Anybody using NHS hearing aid?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Scatteynan
    Options
    the local hospital i am under as a clinic that you can go to on a monday without appoitment they are really good. I would be lost without mine had them for approx 10 years, i always said i did not need them.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,486 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    My wife had an opticians appointment recenty and they persuaded her to have a hearing test whilst she was there too.  She does suffer from some hearing loss, as most of us in our 60's probably do.  No surprise when they said she would benefit from hearing aids, but I nearly fell of the chair when she showed me their prices.  Thick end of £3k for a pair - no way can we afford that, particularly as she was told they would need replacing every couple of years.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,028 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Did they get her to try out a pair? If she felt they gave her some benefit, she could go to the GP and ask for an NHS referral. 
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • NE5
    NE5 Posts: 74 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    LadyDee said:
    It took two visits to have my aids adjusted correctly (done on the computer). The audiologist also downloaded an app onto my phone which allows me to adjust the treble/bass and volume, although there are buttons on the aids to alter the volume. The audiologist told me that almost everybody needs a couple of follow up visits to get them right, and they like to see people at least every six months to check that the patient is getting the best from the aids.
    Most important is to ensure there is no wax in his ears as this can partially block the tiny little hole in the earpiece and causes feedback.
    can you tell me what this app is please ?

I have NHS ones, and particular when listening to my hifi, I am not  happy at all, they whistle and the tone is just not good enough. I'm thinking of going private and buying some better quality ones, I've been told that you can get tone adjustment etc using apps if you do.
  • NE5
    NE5 Posts: 74 Forumite
    Options
    DH gave up on NHS hearing aids after several clinic visits and no improvement. He went to Amplifon https://www.amplifon.com

He's now much happier with the aids he has.
    are these good for listening to audio music on a hifi ? 
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,283 Forumite
    Options
    NE5 said:
    LadyDee said:
    It took two visits to have my aids adjusted correctly (done on the computer). The audiologist also downloaded an app onto my phone which allows me to adjust the treble/bass and volume, although there are buttons on the aids to alter the volume. The audiologist told me that almost everybody needs a couple of follow up visits to get them right, and they like to see people at least every six months to check that the patient is getting the best from the aids.
    Most important is to ensure there is no wax in his ears as this can partially block the tiny little hole in the earpiece and causes feedback.
    can you tell me what this app is please ?

I have NHS ones, and particular when listening to my hifi, I am not  happy at all, they whistle and the tone is just not good enough. I'm thinking of going private and buying some better quality ones, I've been told that you can get tone adjustment etc using apps if you do.
    That sounds like the Signia app. I have that on my phone for my NHS Signia aids. I find it handy because, due to Covid, the hospital haven't been doing face to face for adjustments since I got them.
    I find I need to turn the treble down otherwise I get a lot of sibilance 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure