Used credit card query

Options
Susan1962
Susan1962 Posts: 297 Forumite
edited 20 August 2019 at 10:48AM in Credit cards
Hi. Sorry tried to change title but it won't let me. Should red UNUSED credit card query!!!

I have two credit cards. One has just under £200 on it and will be paid off soon. It's a Bank of Scotland card I use mainly as a backup to PayPal. The other card is an old balance transfer card paid off in full and unused for about a year.

Checking my MEE credit club info the first card balance is equal to 14% of that cards available credit, 6% of total available.

So - is it better to get rid of the unused card or to keep it to artificially reduce the proportions n of available credit used?

Hope this makes sense!

Thanks
Looking ahead

Comments

• BoGoF
    BoGoF Posts: 7,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    What is the other card?

Some cards are good with offers for existing customers. To keep your credit history ticking along it is advisable to use your credit card but pay in full every month.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,864 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If they are the only 2 then keep both - always good to have at least one backup.
  • PRAISETHESUN
    PRAISETHESUN Posts: 3,723 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'd personally hang onto it unless you feel like having the card would tempt you to spend unnecessarily. Having multiple, long-standing accounts is typically seen as a positive for lenders so keeping it open should help improve your credit history.
  • SnowTiger
    SnowTiger Posts: 4,459 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Susan1962 wrote: »
    Checking my MEE credit club info the first card balance is equal to 14% of that cards available credit, 6% of total available.

So - is it better to get rid of the unused card or to keep it to artificially reduce the proportions n of available credit used?

There's no right or wrong answer.

Do whatever works for you.

Credit limit on first card is about £1,500 and credit limit on second card is about £2,000. Fairly low limits, so there probably isn't an advantage to closing one of them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure