Electric shower runs hot and cold

Options
When we moved into this house three years ago, it came with a gainsborough 10.5 SE electric shower.

Last night, Swmbo went to use it and told me the water wouldn't come out properly. I've had a look and the shower runs for a few seconds, becomes scaldingly hot, safety clicks in, becomes cold, then water flow increases, becomes hot etc. Each stage lasts about 2-3 seconds.

The shower had a new hose last year as the old one had started leaking, and I've run the shower without the shower head attached to find it's still the same.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,302 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • d0nkeyk0ng
    d0nkeyk0ng Posts: 873 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Browntoa wrote: »
    Nope. Cheap and cheerful off Homebase. TBH the shower head does not look like the original part and hasn't been so for over three years (it's shiny chrome instead of white plastic, something I recall when viewing the house).

I've removed the shower hose from the outlet. Same problem: It goes very hot, splutters, stops, goes cold and starts all over again.
  • southcoastrgi
    southcoastrgi Posts: 6,298 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    It's prob cheaper to replace the whole shower, Gainsborough aren't the best make & it's at least 3 years old & if you live in a hard water area it will be scaled
    I'm only here while I wait for Corrie to start.

You get no BS from me & if I think you are wrong I WILL tell you.
  • hayday75
    hayday75 Posts: 1,133 Forumite
    Options
    I had the same problem with a Mira shower turned out the head needed descaling .
    Just unscrew head from hose & (if plastic) squirt some harpic limescale remover in , leave for 5 mins then wash out thoroughly.
  • d0nkeyk0ng
    d0nkeyk0ng Posts: 873 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    hayday75 wrote: »
    I had the same problem with a Mira shower turned out the head needed descaling .
    Just unscrew head from hose & (if plastic) squirt some harpic limescale remover in , leave for 5 mins then wash out thoroughly.
    I removed the head and shower hose. Same problem. I looked at the inlet filter. A few bits of debris but not enough to block, and certainly no improvement after cleaning it. I removed the whole unit to check the water feed - perfectly fine. Ergo must be the unit.

I've since replaced the electric shower with a new one of a different brand and all is fine now.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure