Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    How long were you working there for?
  • Siobhan7
    Siobhan7 Posts: 73 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Only started 1st July.

When I started there was a huge backlog and also the other two people that could do what I was employed for were on annual leave for a majority of that.
  • Gavin83
    Gavin83 Posts: 8,751 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Siobhan7 wrote: »
    It’s just crap. If that’s the case then I wish they were honest. I’ve been questioning myself all morning. I feel totally useless now.

Racking my brains for any thing I’ve done so catastrophically wrong to deserve being let go but nothing.

If they were honest and told you it was temporary to clear a backlog you'd likely have not taken the job or requested a higher salary to account for the shorter period of employment. It's both potentially cheaper and easier for them to just not mention it.

Not 'right' morally but certainly not illegal.

It probably isn't you so just try and put it behind you, move on and find another better role.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I know the other week I heard them all talking saying business wasn't great, there weren't enough candidates for the roles (I worked in recruitment) or more roles were being filled elsewhere.
    Gavin83 wrote: »
    If they were honest and told you it was temporary to clear a backlog you'd likely have not taken the job or requested a higher salary to account for the shorter period of employment. It's both potentially cheaper and easier for them to just not mention it.

Not 'right' morally but certainly not illegal.

It probably isn't you so just try and put it behind you, move on and find another better role.

Siobhan - the days of sickness were probably just a coincidence - you've done what they wanted and now they're letting you go - not illegal but very bad form for a recruitment company!

If they are feeling guilty about using you like this, they may pull out all the stops to get you a good position to move to. :)
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Only started 1st July.

When I started there was a huge backlog and also the other two people that could do what I was employed for were on annual leave for a majority of that.

I dare say that having almost a week on the sick after just over a month into a new job didn’t help either ! Lol
  • Siobhan7
    Siobhan7 Posts: 73 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I know. I tried not to but I was sent home on the Monday - the toilets are on the same floor and you can hear everything from all desks so they heard me throwing up. I came back in on the Thursday, wasn't 100% but I thought I was okay, took a turn for the worst and then threw up again, they heard it all and sent me back.

Today it was mentioned that they weren't happy I came back in but I came back in due to being too scared of taking too much time off.... can't win! :(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure