Can sofa.com refuse a refund?

Options
Hello,

I recently bought a new sofa from Sofa.com. I live in a flat with restricted access and decided to buy, because of this, a modular sofa. Now... The components of the modular sofa were still quite large... however, using the "Will It Fit" Calculator provided on the Sofa.com website, it was determined that it would probably fit.

It did not.

Sofa.com have taken the sofa back... and are charging a £45 restocking fee, which is fine. However, when exploring what options I have open to me the Customer Service assistant declared that I could not have a refund. The reason given, as to why, is because "you bought a modular sofa".

The sofa was bought over the telephone using a credit card and I would have thought that, according to distance selling, I could have a refund because Sofa.com would be required to "give customers a full refund up to 14 days after receiving their goods, if they change their mind."

But maybe I am wrong. Could someone help please?

Many thanks.

Comments

• dj1471
    dj1471 Posts: 1,968 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    You are correct - assuming you cancelled within 14 days they must provide a full refund. They cannot charge a restocking fee though you are probably liable for the return delivery (check the T&Cs).
  • Loosetooth
    Loosetooth Posts: 46 Forumite
    Options
    Would the 14 days be from ordering/payment, or from delivery?

Thanks for your response.
  • dj1471
    Options
    You have 14 days from delivery to cancel and a further 14 days to return the item.
  • Loosetooth
    Options
    Cool.... looks like I will have to fight my corner.

Thanks.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,555 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Guessing they are going to say the sofa is modular and to your spec so a custom item and there is a chance no other customer will want the same layout.

How does that theory fit with what you purchased?
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• dj1471
    Options
    The customer choosing from available modules wouldn't make the item custom, only if something is manufactured or modified to fit the customer's specification would it be a custom item wrt the CCRs.
  • Loosetooth
    Options
    Guessing they are going to say the sofa is modular and to your spec so a custom item and there is a chance no other customer will want the same layout.

How does that theory fit with what you purchased?

Maybe, but it is a standard modular, two parts making a whole.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure