Recording of credit history via DMP

Options
Hello all, I hope someone can help. After following a DMP from early 2012 onwards, I finally finished paying off my creditors in December 2018 and am now looking at where that leaves me with my credit file. A number of creditors placed defaults on my accounts back in 2012 and a handful in 2013. The last of these defaults is set to disappear from my files on 1st November 2019.
The query I have is about a couple of accounts where a default was not recorded. In one case a record has been made of the fact that I was in a DMP and a monthly tally of late payments has been recorded over a period of years. In another case an Arrangement to Pay has been recorded with the debt having been settled in December.
I guess I have a couple of questions. Firstly, how damaging will these notes on my file be to my chances of obtaining a mortgage in the next few years? Secondly, it seems a shame that I'll have these records attached to my file for almost 6 years from now despite the accounts being treated in the same way as any of my other accounts which went into default and have now disappeared. I have some dim recollection of there being a letter template to address this. Any advice out there at all?
Thanks in advance!

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    They’re not obliged to default the account.

Some on here will tell you it’s the “moral” thing to do, despite the late payment/AP markers actually being correct.
  • Ever_the_Optimist
    Options
    Thanks Gary - am I right in thinking that this will affect me adversely longer than it would had they defaulted me?
  • Willing2Learn
    Willing2Learn Posts: 6,294 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 19 February 2019 at 3:28PM
    Options
    Whilst your creditors are not obliged to default your accounts, there is clear ICO guidance that says that the accounts should be defaulted once the account is 3-6 months in arrears.

Have a look at the thread linked below. Pay particular attention to post #4:
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5598629
    … am I right in thinking that this will affect me adversely longer than it would had they defaulted me?
    That is the purpose of the ICO guidance. To make it fair, so that someone who has honoured their DMP should be no worse off than someone who made no attempt to pay.
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
  • Ever_the_Optimist
    Options
    Oh wow! That thread is excellent; exactly the help i needed. Thank you so much.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure