Let go today during probation

Options

Comments

• Siobhan7
    Siobhan7 Posts: 73 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I didn’t know they were like this though. The rest of the staff have been there for years. The one that’s been there the least amount of time is 7 years. There’s only 8 employees so there wasn’t much to research.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Siobhan7 wrote: »
    I didn’t know they were like this though. The rest of the staff have been there for years. The one that’s been there the least amount of time is 7 years. There’s only 8 employees so there wasn’t much to research.

Wasn't having a go, was more of a general statement
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options

So, if they let one of the other employees go they would have to pay both notice period and redundancy pay - substantially more than they will be obliged to pay you. It's not a reflection on you or your abilities - it's a financial decision.
  • Siobhan7
    Options
    It’s just crap. If that’s the case then I wish they were honest. I’ve been questioning myself all morning. I feel totally useless now.

Racking my brains for any thing I’ve done so catastrophically wrong to deserve being let go but nothing.
  • ThemeOne
    ThemeOne Posts: 1,471 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I've never had a good impression of small family businesses, particularly if you're not part of the family. I would always keep an open mind, but as soon as I hear the phrase "family business" now, it's a bit of a red flag.

OP, this sort of experience can really make you doubt yourself, but I would just hang on to the "not enough business" reason - and use it at future interviews when asked why you left.
  • Siobhan7
    Options
    Comms69 I didn't think you were. Your help has been really valuable. Thank you :)
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It’s just odd that there was a massive backlog of work when I started here and now there isn’t - the other person in the same role as me recently had two weeks annual leave... just seems as if they only wanted me to rid the backlog and cover annual leave.
    I’ve been questioning myself all morning. I feel totally useless now.

Don't feel useless - if you weren't good at your job there would still be a backlog.

As ThemeOne says - use the reduced business as a reason in future interviews and explain your part in reducing the backlog.

If the company are willing to help you find a new job, accept their help - they are obviously going to give you a good recommendation.
  • Siobhan7
    Options
    They didn't say there was a lack of work, they just gave me no straight reason to let me go, just said "numerous factors" which they couldn't expand on when I asked... but I have come to the conclusion there is a lack of work due to what I overheard the other week and also how when my tasks are done, there isn't anything else to do. My main role was gathering timesheets but they took up my Mondays and Fridays and that was it.

Really, the work so the backlog is gone can be done by one person. I just don't like people being dishonest. :(
  • KiKi
    KiKi Posts: 5,377 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I understand the frustration about being 'dishonest' but at the same time they may not want to be open if there are problems in the business (and they're under no obligation to, either). Especially if many are family members. They won't want to say out loud "we've not got enough customers and we're losing money" if there's any chance more people than you will hear that, especially if they want to place you with a client organisation. They don't want you there, knowing that you know they could be in trouble.

As you say, move on, it's probably nothing you've done, but don't take any 'dishonesty' personally - they're not necessarily lying to you, but they don't want to share the ins and outs for whatever reason. Hope you find something soon. :)
    ' <-- See that? It's called an apostrophe. It does not mean "hey, look out, here comes an S".
  • Siobhan7
    Options
    Thank you. I have already updated my CV and getting started on the applications. It's a crap situation but I have to make the best of it.

Thanks everyone for all their advice. I won't be unemployed for long!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure