Balance transfer advice

Options
Hello fellow moneysavers,

Looking for a bit of advice on preparing for some BTs in late 2018 and early 2019 when my 0% deals end, which will be my first rollover of stoozed money. I have about £15,000 to roll over, currently split across two cards close to their limits, plus another £10,000 on other cards that will run on a bit longer. Credit score not currently great - between poor and fair on Experian, probs because I just got a charge card for a signup bonus - though has a bit of time to improve.

What’s the best tactic for rolling over the funds? Specially, I’m wondering:

- Do I apply for a bunch of cards at once hoping to get a few cards to cover the whole balance before the applications get through to my report and hit my score? Or will that not work/have a bad long-term effect?

- Is it worth paying my existing cards down a bit, e.g. to 75% utilisation on each down from 95%, to boost likelihood of getting new 0% cards?

- Should I cancel my charge card beforehand, since doing so won’t hurt my utilisation % (because it doesn’t have a disclosed limit) but will reduce my balance/number of accounts?

Any other tips on how to successfully roll the money over would be appreciated!

Thanks very much for any advice.

Comments

• Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    Options
    You have quite a lot of stoozing debt. I think that you are probably going to have to repay most of it before you will be able to roll it over.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure