Second car insurance.

Options
I own two cars.

My second car, which is only worth £300; it is currently insured 3rd party. My first car, I am fully comprehensive. Now I have heard somewhere that if you are insured on one car fully comp you can drive another car 3rd party.

So say I borrowed your car and you are not insured, I crashed your car into a £10,000 new car. My insurance would then be liable to pay for the damage to that £10,000 car, not you the owner. What I am basically trying to ask is ‘Why do I need two different insurance policies’? I am not bothered whether my second car gets nicked because it would not be worth claiming for, it’s parked off road so is not problem to the general public. So if I am fully comp on my first car therefore I am 3rd party on my second car? I could be saving myself £350 a year here, so your help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

With regards to getting a tax disc I would just insure myself for a week to get that.

Regards
Danny.

Comments

• jeeves_2
    jeeves_2 Posts: 273 Forumite
    Options
    Danny...
    As far as i know...
    if i am insured fully comp on my car, i am insured to drive any car 3rd party as long as the car it self is insured. Even then the other car i am driving will only be insured to the value of my first car.
    SO if i was to borrow your car which was worth 10k, and i am insured fully on my car which is worth 5k and was to write yours off, my insurance company would only pay up to a maximum of 5k towards your car. This is assuming yours is isnured in the first place even if its just 3rd party.
    so sorry mate you do have to insure your second car....
    i understand where ur coming from, as we have a second run around that i use sometimes. the frustrating thing is u cant even use your no claims bonus on the second car, you have to start from scratch:(

hope this helps

Jeeves
  • maclean2
    maclean2 Posts: 709 Forumite
    Options
    Hi - this subject comes up fairly regularly and this is the actual position :-

1- The extension to drive another car only applies to cars not belonging to you.
    2- The cover given is for third party only cover and was originally intended to cover emergency situations only
    3- The extension applies to the policyholder only
    4- To be adequately and correctly insured each car needs its own policy
    5- NCD is earned separately on each car but the nice people at peart associates will insure a second car and match the ncd on your main car.Ring them on 0870.240.2972 office hours only.Do not be put off by all the Porsches and exotics on their website.They will insure any type of car.
  • jeeves_2
    jeeves_2 Posts: 273 Forumite
    Options
    maclean2 wrote:

1- The extension to drive another car only applies to cars not belonging to you.
    2- The cover given is for third party only cover and was originally intended to cover emergency situations only
    5- NCD is earned separately on each car but the nice people at peart associates will insure a second car and match the ncd on your main car.Ring them on 0870.240.2972 office hours only.Do not be put off by all the Porsches and exotics on their website.They will insure any type of car.

Thnx for the contact..i will try them and see what they can come up with

jeeves
  • joe_cool_joe
    Options
    Elephant will match it too!
  • Danjo_2
    Danjo_2 Posts: 34 Forumite
    Options
    maclean2 wrote:

So even if I was to get the car ownership transferred to my wife, she would have to be insured on the car in order for me to be covered on it from my fully comp policy? I thought insurance cover was for me and not the car?
  • nadnad
    nadnad Posts: 1,593 Forumite
    Options
    Each CAR has to be insured by law as well as the driver. If you are in an accident in that car the police will require your insurance documents otherwise you could be fined, penalty points etc and your insurance premiums will shoot up - not worth the risk.
    DON'T WORRY BE HAPPY ;)

norn iron club member no.1
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family