refused to sell me an item for ticket price

Options
Hi , can anyone help me on a situation which happened today .

I spotted a guitar in a well known pawnbrokers for £150 ( both barcoded and had a handwritten label ) .
It was taken to the front counter and I asked if it was part of the sale they were having at the time on musical instrument.

The owner /manager came out and said he would check on the system if he could do anything on the price .

He checked on his computer and said if I wanted to buy now the price was going up to £500 ( from £150 ) as the last one sold on ebay in the USA for $500.

I thought he was joking ( as did the staff ) but he said it was upto him who he sold it to and for what price .

He then just looked down at his computer dimissing my questions until I left the shop .

I phoned up trading standards and was told that what he did was legal but morally suspect and if I wanted I could take it further and open a case with them .

Would it be worthwhile doing , I am not after anything other than someone taking the manager to task as he should not be able to treat people this way .

Their headoffice said it was a franchised owned store and could not do anything .

Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options
    No.

The price was an offer for you to accept. The shop then chose to decline your offer. All 100% legal as told to you by TS.

Now they could take action if the shop did this repeatedly on all their items over and over to entice people into their store on false promises. But for a one off, literally nothing will come of it.

The manager absolutely can treat someone this way. It’s a business. If you told someone you’d sell them something for £5, and then saw it sell on eBay for £100 it may not be NICE to back out on your £5 deal, but there’s absolutely nothing wrong with it.
  • stuartJo1989
    Options
    homi wrote: »
    I spotted a guitar in a well known pawnbrokers for £150 ( both barcoded and had a handwritten label ) .
    It was taken to the front counter and I asked if it was part of the sale they were having at the time on musical instrument.

The owner /manager came out and said he would check on the system if he could do anything on the price .

:rotfl: Well, you asked for him to "do anything on the price" and he did.

Its really harsh, but unfortunately you did set yourself up for it :(

Pawnbrokers buy any old tat and they aren't experts on every single item which they buy! That should be fairly obvious, and by extension they will often rely on third parties to get a feel for what they can price their items at. So I'm not at all surprised that they simply looked on ebay.

On the bright side, I think you will be able to be a bit more street-wise when you next go to a pawnbrokers.... Before asking for a discount simply check on ebay/amazon yourself and get a feel for the true price. If they are selling for £130 then you are safe in the knowledge that the price will either go down or stay the same. Conversely, if it has sold for $500 or £500 recently then just buy it and keep your mouth shut :)
  • ssparks2003
    Options
    Morales don't come into it. What he did was 100% legal; TS should go and whistle if they think they can do anything on this matter.
  • bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Trading standards wouldn't even deal with your complaint, they don't deal with individuals, are you sure it was TS you spoke to?

TS would know very well about offer and acceptance so who ever you spoke to was wrong.
  • z1a
    z1a Posts: 2,522 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Morales don't come into it. What he did was 100% legal; TS should go and whistle if they think they can do anything on this matter.

I Think OPs morale is a bit low.
  • beeg0d
    beeg0d Posts: 179 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

I woulnt sat 100% legal, maby only 90% legal. As a 1 of its perfectly acceptable but if its standard pratice for the business to increase the price at the till then it becomes "bait and switch" which is not legal.
  • Nodding_Donkey
    Options
    Just think OP, if you'd just gone to the desk and paid you'd have had a right bargain :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure