Global Shipping Programme Query

Options
I listed a sewing machine which weighs an absolute ton - its an old one in a wooden case. I listed it for collection only due to size and weight however it has been purchased by a buyer in Qatar who has paid £140 to have it posted via the global shipping programme. What I would like to know is who pays for it to be posted to the distribution centre in the UK - looking at the label I need to print it seems postage is only paid from there to Qatar. It would cost me more than i got for the item to send it to the UK distribution centre. Any idea what I can do re. the postage ? I thought the amount the buyer had paid would include my postage costs but it seems it doesn't. Help !!

Comments

• soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,261 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I listed a sewing machine which weighs an absolute ton - its an old one in a wooden case. I listed it for collection only due to size and weight however it has been purchased by a buyer in Qatar who has paid £140 to have it posted via the global shipping programme. What I would like to know is who pays for it to be posted to the distribution centre in the UK - looking at the label I need to print it seems postage is only paid from there to Qatar. It would cost me more than i got for the item to send it to the UK distribution centre. Any idea what I can do re. the postage ? I thought the amount the buyer had paid would include my postage costs but it seems it doesn't. Help !!

You do , you use whatever postage method you offered on the original listing. You say it was colelction only but are you sure? Unless ebay is glitchy again (and it often is) collection only should say only that on the listing with no postage offered at all - unfortunately if you sell using one of the basic selling templates and am unsure about ebay it is easy to overlook all the boxes you need to cancel out shipping options. if you are unsure how to check view your listing without opening it- as if you were a buyer- what does it say under shipping?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • soolin
    Options
    I can't always explain what I mean, but if you look at this current listing https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-SINGER-201K-Portable-Electric-Sewing-Machine-With-Case/123960938202?hash=item1cdca5ceda:g:q10AAOSwU0VdvWY9
    poor seller has 83p showing as postage (his disclaimer in the decription will not help)

This item has been set up correctly as Collection only
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/singer-sewing-machine-table/193180610009?hash=item2cfa762dd9:g:vc0AAOSwjKddtyvk

and as such is not eligible for the GSP.

Here's another one set up correctly:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-1910-Singer-Treadle-Sewing-Machine-with-extension-table/184012626432?hash=item2ad801da00:g:qDYAAOSwBsldtz4N
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Ladylusiphur
    Options
    From my own experiences, if I sell something with shipping of (for example) £5 within the UK, then when an international bidder uses the global shipping programme I receive the same payment I would have done if it had been a UK bidder. (whatever the item sold for plus £5 for postage). Whatever else the buyer is charged for shipping goes direct to eBay. I can then use the £5 to ship to the eBay warehouse, same as I would any other bidder.

It seems strange that they even allow you to use the Global Shipping system on collection-only items, it should at least warn you that you'll incur additional costs before completing the listing and give you the option to list a shipping fee to the distribution centre in that circumstance. As Soolin says in the posts above, it's likely an error made during listing so it may be best to find out if you can just cancel the sale, as I doubt you'd be able to charge additional postage now.

Can I also say, I love the Global Shipping system as a seller, it makes life so much easier not having to work out prices and customs forms for myself and people seem to receive their packages really quickly. As a buyer I absolutely hate it as the amount they charge for small items is obscene!!!
  • soolin
    Options
    From my own experiences, if I sell something with shipping of (for example) £5 within the UK, then when an international bidder uses the global shipping programme I receive the same payment I would have done if it had been a UK bidder. (whatever the item sold for plus £5 for postage). Whatever else the buyer is charged for shipping goes direct to eBay. I can then use the £5 to ship to the eBay warehouse, same as I would any other bidder.

It seems strange that they even allow you to use the Global Shipping system on collection-only items, it should at least warn you that you'll incur additional costs before completing the listing and give you the option to list a shipping fee to the distribution centre in that circumstance. As Soolin says in the posts above, it's likely an error made during listing so it may be best to find out if you can just cancel the sale, as I doubt you'd be able to charge additional postage now.

Can I also say, I love the Global Shipping system as a seller, it makes life so much easier not having to work out prices and customs forms for myself and people seem to receive their packages really quickly. As a buyer I absolutely hate it as the amount they charge for small items is obscene!!!

Global shipping is not available on collection only items so there was an error in the way the listing was set up.

Unfortunately collection only seems to be a problem for casual sellers and a quick rummage through the current listings show an awful lot of people with descriptions saying 'collection only' but where postage is still showing as available, or even at a stupid cost like the example I show above where the seller has unfortunately charged 83p to post a sewing machine.
  • soolin
    Options
    It is a shame the OP never came back to update but looking at other threads they don't seem to bother, and I assume by now the item has been cancelled or sent somewhere as this is the third working day since the question was asked. I have been trying to think how best to sort this but would have needed OP to confirm how their auction dealt with postage to give a better response.

I always think it a shame to ask a question, expect people to answer and then just never come back. At least we have had a chance to perhaps highlight to other newbies the importance of setting up collection only item sales on ebay, and as a final remark would suggest that any newbies also read this sticky thread:

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=65282064#post65282064
  • lindens
    lindens Posts: 2,870 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    soolin wrote: »

I always think it a shame to ask a question, expect people to answer and then just never come back. At least we have had a chance to perhaps highlight to other newbies the importance of setting up collection only item sales on ebay, and as a final remark would suggest that any newbies also read this sticky thread:

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=65282064#post65282064

It a shame - and bad manners!
    You're not your * could have not of * Debt not dept *
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills