PPI Nationwide

Options
I had Mortgage protection with Nationwide so I applied to reclaim. As it's a while ago I was vague as to why I thought I'd been mis-sold.
Now I have a final "no" decision.
I since have found the Mortgage & Insurance Payments Arrangements showing the Payment Protection was free for one year.
The mortgage was paid off one year after it was taken out but the insurance was cancelled by myself in 2011. Probably after I heard it was no longer necessary and had been mis-sold.
I'd like to know what to do now.
I'm confused as I've read the MSE guide but still unsure if I should go back to Nationwide, The Ombudsman or Plevin?
Thank you

Comments

• Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,884 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You're mixing up a few things here - if they issue a final rejection you can refer to the ombudsman but it depends why they rejected it, if they time barred it (as you cancelled it in 2011, they can do so as it meets the 3 and 6 year rules) then your complaint is over. Going back to them is pointless especially if, as you say, your complaint reasons were vague and unsupported.

Plevin is completely separate and only applies if your complaint has finished the process and you could then ask them to see if it comes under there but is not a guarantee of anything and the refund is likely to be smaller
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Nasqueron wrote: »
    Plevin is completely separate and only applies if your complaint has finished the process and you could then ask them to see if it comes under there but is not a guarantee of anything and the refund is likely to be smaller
    Since a Plevin refund is only of the commission paid, it would definitely be smaller.

Doesn't sound as if Plevin applies here anyway, since it was the Op's own responsibility to cancel the insurance once the mortgage was paid off.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,463 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Whilst it would normally be up to the account holder to cancel the direct debit, it is not always the case.

There have been upheld cases where the policy in question only covered the mortgage of that lender and the FOS decided the lender didnt make it clear that the insurance should be cancelled.

However, if the insurance would have continued to be acceptable irrespective of lender, then the lender is not allowed to cancel the insurance. That is down to the borrower.

I dont know what the position with Nationwide's insurance was but if it only covered their mortgages, then i would expect a refund from the point the mortgage closed.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • durali
    durali Posts: 71 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    thank you for your replies.
    I am formulating letters to Midland Bank for a personal loan ppi and Norwich union/Aviva for Mortgage Protection.
    Do I mention commission in my first letter?
    Thank you
  • dunstonh
    Options
    I am formulating letters to Midland Bank for a personal loan ppi

That would be HSBC.
    nd Norwich union/Aviva for Mortgage Protection.

Why Aviva? Did an Aviva staff member sell you the mortgage protection? If not you wouldnt send it to them.

What is this Mortgage protection policy? Aviva was a very very small player in the mortgage PPI side of things. However, they are a very large player in the mortgage life assurance side. Is your policy PPI or life assurance?
    Do I mention commission in my first letter?
    no
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • durali
    Options
    Thank you dunstonh
    The reason I say Aviva as that is on the letter head showing the policy dates ie Norwich Union/Aviva.
    I think one took the other over.
  • dunstonh
    Options
    The reason I say Aviva as that is on the letter head showing the policy dates ie Norwich Union/Aviva.

it isnt the provider that you complain to though. It is the seller. Most Aviva policies are put in place via third parties. Not Aviva themselves.

Also, as I said, are you sure this is PPI? Does it give any indication of what it pays out on and how much?
  • durali
    Options
    Hi again,
    the letter I have states it was a Mortgage Security policy from 22 December 1981 and lapsed on 22 September 2005.
    The mortgage was with Northern Rock.
  • dunstonh
    Options
    the letter I have states it was a Mortgage Security policy from 22 December 1981 and lapsed on 22 September 2005

That would suggest it was life assurance. Not PPI.

In the 80s until around 1993 (ish), you had to take out life assurance with a number of lenders to act as security on the mortgage. I remember those days well as we had to write a big red S on them to indicate they were security.
  • durali
    Options
    So can I claim against that?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts