Universal credits and a son at uni

Options
Hello, Im on universal credit, I have a 12 year old and a 19 year old who started uni sept 2019 and boards at uni through term time then comes home over the holidays. Do i have to inform universal credit? Is he classed as not living with me? I have looked all over the internet but still baffled. Thanks Cheryl

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    The DWP guidance on university students leaves it to the discretion of the DWP to decide whether the university student is treated as normally living with you or normally living at university.
    I would say you should inform them.
    Obviously you should no longer be getting a child element included in your UC for him (if you still were).
    If the DWP treat him as normally living at university it will affect the number of bedrooms you are allowed when calculating your housing element.

See paragraph F3034 https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/798301/admf3.pdf
    Example
    In a case where a student lives at a university address during term time and lives at their parents’ home for some weekends and during the holidays, the DM should decide which address is where they normally reside. Whichever address is chosen will remain the student’s normal residence even when they spend time at the other home.

A student still retains a bedroom, furniture and some clothing at their parents’ home, they still get some mail there, are registered with the local dentist and are actually resident for 18 full weeks and most weekends. On this evidence the DM decides that the student normally resides at their parents’ home and are only temporarily absent from it whilst at university.

Alternatively the DM may decide that because the student has a tenancy agreement for a university address, they have some furniture and clothes there, they live there for 32 weeks of the year and are liable for gas, electricity and a tv licence that they normally reside at the university address and are only temporarily absent from it whilst back living with their parents

it's very unsatisfactory that there isn't a definite answer.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • cherylwoods
    Options
    Thank you, i find that very helpful.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills