Faulty appliance

Options
I need some advice please please.On the 3rd Jan 20 I went to my local currys store to buy a new washing machine as mine died on boxing day. Looking around i saw a kenwood machine perfect size. Assistant came over an i asked bought buying the washer an if they had any in stock i was told that this was last one an i could have it delivered the next day, if i ordered 1 from the warehouse stock i would be waiting 5 days. The assistant insisted that it made no difference it was still new an she could do 20% off as it was display stock. I reluctantly agreed an paid.
When the machine arrived we plumbed it in an put a was in. IT LEAKS. Called repairs an they send engineer who says its dead i need replacement. Curry now say yes i can have a replacement BUT I HAVE TO PAY £49 which is the 20% discount difference. I say no i don't because they can't fix it an we were happy for a fix. Who is right? Do i have to pay the difference an lose my bargain

Comments

• neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Yes, pay the difference or get a refund, your choice.

Going down the "loss of bargain" route over £50 isn't going to be worth it and no guarantee of success.
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Options
    As above, pay the difference or get a full refund and buy elsewhere.

How can you claim it was a bargain when in your own words, you only "reluctantly agreed" to buy it, when you could have had an entirely new one just four days later?
  • Nana1970
    Options
    Aylesbury Duck...
    I am a foster parent and i currently have 3 disabled under 4yrs staying with. As i stated my machine broke down on 26/12/19 i was unable financially until the 03/01/20 to buy a new machine. I was promised next day delivery with this machine not another 5days of dirty laundry and bedding. As it was the machine didn't arrive until the 09/01/20 this was most definitely not next day. As for bargain comment it was meant as a little light humor.
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Options
    Good for you, but the advice is still the same.
  • Nana1970
    Options
    I think your attitude is very disrespectful, and not what i have experienced when asking for advice on other forums.
    Why comment unless you can be respectful and polite. Wont bother using this site again, if everyone is like you.
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Options
    Nana1970 wrote: »
    I think your attitude is very disrespectful, and not what i have experienced when asking for advice on other forums.
    Why comment unless you can be respectful and polite. Wont bother using this site again, if everyone is like you.
    I'm afraid there isn't an enhanced set of consumer protection laws for people who do good things in life. You work to the same rules as everyone else. The advice I gave is appropriate regardless of your personal circumstances. If you expect answers you want to hear rather than accurate advice simply because you do something admirable in life, try Facebook. You'll get lots of "you ok, hun?" nonsense but that won't help you with your consumer rights problem.
  • Bermonia
    Bermonia Posts: 977 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Nana1970 wrote: »

Perhaps posting somewhere such as fb may be more useful to yourself... sure plenty of friends will tell you that you are right. Or you could come to w forum such as this and be told the facts.

Your choice of course :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport