IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

How to be sure a ticket has been cancelled

Options
Hi, would appreciate some advice. After reading here I contacted the local Starbucks manager where I received a parking charge notice from Athena for being 19 minutes over the 90 minute stay allowed. He has liaised with me very helpfully on WhatsApp saying he has dealt with it and to ignore subsequent letters. I have since received an overdue reminder and now a final demand with the usual scare tactics about debt collection, CCJs and affecting my credit rating. I messaged him again and he says ignore, he gets them cancelled every day.

My question is, how can I be sure? And if it is cancelled why am I receiving subsequent letters to this effect? I have not done any of the appeal letters or contacted Athena myself as I followed the initial advice about using the store and I thought it was dealt with. But I am nervous now. I’ve seen in other threads folk have received emails confirming it’s cancelled but I’ve no notification of anything other than the managers WhatsApp messages. Please advise. TIA

Comments

• Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,346 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Go to the Athena website as if to pay the ticket (obviously don't press the 'Pay Now' button) and check on the ticket's status.

Athena are the least PPC to concern yourself with. They are spineless. They never pursue beyond silly letters.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • Blue202
    Options
    Thank you! I checked as advised and it’s still active! I’m thinking to message the manager of Starbucks again requesting that he follow it up with them and ensure they cancel it and change the status to show that. Is that the best next step? Should I provide an email address and ask him to have them confirm in email or does that just give another way to harass me? How best to get the confirmation?
  • twhitehousescat
    Options
    yes provide manager with reg no and ticket number and date , get him to get it cancelled and EMAIL YOU
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,662 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes, show him a screenshot that they have NOT cancelled it.

Is there a Lidl on site as well, as they use Athena and I can't recall them in any other car parks? If so, complain as well, to the CEO of Lidl like in ALL the zillions of other Athena threads where everyone gets them cancelled within a week.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    Options
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Nine times out of ten these tickets are scams, so consider complaining to your MP, it can cause the scammer extra costs and work, and has been known to get the charge cancelled.

Parliament is well aware of the MO of these private parking companies, many of whom are former clampers, and on 15th March 2019 a Bill was enacted to curb the excesses of these shysters. Codes of Practice are being drawn up, an independent appeals service will be set up, and access to the DVLA's date base more rigorously policed, persistent offenders denied access to the DVLA database and unable to operate.

Hopefully life will become impossible for the worst of these scammers, but until this is done you should still complain to your MP, citing the new legislation.

[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2019/8/contents/enacted[/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]

Just as the clampers were finally closed down, so hopefully will many of these Private Parking Companies.[/FONT][/FONT]
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • Blue202
    Options
    Good point - there is a Lidl. I’ve tried looking through the stickies but am unsure which gives me the current email for the Lidl CEO and if there’s a standard letter to use? If you have chance to point me to the right post I’d really appreciate it. Would it matter if the driver hadn’t necessarily shopped at the store that day?

The Starbucks manager has replied to me but seems to think he has cancelled it despite it showing otherwise but he said he will follow it up just to allay my fears. Surely if it has been cancelled the letters stop and it’s clear on the system? TIA
  • Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 22,309 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Try a search {Search this Forum (from page one of the forum) Advanced Search, Lidl CEO as keyword(s), change radio button from Threads to Posts.}
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,346 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Also search on Christian Haertnagel.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport