PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one

Options

Comments

• Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 15,197 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    karcher wrote: »
    I'm confused..please explain? I'm anxious enough :(

I have more noise now, banging cupboard doors, shouting and furniture being moved...

Feel I'm missing something from the earlier post, but no idea what:(

could you maybe try some noise reducing headphones? I know that means more noise in effect but at least its your choice of noise. I am so feeling for you ......hit the cheese hard :)
  • katkin
    katkin Posts: 1,020 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Nelski wrote: »
    Not me katkin its Karcher

Oops, apologies to both of you :o

I likely need my bed! Drat...
  • Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    Options
    Would you please allow me a completely off topic rant..feel free to skip :o

I am both :mad::mad::mad::mad:

and :(:(:(:(:(:(

I may have moaned about this before, but I truly am at breaking point now....every bloody night the noise, banging, noise, more banging, shouting, banging..from my bloody awful neighbours :mad::(:(

One particular banging of an inbuilt cupboard door had me jumping out of my skin earlier...I feel so anxious and unsettled. I have this every bloody night. I can't relax or chill after getting in from a day at work because I have next door making so much noise.. I already have high blood pressure I bet it's through the roof just now.

As I type yet another slammed door..it actually makes the wall shake AHHHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhh :mad: It's so ferkin inconsiderate.

Before suggesting I approach them, I don't speak Arabic and they don't speak English, they are also not approachable and never say hello even though I always do when I see them.

Basically I am at the end of my tether and I just don't know what to do :( the noise is not during anti social hours but it really is having a detrimental effect on me :(

Oh to live in a cottage in the middle of nowhere where only the wild animals and weather make any noise :o

Sorry for the rant...guess being alone and having no one to off-load on/ here to share the misery my noisy neighbours are causing, means maybe this isn't that far off topic..?

Off to raid the fridge as I know I have cheese and I class that as comfort food :o

You have my sympathies. Next door (not attached though) is a drug dealing pimp who has women shouting and screaming outside his door nearly every night, wanting drugs or wanting their things back. It calmed down a bit over winter but it's just started up. At least I can understand what they're saying, it must be even more stressful if you can't.

I'd say contact your local authority, and keep a noise diary.
    Save
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • katkin
    katkin Posts: 1,020 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Oh dear I seem to have post in the wrong place...oh well I do need my bed, it's been a long day!
  • karcher
    karcher Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Nelski wrote: »
    could you maybe try some noise reducing headphones? I know that means more noise in effect but at least its your choice of noise. I am so feeling for you ......hit the cheese hard :)

Yes that is an option. I already use ear plugs a lot :o

I often feel like turning my speakers to the wall, turning my music up full blast, donning my ear plugs and going to bed.
    I did do that once when it was nearing midnight..they hammered on the wall :eek::rotfl:

...trouble is that disturbs other neighbours too and then I'd be accused of being anti social...I can't win really.

I really think they have no idea/nor care, how much their noise disturbs me :(
    'I'm sinking in the quicksand of my thought
    And I ain't got the power anymore'
  • karcher
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 16 March 2017 at 10:47PM
    Options
    katkin wrote: »
    Oh dear I seem to have post in the wrong place...oh well I do need my bed, it's been a long day!

Don't worry about it :)
    We've all done it I'm sure :)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Ames wrote: »

I'd say contact your local authority, and keep a noise diary.
    Save

100% support this, get the ball rolling and see if you can talk to their other side neighbours.

Have they been there long? Maybe it is a transitory place for them. They need to learn our considerate ways and maybe the quickest way would be for a council official to have a little chat
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Morning everyone

Karcher & Ames you have my utmost sympathies, I live in a terraced house thankfully with thick walls and so far lovely neighbours though I know that could change. My poor Dad suffered for years with the family across the landing - the only positive thing IMO to come out of the "bedroom" tax was when the elder son got jailed for murder they couldn't afford the rent and did a "flit", lovely family in there now:)

PN - I suffer from hyperacusis too :(, one of the myriad of issues associated with Meniere's and it is really random things that trigger it squealing brakes are the worst they don't even need to be that loud for it to trigger and I fall over.:(

Nelski - lucky you M&S prawns and YS what's not to like:D

I'm probably not CFO tonight (I'm hoping son might cook) and we are having a steak dinner so looking forward to that. It's still really horrible weather-wise here so another day for "winter-type" meals, thankfully the salady type bits I have lurking will keep for a good bit:)

I've still got mice - total caught so far is 7:eek: the record a good few years ago was 12 and I'm really hoping not to reach or beat it:(
  • karcher
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks all for your support :A

The neighbours below the nightmare ones are away atm but back soon, so I shall talk to them too..safety in numbers and all that. I have talked to others before and I know they hear them too but not as affected as me as I am next door.

I will then see if we can contact the landlord as I would rather try and keep things as friendly as possible for fear that things may get worse if I don't take the softly softly approach :(

After googling hyperacusis I wouldn't be surprised if I didn't suffer from it. I have always been incredibly sensitive to certain noise and get very stressed and anxious as a result. I get really stressed if the TV is on loud and someone tries to talk to me..I get in to a panic because I can't cope with the different noises.

But other things don't bother me. I used to live directly under Heathrow airport flight path only a few miles from the airport..didn't even notice the planes..but someone slamming a door or beeping a car horn had me trembling!

Back on topic..after grazing on cheese last night I did eventually heat up the last portion of my spicy tomato, aubergine thingy with some rice...Still got the washing up to do though!
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks all for your support :A

The neighbours below the nightmare ones are away atm but back soon, so I shall talk to them too..safety in numbers and all that. I have talked to others before and I know they hear them too but not as affected as me as I am next door.

I will then see if we can contact the landlord as I would rather try and keep things as friendly as possible for fear that things may get worse if I don't take the softly softly approach :(

After googling hyperacusis I wouldn't be surprised if I didn't suffer from it. I have always been incredibly sensitive to certain noise and get very stressed and anxious as a result. I get really stressed if the TV is on loud and someone tries to talk to me..I get in to a panic because I can't cope with the different noises.

But other things don't bother me. I used to live directly under Heathrow airport flight path only a few miles from the airport..didn't even notice the planes..but someone slamming a door or beeping a car horn had me trembling!

Back on topic..after grazing on cheese last night I did eventually heat up the last portion of my spicy tomato, aubergine thingy with some rice...Still got the washing up to do though!
    Sounds like a sensible approach.:) I've just cleaned up after last's night rather late dinner and am currently scoffing a couple of LO bangers in a bit of stottie cake;) Suspect today is not going to be great on either calorie or F&V wise:o
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure