Woodford Concerns

Options

Comments

• Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,287 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    redux wrote: »
    Some are across many kinds of business (insurance brokers, digital publishers, allsorts), rather than just speculative technological startups. 3i might be one to look at for people particularly interested in that area, and with staff who might know more than Woodford, but it's been doing so well the shares are at quite a premium at the moment. (This isn't investment advice.)

An interesting comment. I bought 3i some time ago, thinking of it as essentially an infrastructure trust (I regard wi-fi systems and mobile telephone as infrastructure rather than 'speculative technological startups). Has it changed direction since then?
  • Brian65
    Brian65 Posts: 255 Forumite
    Options
    Jonbvn wrote: »
    It is pure madness that HL continue to send out this marketing (junk mail) via post.
    The fact HL have made so much money suggests otherwise.
    If that doesn't work, what does?
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    Options
    An interesting comment. I bought 3i some time ago, thinking of it as essentially an infrastructure trust (I regard wi-fi systems and mobile telephone as infrastructure rather than 'speculative technological startups). Has it changed direction since then?

3i is a private equity investment company which runs a number of investment funds for institutional investors and holds some investments itself. You can invest in it on the stock exchange. It also manages 3i Infrastructure plc which is the company of which you're probably thinking.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    bowlhead99 wrote: »
    IMHO there are some interesting businesses which aren't obvious duds, even if some are very pre-revenue or even pre-product .

Yes I know you have a bee in your bonnet about Industrial Heat for example, but that doesn't mean the emperor is wearing no clothes.

My position is that IH is a clear pointer to the quality of the research into the others, hence my scepticism of them. There may be some gems there but Is there a Theranos or three in there as well? Hard to know from the outside.
    At least with listed companies there's an independent arbiter for the value rather than Link with a track record of catastrophic / inept valuations ,plus it's easier to sell to the greater fool even if they really are duds.
    If you take a company in this area that has a track record of this, 3i for example, their valuations I'd be happy with. WPCT was clearly a newbie at this and has come short on multiple counts. I understand the concept of taking a flyer but this is too akin to going for the unfancied runner in the 330 at Kempton for me. Good luck to you though.
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    Options
    AnotherJoe wrote: »
    If you take a company in this area that has a track record of this, 3i for example, their valuations I'd be happy with. WPCT was clearly a newbie at this and has come short on multiple counts. I understand the concept of taking a flyer but this is too akin to going for the unfancied runner in the 330 at Kempton for me. Good luck to you though.
    Point taken but 3i pretty much gave up doing early stage investments in startups over a decade ago. The venture side of their business shrunk after losing a billion or more in the 2000 tech bubble crash.

They know what they are doing in mid market buyouts, growth capital and infrastructure though. You might be happy with those values, but you can't buy 3i in the market at 32% discount to last reported NAV :)
  • redux
    redux Posts: 22,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

I didn't mean to imply that speculative startups is what it does, more than it has had some technological focus (though it now also has what we might deem more mainstream stuff like reinsurance and a ferry company).

Woodford seems to be trying to be in even earlier, seeding research projects even before they all succeed, get going a bit and then need capital to expand, which might be a more typical time for the venture capital to come in.
  • dividendhero
    dividendhero Posts: 2,417 Forumite
    Options
    AnotherJoe wrote: »
    My position is that IH is a clear pointer to the quality of the research into the others, hence my scepticism of them. .

Agree 100%, while Woodford himself might not know the difference between fusion & fission, never mind the intracies of binding energy and the coulomb barrier - there are Science PhD's on the board of Woodford and it's quite easy to hire in an adviser from a University. Even a lecturer in physics would spot IH's science as duff :mad:
  • newatc
    newatc Posts: 846 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    arnoldy wrote: »
    Yes shameful. Hargreaves have sold out of a fund they relentlessly pushed on the poverty 50 list to small investors - further compounding losses for the direct small investor.

But I'm not surprised. The game plan now is to expunge Woodford from the HL Corporate memory. Soon he will be the "Fund Manager Whose Name Cannot be Mentioned" in HL Head Office.

Any documents appertaining to the Fund-Manager-Whose-Name-Cannot-be-Mentioned will be kept in the restricted section of the HL archives.

But HL rehabilitation into civilised Society will be a long and difficult process, after this latest demonstration of their behaviours -almost simultaneously selling to clients and getting out before themselves before their direct clients.

In a year's time they will showing stats on how the then "current" Wealth 50 has done over the last 5 years without drawing attention to then forgotten Woodford fund losses.
  • Uxb1
    Uxb1 Posts: 732 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Article from DT claiming that upon re-opening (sometime) investors in the fund wanting to withdraw would be subject to a haircut (though not that they call it that naturally...).
    All to dissuade them from selling of course
    Shades of the Equitable Life fiasco come to mind where the haircut was applied in reverse to encourage those to sell and those that remained came off worse as the haircut got deeper each time.
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/investing/funds/trapped-woodford-investors-face-punishing-charges-sell/
  • Perhaps
    Perhaps Posts: 28 Forumite
    Options
    Jonbvn wrote: »
    It is pure madness that HL continue to send out this marketing (junk mail) via post. Does anyone even read it? However, our rabbits would like to thank HL for keeping them warm:p

It's a marketing channel. HL's customers are often beginner investors, those who keep meaning to start investing but never quite getting round to it. Post is a good way to get in front of people who wouldn't otherwise pay attention (either those who don't do lots of electronic communication, or a way to get the attention of those who are already overloaded by electronic media). If you already know you want an investment platform and what you want it for, you aren't HL's target market.

Post isn't cheap, but then neither are HL.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback