Legacy_user Posts: 0 Newbie
edited 14 January 2020 at 6:44PM in Consumer rights
N/a anymore. thanks guys.

Comments

• born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,461 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Paid in full or deposit, balance on delivery or on finance?
    Life in the slow lane
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    There is no 14 day "cooling off period" or automatic right to cancel for purchases made in store so they did nothing wrong in not spelling it out to you. You should always assume that all sales are final and ask about any refund/ cancellation policy a store chooses to offer.
  • shaun_from_Africa
    Options
    born_again wrote: »
    Paid in full or deposit, balance on delivery or on finance?

How or how much they paid doesn't have any bearing on the lack of a right of cancellation.
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    there are no cancellation rights for goods purchased in store. Some stores offer goodwill change of mind refunds but there is no legislation for them to do so. The default position for items purchased in store would be non-refundable unless faulty or advised otherwise.
    If you needed to know whether cancellation would be possible you should have asked the question.
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Options
    beckyH wrote: »
    (Thought I'd have a 14 day period to cancel)
    Why did you think that?

As above, you don't have any general right to change your mind about things you buy in store. Retailers do not need to explain that to you every time you buy something.
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,461 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    How or how much they paid doesn't have any bearing on the lack of a right of cancellation.

Did I say it did? :rotfl:

If they paid on finance then you do have a 14 day cooling off period on the finance. Even if in store.

How that would effect the sale is another matter.
    Life in the slow lane
  • shaun_from_Africa
    Options
    Did I say it did? :rotfl:
    So why ask?
    How that would effect the sale is another matter.
    Cancelling the finance agreement (if there is one) has no effect on the contract of sale. All it would mean is that the money would be due now rather than at a later date.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 14 January 2020 at 6:44PM
    Options
    Being resolved.
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Options
    beckyH wrote: »
    My main issue is that we did not get told that we wouldnt be able to cancel it.
    Like I said, there's no requirement for retailers to remind you every time you buy something that you don't have a general right to cancel.
    The process in store is not great - there are no T&C's until after you sign? And you're signing against what the sales person has said rather than reading it on the iPad?
    And do any of the T&C's make a difference to the general principle that you can't cancel?
    Main issue is it should've been read to us that we can't cancel
    Why do you think that?
    Surely if we physically cannot take the sofa then we can cancel?
    No, that doesn't make a difference to it.
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Try negotiating something with them. Currently, if you cancel the credit agreement, they have your deposit and nothing else.

To get more they are going to have to sue you. That doesn't necessarily mean they will get anything. They might be willing to accept something rather than risk court and getting nothing.

This is not a strategy I would recommend for the faint hearted though as it does carry the risk of you having to defend a court claim.

Be nice and polite initially and try appealing to their good nature in the first instance and see what happens.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure