companies? Thanks

They are standard legal notices they must send by law.

Ignore them.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • LexieLou
    LexieLou Posts: 714 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    so I've started to call the people owe money too. most have recommended contacting SC and asking them to do all the work for me. Is this something that anyone can recommend?

Also, I have 2 cards with 0% interest and I am loathed to contact them about my situation as i'm paying my debt to them @ 0% so contacting them would change that. God, I don't know what to do.
    I'm in the middle of filling in the SC debt remedy tool....

How did you all build up your emergency fund?
    £38,000 and change to £0
  • LexieLou
    Options
    OK I've just called Stepchange and i can pay back the money I owe in 5 yrs and 5 months....I cried when I said thank you to the lady on the phone. She was so utterly lovely... For now I think I will do Stepchange as I cannot cope with contacting all CC's individually.
    £38,000 and change to £0
  • jak669
    jak669 Posts: 23 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    This site is excellent. I am so thankful to everyone on here for putting up there stories and offering advice. Yesterday I was having a meltdown worrying about contacting my creditors but thanks to good advice on here I have now contacted 5 of the 9 and they have been really supportive.

Marks and spencer have put a hold on my account for 30 days
    Mbna stopped all interest and charges for 30!!!8217;days
    Post office put a hold on interest and charges for 2 months
    Lloyds wouldn!!!8217;t stop interest but put a hold on overdraft fees for 30 days

This gives me a chance to set up my payments and sort paperwork with Stepchange.

I can!!!8217;t believe I have actually started contacting them. Still have santander., shawbrook and Barclays to go but it doesn!!!8217;t seem as daunting now.

Obviously this is very early stages for me but this thread has made it so much easier and really reassured me. Thank you everyone.
  • LexieLou
    Options
    jak669 wrote: »

This gives me a chance to set up my payments and sort paperwork with Stepchange.

I can!!!8217;t believe I have actually started contacting them. Still have santander., shawbrook and Barclays to go but it doesn!!!8217;t seem as daunting now.

Obviously this is very early stages for me but this thread has made it so much easier and really reassured me. Thank you everyone.

I've just contacted Barclays, they were amazing. Good luck my friend...i'm with you every step of the way.
    £38,000 and change to £0
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Suseka97 wrote: »
    That's kind of you to say, but in truth our repayments were crippling. For 3 1/2 to 4 years of living hand to mouth because we had the (wrong) mindset that it was best to knuckle down and get the debts paid off as quickly as possible, regardless of the hardship it caused us. At one point it put me into a spiral of depression and I retreated into a bit of a shell and for a good time stayed away from this forum because I really just couldn't handle it. I can't recall what brought me back - but on my return I started to read more and more about people taking control and going self-managed and that's when I had my 2nd lightbulb moment.

That's why I say over and over again to new DMPers to not rush into things, to take stock and build up EFs. Also to not be bullied or pressurised by creditors and/or DCAs. It's also why I advocate that people should research this thread and other platforms -because knowing your rights and gaining knowledge is power.

I understand where your 'guilt' stems from and how the years ahead may seem daunting -but you are in a better place today than you were when you started -and as each month/year rolls past, your situation improves (even if just by a small margin). There are folks out there who duck and dive to avoid their financial commitments - that's not what you are doing, rather you are handling things at your own pace and you are taking control of your financial future :T
    We started off paying a lot more per month with SC for the first 6 months and then I got made redundant and rushed into a job that was way out of my comfort zone and way too many hours for me, just because I wanted to get debts paid. Like you, it made me ill and I ended up on the sick with anxiety for a while. So now I have a job I love but not so many hours.
    Think I will feel better about it in a few months when we are in a position to offer some F&F's maybe. One debt is down to under £200 so I intend to get that one paid in a couple of months and will feel better to have one completely gone.:T
  • NewbieNat
    NewbieNat Posts: 61 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    As my name suggests, I am new to DMP land, My first payment to SC is next week. I just wanted to reassure others just starting out. Please don't be sick with worry about contacting creditors, to tell them of your financial difficulties. I was in such a state I took a day off sick from work (my first sickie in 2 years) to call all 10 of my creditors. It really wasn't a traumatic experience at all, they were all matter of fact about it, well they would be as it's their job! I think SC or whoever your DMP is with can do this for you if you are starting your DMP right away. I needed to start that EF before I signed up, so called creditors & asked for the 30-day breathing space, which most extended for a further 30 days. It really isn't awful at all, they are just people doing their job. Take a deep breath, pick up the phone and get it over and done with. In the grand scheme of all things, its just phone conversations. You can then relax in knowing you have taken the first step to eventual financial freedom. :-)
  • Mcqueenm
    Options
    Hi All,
    I've been on a DMP for about 10 years. the last company were really good but no longer exist. i was transferred to Gregory Pennington and have found them to be very aggressive in their approach. I feel likeIi did at day 1 again. inadequate and useless.

I cancelled my DD in protest and rang someone else a free 'pay plan'company (yes in haste).

I am looking at doing the DMP myself but am not experienced in this area. I have a few questions if anyone could help me. I am scared of doing this but i know once I've done the first one i will feel happier about what i am doing.

are these companies approachable
    what do they need from me
    is it best to call them or send them a letter. ( i have been advised to ring them for a grace month whilst i sort this out as i cancelled the direct debit)

thank you
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport