EDF scraps compulsory smart meters?

Options
metrobus
metrobus Posts: 1,784 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
edited 18 February 2019 at 12:32PM in Energy
Having switched to EDFs Online exclusive Feb 20 fixed rate tariff I was aware that a fitting a smart meter was compulsory.

I recieved the email last week to book a fitting date,I remember that I had to have it fitted by a certain date or they switch me to the standard tariff.

I could not remember this date so decided to phone them to find out,having gone through security I was told they could not discuss this account since it was an " online " account.

So I logged in and started online chat,first effort was a joke all the Indian chat centre guy kept repeating was my contract exit date and did not seem to now anything about smart meters.

I tried again 30 mins later,and got a girl that was equally clueless,but eventually said that the compulsory meters had been scrapped,I found this hard to belief I asked why and she came up with customers were not happy,to which I replied it's in the contract,but she was adamant it was scrapped.I have a screen shot of the conversation.

IT was very obvious she was just making it up since she could not answer my original question of what date I need the smart meter fitted.

Comments

• d0nkeyk0ng
    Options
    I'm with EDF and they have rung me for the past year or so presumably to fit a smart meter. I'm generally at work and can't take personal phone calls so I just ignore them.

I went through the cheap energy club and found an EDF tariff better than the Feb20 one. I looked at its terms and conditions and there was nothing about a compulsory smart meter - just that if there's one fitted, it would be used to provide readings.
  • metrobus
    Options
    donkeykong,I also went through MSE energy club and about 15 days after I signed up they came up with Feb 20 v2 which works out about £40 cheaper and yes it does not state a compulsory smart meter date unlike the original Feb20 fix I signed up for.
    I can not imagine they have changed the terms of the original contract just because the customers did not like it, which the person on online chat told me.
    Since it’s an online acc they refuse to talk to me,only on an Indian online chat room who’s staff have not got a clue, Or if I phone their dedicated smart meter team who say nothing has changed totally contradicting the online chat.
  • nigelbb
    nigelbb Posts: 3,790 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I just switched to EDF last week on a two year fix & there was no question of having a smart meter fitted.
  • metrobus
    Options
    nigelbb wrote: »
    I just switched to EDF last week on a two year fix & there was no question of having a smart meter fitted.

Then you are not on an “easy online “ tariff,which for medium use is far cheaper than all the alternatives with them.

Which tariff are you on?
  • poppasmurf_bewdley
    Options
    According to an article I read on a newspaper website last week, there is a drastic shortage of SMETS2 meters countrywide and all power companies have either halted or scaled back the fitting of them.
    "There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O S Nock
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    :lol: I'm not sure I can believe that ?

EIther

1) Customers are rushing to request them (unlikely)
    2) Companys are wanting to push them out now the good v2 is here at last.

I guess 2 is possible.

or 3, they found another issue
  • nigelbb
    Options
    metrobus wrote: »
    Then you are not on an “easy online “ tariff,which for medium use is far cheaper than all the alternatives with them.

Which tariff are you on?

Simply Fixed Feb21

Electricity unit rate: 15.49p per kWh
    Daily standing charge: 20.48p per day

Gas unit rate: 3.237p per kWh
  • poppasmurf_bewdley
    Options
    AndyPK wrote: »
    :lol: I'm not sure I can believe that ?

EIther

1) Customers are rushing to request them (unlikely)
    2) Companys are wanting to push them out now the good v2 is here at last.

I guess 2 is possible.

or 3, they found another issue

Believe it or not:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/02/15/smart-meter-roll-set-severe-delays-energy-firms-told-slow-installations/
    "There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O S Nock
  • metrobus
    Options
    nigelbb wrote: »
    Simply Fixed Feb21

Electricity unit rate: 15.49p per kWh

Gas unit rate: 3.237p per kWh

nigelbb,I wish I had seen that,it comes out only £4 a year cheaper but your tariff does not require smart meters being fitted unlike all their easy online tariffs.

Interesting now 3 weeks later their easy online March 20 is coming up £45 cheaper,but with the compulsory meter,the government must be pushing the roll out harder.
  • nigelbb
    Options
    metrobus wrote: »
    nigelbb,I wish I had seen that,it comes out only £4 a year cheaper but your tariff does not require smart meters being fitted unlike all their easy online tariffs.

Interesting now 3 weeks later their easy online March 20 is coming up £45 cheaper,but with the compulsory meter,the government must be pushing the roll out harder.
    AFAIK the Simply Fixed Feb21 tariff was only available through comparethemarket.com. It wasn't available on the EDF website. I went for it as a good price 2 year fix with a Big Six supplier.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure