Facebook incident with colleagues?

Options
Jlawson118
Jlawson118 Posts: 1,132 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
edited 3 December 2017 at 10:49AM in Employment, jobseeking & training
I started my job late August and I've never had a minute's bother with it. I enjoy the job, always say yes to overtime, and my 13 weeks probation was up around two weeks ago, and I've never been called into the office within 15 weeks so I assume I've passed it. The job itself is to help support me whilst I'm at university but they do offer a graduate scheme to be trained up for management which I wanted to apply for as I'll be finishing university next year and enjoy working where I do.

I worked a full 8 hour night shift Friday night - Saturday Morning, and I'd been placed with a guy from the agency, he'd had no prior experience to that kind of workplace nor even training in this one, so I had to spend the full 8 hours showing him the ropes and he was finding it a struggle, spent the entire shift asking me when our break was, then when we had it, he was asking if we get any more..

It was long, but I got home thinking that maybe if they've got me training people up like that then I'm moving up in the job and they trust me to show the ropes.

Then later, one of the assistant managers tagged me in something on Facebook, joking about the entire morning and the guy I was working with basically saying the other guy was in control of me (he was quite a big beefy guy) and we went on to say he was quite a scary guy. All was well and good, until another colleague posted that he got no help, 'F' the company and 'F" us all he said. Where the assistant manager jokingly said I nominated myself to take over, and I replied saying I don't mind, I quite enjoy the guy's role when I took over once before. But my other colleague started ranting about how I messed up, how I'm lazy, I don't do anything around the place, and even added that I should tie a rope around my neck, and if we were joined at birth he'd rip his arm and leg off to get away from me. For my assistant manager to turn around and say he's more use for a chocolate fireguard than me, and another assistant manager who basically said I'm a lazy student and a drain on society.

I'm trying to get out in a place and earn myself a living to support my education, so I don't get how I'm a drain on society, nor do I agree with other comments about tying a rope around my neck, because if he said that to somebody else one day who's to say they wouldn't? I just don't get the situation though, if anything I was saying I enjoy my job..

I was just going to leave it and just keep my head down on Monday but the more I think about it, the more it's getting to me. I don't want a reputation around there as a 'grass' but at the same time I don't want them to be in control of me losing my job, as I need the job. My friends last night also saw the comments and told me I should report it higher up as it is bullying and they all ganged up on me out of nowhere.

Any advice?

Comments

• TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,489 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Rule 1. NEVER put anything work related on Facebook.
    Rule 2. NEVER comment on anything work related that others have put on Facebook.
  • Jlawson118
    Options
    TELLIT01 wrote: »
    Rule 2. NEVER comment on anything work related that others have put on Facebook.

Well I think I perhaps just learnt that the hard way
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Options
    Jlawson118 wrote: »
    I started my job late August and I've never had a minute's bother with it. I enjoy the job, always say yes to overtime, and my 13 weeks probation was up around two weeks ago, and I've never been called into the office within 15 weeks so I assume I've passed it. The job itself is to help support me whilst I'm at university but they do offer a graduate scheme to be trained up for management which I wanted to apply for as I'll be finishing university next year and enjoy working where I do.

I worked a full 8 hour night shift Friday night - Saturday Morning, and I'd been placed with a guy from the agency, he'd had no prior experience to that kind of workplace nor even training in this one, so I had to spend the full 8 hours showing him the ropes and he was finding it a struggle, spent the entire shift asking me when our break was, then when we had it, he was asking if we get any more..

It was long, but I got home thinking that maybe if they've got me training people up like that then I'm moving up in the job and they trust me to show the ropes.

Then later, one of the assistant managers tagged me in something on Facebook, joking about the entire morning and the guy I was working with basically saying the other guy was in control of me (he was quite a big beefy guy) and we went on to say he was quite a scary guy. All was well and good, until another colleague posted that he got no help, 'F' the company and 'F" us all he said. Where the assistant manager jokingly said I nominated myself to take over, and I replied saying I don't mind, I quite enjoy the guy's role when I took over once before. But my other colleague started ranting about how I messed up, how I'm lazy, I don't do anything around the place, and even added that I should tie a rope around my neck, and if we were joined at birth he'd rip his arm and leg off to get away from me. For my assistant manager to turn around and say he's more use for a chocolate fireguard than me, and another assistant manager who basically said I'm a lazy student and a drain on society.

I'm trying to get out in a place and earn myself a living to support my education, so I don't get how I'm a drain on society, nor do I agree with other comments about tying a rope around my neck, because if he said that to somebody else one day who's to say they wouldn't? I just don't get the situation though, if anything I was saying I enjoy my job..

I was just going to leave it and just keep my head down on Monday but the more I think about it, the more it's getting to me. I don't want a reputation around there as a 'grass' but at the same time I don't want them to be in control of me losing my job, as I need the job. My friends last night also saw the comments and told me I should report it higher up as it is bullying and they all ganged up on me out of nowhere.

Any advice?
    You shouldn't be talking about work or colleagues on Facebook - regardless of what they do. You have already done enough to get disciplined - possibly dismissed - regardless of what anyone else has said or done. And actually, you participated in the original bullying - what did you think talking about another worker and making detrimental comments about him is??? It seems a bit rich that you now want to complain about about a situation which you set up by having a "laugh" at someone else's expense.

Personally I'd suggest you keep your head down, never post on Facebook about work, and hope to God that what you have already put on there hasn't been copied and is winging its way to HR.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Break all facebook contact with them and every other person in that workplace.

put up every barrier possible to avoid getting roped in to anything now or in the future, the fall out can get very nasty facebook stuff has a habit of leaking all over place.
  • Jlawson118
    Options
    sangie595 wrote: »
    You shouldn't be talking about work or colleagues on Facebook - regardless of what they do. You have already done enough to get disciplined - possibly dismissed - regardless of what anyone else has said or done. And actually, you participated in the original bullying - what did you think talking about another worker and making detrimental comments about him is??? It seems a bit rich that you now want to complain about about a situation which you set up by having a "laugh" at someone else's expense.

Personally I'd suggest you keep your head down, never post on Facebook about work, and hope to God that what you have already put on there hasn't been copied and is winging its way to HR.

In all honesty, I'm not proud of my initial comments, although in my defence I never said anything bad about the guy I was working with, apart from he was struggling a bit and about the breaks. But you are right, this shouldn't have been discussed over Facebook and I'm ashamed of myself for it. When my friends told me to report it last night, I told them I can't really say anything when I was discussing the other guy.

It's more the whole suicide comments that were hurtful, basically about tying a rope around my neck, that took things a bit too far
  • xapprenticex
    Options
    I take it these assistant managers are quite young? They dont sound very mature, quite strange how they turned on you so quickly.

Your first mistake was accepting their friend request, you should have told them that you dont mix facebook and work.

The second mistake was getting tagged into something, Ive seen people get sacked from getting tagged into things, i dont know if this is your fault or theirs, i dnt know how it all works.

Third mistake was taking the bait and commenting, if you are going to be prejudice against people who are physically bigger than you then fine but keep it to yourself please.

Mistake 2 or 3 wouldn't have happened if you followed step one, as you said, you have learned the hard way and grassing them up would turn into grassing yourself up. I advise you delete your comments, hope they have not print-screened it and keep your head down.

If they are just assistant managers i dont see how they can decide if you stay and leave.

And dont think overtime means anything, its like a person who has no sick days for years then falls ill and is dismayed that they have a disciplinary because they thought they had special favor or something based on the previous years.

Oh yeah, REMOVE THEM ASAP and dont add any other colleagues.
  • RichardD1970
    Options
    TELLIT01 wrote: »

I would go even further and not have anyone from work as a friend/contact on Facebook.
  • Jlawson118
    edited 3 December 2017 at 11:26AM
    Options
    I take it these assistant managers are quite young? They dont sound very mature, quite strange how they turned on you so quickly.

Your first mistake was accepting their friend request, you should have told them that you dont mix facebook and work.

The second mistake was getting tagged into something, Ive seen people get sacked from getting tagged into things, i dont know if this is your fault or theirs, i dnt know how it all works.

Third mistake was taking the bait and commenting, if you are going to be prejudice against people who are physically bigger than you then fine but keep it to yourself please.

Mistake 2 or 3 wouldn't have happened if you followed step one, as you said, you have learned the hard way and grassing them up would turn into grassing yourself up. I advise you delete your comments, hope they have not print-screened it and keep your head down.

If they are just assistant managers i dont see how they can decide if you stay and leave.

And dont think overtime means anything, its like a person who has no sick days for years then falls ill and is dismayed that they have a disciplinary because they thought they had special favor or something based on the previous years.

Oh yeah, REMOVE THEM ASAP and dont add any other colleagues.

One of the assistant managers blocked me, meaning I can't delete my initial comments which lands me in deeper water, but keeping my head down right now really seems like the best idea right now.

The assistant manager who started this is rather young but the rest are quite old. I just wanted to try and fit in with them and have banter but this has actually been a big life lesson to me now, just seriously keep my head down
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    One other thing to add, employers recruiting are scanning social media a lot more than they used to so be careful out there even with just friends and family.
  • Jlawson118
    Options
    One other thing to add, employers recruiting are scanning social media a lot more than they used to so be careful out there even with just friends and family.

Happened to a colleague of one of my friends. He works in childcare and apparently this girl posted a lot of Nazi like posts on Facebook towards either the labour or conservative party or something and ended up losing her job. I should have learnt when my friend told me this but all I do is some warehouse work so I kind of thought to myself this doesn't involve me. But I was clearly mistaken
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure