Housing benefit when child turns 18

Options
Hello,
Just wanted some advice. I have 2 sons and currently I receive £517 per month. In June one of my sons is turning 18 and won't be continuing going into college as he wants to work. So I just want to see if anyone hass been in this situation and what would be better to do? Would I receive higher amount of housing benefits if he would continue living with us and working or would it be better if he would move out with his friend as he don't mind that. Does anyone know roughly how much of housing benefits would I get in both options?

Thank you.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    What benefits do you get as well as HB?
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,964 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    justas31 wrote: »
    Hello,
    Just wanted some advice. I have 2 sons and currently I receive £517 per month. In June one of my sons is turning 18 and won't be continuing going into college as he wants to work. So I just want to see if anyone hass been in this situation and what would be better to do? Would I receive higher amount of housing benefits if he would continue living with us and working or would it be better if he would move out with his friend as he don't mind that. Does anyone know roughly how much of housing benefits would I get in both options?

Thank you.
    Unless you claim PIP or DLA then this link will tell you the non dependent deductions for HB.
    https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/housing_benefit/housing_benefit_deductions_when_living_with_non-dependants
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,761 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Will your son and friend be looking to rent somewhere between them? That raises a load of other issues if he doesn't get work and is looking to claim housing benefit in his own right.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    Options
    If he moves out that might affect how many rooms you're entitled to so you'd lose money.

Would he be earning enough to cover any lost housing benefit?

Putting the numbers for various scenarios into https://www.entitledto.com might give you an idea of what you'd get.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • justas31
    justas31 Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    elsien wrote: »
    Will your son and friend be looking to rent somewhere between them? That raises a load of other issues if he doesn't get work and is looking to claim housing benefit in his own right.
    Well he already has a job offer so money won't be a problem for him and also his friend is already working. So I think and hope that he won't need to claim HB on his own.
    venison wrote: »
    What benefits do you get as well as HB?
    I get ESA (which by the way have been really bad as I have called multiple times and they haven't made decision yet if I need to do medical assessment, it has been 3 months already) I also claim child tax credit and child benefits but with those I know how much they will be decreased.
    Ames wrote: »
    If he moves out that might affect how many rooms you're entitled to so you'd lose money.

Would he be earning enough to cover any lost housing benefit?

Putting the numbers for various scenarios into entitledto.commight give you an idea of what you'd get.
    Well he would be earning somewhere between £360 and £400 per week.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,964 Forumite
    Options
    justas31 wrote: »
    Well he already has a job offer so money won't be a problem for him and also his friend is already working. So I think and hope that he won't need to claim HB on his own.

I get ESA (which by the way have been really bad as I have called multiple times and they haven't made decision yet if I need to do medical assessment, it has been 3 months already) I also claim child tax credit and child benefits but with those I know how much they will be decreased.

Well he would be earning somewhere between £360 and £400 per week.
    Earning that amount per week would see your HB be decreased by £86.95 per week, if he lived with you. If you claim PIP or DLA there is no non dependent deductions.
  • Le_any
    Options
    We just move to a new council home with my  single mom i am 17 and I want to work 18 hours or more a week but people say they will deduct all the money I get within the months I want to know if it is true and what hours is suitable 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    Options
    elsien said:
    He wouldn’t be able to claim Housing Benefit as it’s been replaced by Universal Credit.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    edited 20 March 2020 at 11:17PM
    Options
    Le_any said:
    We just move to a new council home with my  single mom i am 17 and I want to work 18 hours or more a week but people say they will deduct all the money I get within the months I want to know if it is true and what hours is suitable 
    You’re hi-jacking somebody else’s thread. It would be better to start your own thread. However I think you are ignored while you are 17. Your mother will be subject to a deduction once you turn 18. The level of deduction is set out in the link already provided by poppy in the third post in this thread (here it is again https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/benefits/housing_benefit_deductions_when_living_with_non-dependants)
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure