Brain cancer/Cancelling booking

Options
2»

Comments

• christaitfife
    christaitfife Posts: 168 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sadly, they are not doing anything illegal or unjust. You should always buy travel insurance when you book - I know this isn't too helpful right now. In terms of the booking, was it made with a credit card or through a 'packaged' bank account - if so it may be worth getting in touch with them to see if there is any coverage there.

Obviously priorities have now changed for your family. If it is the person who has now been diagnosed with cancer who is the person who made the booking it may be worth them stating that their financial priorities are now very different and they are unable to make any more payments.

No matter the route you go down you will have to prove the diagnosis. This is because many people claim to be ill to try and get out of contracts etc. So get a letter from a doctor confirming the diagnosis sooner rather than later.

My thoughts are with your grandmother.
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    SmwSmw wrote: »
    Due to it being in excess of three months, they had yet to take out travel insurance.

Sorry, it's a hard lesson your family has just learned, you take out insurance the moment you part with a penny to cover circumstances like this. An expensive error that has now left you at the mercy of any goodwill gesture from Lastminute.com outside of the T&C's you agreed to.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,761 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Do any of them have the packaged bank accounts that include travel insurance?
    That might cover some of the costs as long as your grandmother wasn't having any tests at the time the booking was made.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • SmwSmw
    SmwSmw Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Sadly, they are not doing anything illegal or unjust. You should always buy travel insurance when you book - I know this isn't too helpful right now. In terms of the booking, was it made with a credit card or through a 'packaged' bank account - if so it may be worth getting in touch with them to see if there is any coverage there.

Obviously priorities have now changed for your family. If it is the person who has now been diagnosed with cancer who is the person who made the booking it may be worth them stating that their financial priorities are now very different and they are unable to make any more payments.

No matter the route you go down you will have to prove the diagnosis. This is because many people claim to be ill to try and get out of contracts etc. So get a letter from a doctor confirming the diagnosis sooner rather than later.

My thoughts are with your grandmother.

Thank you for your thoughts. It is very much appreciated.

As I’ve said it isn’t my holiday and whilst I would have taken out immediate travel insurance they didn’t and I am attempting to deal with it as they are trying to come to terms with what is happening.

I have attempted to show that both my family and Grandmothers priorities have changed. We have been advised that IF my Grandmother survives it will be a long process of recovery and she will require around the clock care, which means not only my family taking extended periods of unpaid time away from work, but paying for carers, respite etc.

I have spoken with the hospital and they will not provide such ‘proof’ until her discharge (which will not be in the immediate future) or until she dies.

Many thanks for your advice.
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    SmwSmw wrote: »
    Thank you for your thoughts. It is very much appreciated.

As I’ve said it isn’t my holiday and whilst I would have taken out immediate travel insurance they didn’t and I am attempting to deal with it as they are trying to come to terms with what is happening.

I have attempted to show that both my family and Grandmothers priorities have changed. We have been advised that IF my Grandmother survives it will be a long process of recovery and she will require around the clock care, which means not only my family taking extended periods of unpaid time away from work, but paying for carers, respite etc.

I have spoken with the hospital and they will not provide such ‘proof’ until her discharge (which will not be in the immediate future) or until she dies.

Many thanks for your advice.
    Very nice of you to try to help.
  • Archergirl
    Archergirl Posts: 1,767 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Did they try the packaged bank account route? If they have that a doctors letter should suffice to prove the illness.
  • cazziebo
    cazziebo Posts: 3,209 Forumite
    Options
    We were taking 9 family members on holiday to Florida. Cost was around £20k. One of the members was told she couldn't fly because of pregnancy complications. Our insurance company paid every penny. I would always take insurance out as soon as a holiday is booked.

but you are where you are. Has your GM got insurance with her bank account? The designated oncology nurse can supply the evidence that is required.
  • iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Whilst it is right to point out that taking insurance out straight away needs to be done so others reading this can learn form this situation.

I don't think it is fair for numerous posters to keep pointing out the same thing. This is a tragic situation and it doesn't help everyone rubbing it in, it wasn't even the OP who booked the holiday.

OP I would get back onto the CEO, have your tried contacting them via social media, they won't want to come across as a callous company so this may help.

If all else fails just remember at the end of the day it is only money.
  • gettingtheresometime
    Options
    Whilst it is right to point out that taking insurance out straight away needs to be done so others reading this can learn form this situation.

I don't think it is fair for numerous posters to keep pointing out the same thing. This is a tragic situation and it doesn't help everyone rubbing it in, it wasn't even the OP who booked the holiday.

OP I would get back onto the CEO, have your tried contacting them via social media, they won't want to come across as a callous company so this may help.

If all else fails just remember at the end of the day it is only money.

I think sometimes people post their reply not realising that others have made the same point.

As far as embarrassing the company is concerned, you have to remember that at the moment lastminute have only been told that the grandmother is gravely ill - they've been given no proof and whilst it sounds callous, how do they know that the family aren't trying to pull a fast one?

Personally I would be contacting the hospital again and asking if an exception can be made and 'proof' be supplied asap...after all if the grandmother had taken out insurance then this proof would be needed to claim, so (in my eyes at least) there is very little difference.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    kdior wrote: »
    Go to phoenix tears website and read the information there. It is used in certain cases to treat with great success and it costs nothing.
    There is information on the phoenix tears website.
    This is not spam. Registered just to answer this thread as this could save lives.

It absolutely is spam, and you should be utterly ashamed of yourself for trying to take advantage of the situation. Hopefully a forum ban will be heading your way very shortly.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure