Energy Assist Ofgem save £

Options
[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
edited 8 February 2018 at 11:23PM in Benefits & tax credits
Received a letter from my supplier SSE today apparently changes introduced by Ofgem mean customers who received the warm home discount will see their prices capped from 01/02/18 these prices will be revised every April and October and you should automatically be moved to the new tariff (pre-paid customers won't be included). Our price for electricity will reduce from 15.98p per unit to 13.30p an annual saving of £65. We don't have mains gas so I don't have those figures, but can only assume that dual fuel maybe £130 a year lower (?)
Daily standing charge remains the same and the small discounts given for direct debit and online accounts are no longer included.

It would be nice to hear from others who might benefit from this new deal and how much they are estimated to save, thanks x

Comments

• Muttleythefrog
    Muttleythefrog Posts: 19,768 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 9 February 2018 at 12:54AM
    Options
    Hmm just quickly reading into this... it sounds like protection for those on pre pay meters extended to those getting Warm Home Discount but it seems might only be of value to those on standard variable tariff and thus probably paying more than they should be anyway. Which (the magazine) commentator seems to suggest people shop for best deal instead.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-42972840

For the record your unit rate for leccy sounds high to me... but the rate moved to not bad... that is assuming of course other factors are sensible like daily charge.

I presume the lack of any communication from E.on to me is because despite claiming WHD I would not benefit. I typically am on the cheapest 1 year online deal available and switch to get it typically each year along with cash back.
    "Do not attribute to conspiracy what can adequately be explained by incompetence" - rogerblack
  • w06
    w06 Posts: 917 Forumite
    Options
    Interesting I ve not had anything about this specifically from Eon either.

I have been pretty impressed by them (so far) though. I switched provider to Eon couple of months ago after Scottish Power added £60 a month to my duel fuel direct debit, projected saving was an estimate £500 iirc.

I qualified for Scottish Power's warm home discount (low income & PiP) but don't qualify for Eon s because I'm not on a means tested benefit, even taking into account that loss though still a big saving from the switch and they've been reassuringly proactive about my being a 'vulnerable user' - reliant on medical equipment that is reliant on electricity
  • Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hmm just quickly reading into this... it sounds like protection for those on pre pay meters extended to those getting Warm Home Discount but it seems might only be of value to those on standard variable tariff and thus probably paying more than they should be anyway. Which (the magazine) commentator seems to suggest people shop for best deal instead.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-42972840

For the record your unit rate for leccy sounds high to me... but the rate moved to not bad... that is assuming of course other factors are sensible like daily charge.

I presume the lack of any communication from E.on to me is because despite claiming WHD I would not benefit. I typically am on the cheapest 1 year online deal available and switch to get it typically each year along with cash back.

Hello Muttleythefrog.

We'll be in touch with all those affected shortly about our plans following the recent announcement from Ofgem around a price cap for residential customers who have received Warm Home Discount (WHD). Thought it might help if I outline these plans here.

To meet the new regulations, we've introduced a separate tariff called Energy Plan Assist. To go on this tariff, customers must have a credit meter, be on a Standard Variable Tariff (SVT) and have either received a WHD payment from us since August 2016 or been approved to receive a WHD payment this year.

Our current paperless billing discount and lower daily standing charges for paying with a Monthly Direct Debit also apply on this tariff.

Customers who qualify will automatically have been moved to Energy Plan Assist on Friday 2 February 18. We’ll be writing to these customers at the beginning of March to let them know what we've done and tell them about their new prices. Online customers will be able to see their new prices before this.

Energy Plan Assist is a variable tariff with prices below the cap set by the regulator. All credit payment methods are okay and there aren't any exit fees leaving customers free to change supplier without penalty.

As you say Muttleythefrog, being on one of our fixed online deals means you won't benefit from this tariff but hope the above is of interest. Let me know if you need any more information as happy to help.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    Options
    w06 wrote: »
    Interesting I ve not had anything about this specifically from Eon either.

I have been pretty impressed by them (so far) though. I switched provider to Eon couple of months ago after Scottish Power added £60 a month to my duel fuel direct debit, projected saving was an estimate £500 iirc.

I qualified for Scottish Power's warm home discount (low income & PiP) but don't qualify for Eon s because I'm not on a means tested benefit, even taking into account that loss though still a big saving from the switch and they've been reassuringly proactive about my being a 'vulnerable user' - reliant on medical equipment that is reliant on electricity

Hello w06 and glad we've been looking after you. I hope my reply above to Muttleythefrog is of interest to you too.

Our Warm Home Discount (WHD) scheme for 2017/18 Broader Group customers is now closed to new applicants. You can register your interest for the 2018/19 scheme online at our website or through one of our advisors. We won’t have details of the 2018/19 scheme until summer 2018 so you may not hear from us for a while. Even though your application wasn't successful last year, I'd still apply as the qualifying details can change year on year.

Hope this is useful w06. Let me know if you need any more details as happy to help.

Malc
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • w06
    Options
    Thanks for your advice Malc, I hadn't realised the criteria potentially change year on year, hopefully I won't qualify this(next) year as will be earning more but I'll keep an eye out just in case.

cheers
    Options
    w06 wrote: »
    Thanks for your advice Malc, I hadn't realised the criteria potentially change year on year, hopefully I won't qualify this(next) year as will be earning more but I'll keep an eye out just in case.

cheers

You're welcome w06. Happy to help.

Just a quick heads up. If you are thinking of applying for Warm Home Discount for 2018/19, applications are dealt with on a ‘first come, first served’ basis so best to do sooner rather than later.

Whilst we're talking, have you heard about the Energy Company Obligation (ECO)? This is a Government led scheme to help people who qualify with energy saving stuff like cavity wall and lost insulation. Again, there are more details on our website.

Sorry if you already know these things w06 but hope they're of some interest. Have a good weekend.

Malc
  • w06
    edited 9 February 2018 at 7:45PM
    Options
    Thanks Malc, will certainly look into that if this years plans materialise (getting a 'proper job' and eventually buying my house)
    cheers
    J
  • hi ya ive had quite a bad experiance with greenstar energery ive allready got a complaint ongoing. ive been waiting for about 2 weeks for £556.49 to go into my bank credit. today get a bill new charges included on this bill £414.71 leaving me with £141.78 !!!55357;!!!56867;!!!55357;!!!56867;!!!55357;!!!56867; i switched from utilita apparantly didnt no anything till debt collectors at door. emails saying things about warrants as far as new i was a utilita customer because i was paying them every week prepayment meters utilita have quared greenstar up. but greenstar have charged me £414.71 for meters can they actually charge for joining them
  • Cyclamen
    Cyclamen Posts: 645 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I recieved a similar letter from edf putting me on a protected tarif when my last tarrif ended a few weeks ago.

We ran a price comparison and even with this protected tarrif there were more affordable options out there so I am in the process of switching suppliers. I would have liked to have stayed with EDF but after years of being cheapest for me they were about £150 more expensive. One thing i did find out is not all suppliers offer the warm home discount so although someone else appeared cheaper by about £50 we couldn't have claimed the WHD.

It's good to know there are measures to help those who need to stay warm but struggle with the cost. I know the WHD means we turn the thermostat up more than we would otherwise and it helps so much
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I think it must be remembered that not everyone has the will or the ability to change suppliers as and when so energy assist may just help those people to save a few £ on their bills our estimated saving is 15%.
    It is also a fact that people on WHD can be put off changing suppliers in case they then don't get the WHD for a number of reasons.
    Just trying to give a heads up folks.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport