tesco price diferrential

Options
help! not sure what, if anything i can do about this.
Story
our hoover - sorry, vacuum cleaner has packed in. quick look through tesco direct catalogue and we find a suitable model £99.97.icon10.gif
go to store (less than a mile) find model - pay £99.97 icon10.gif plus other shopping and pick up new catalogue.
get home, hoover - sorry, vacuum house, sit down with cuppa.icon10.gif
glance through new catalogue.
same item £79.97!icon8.gif
this morning ring main customer services - nothing. allowed to advertise at different prices. take it back unused for refund and re-order at lower price.icon8.gif
rang store - first contact "i would've checked the price first". :mad:
passed to duty manager "we can advertise different prices in different places" - unused could have refunded and re-ordered.:mad:
rang trading standards - will keep on file but legally they've done nothing wrong:mad:
Question
is there any use in pursuing the matter?
if i'd not used it they'd effectively be giving me £20 back because they do sell the item cheaper.
the fact remains that they sell it cheaper so why can't i have my £20?
is this an ASA matter?
is there any point in arguing with tesco?
aren't they just the government's retail arm?

annoyed, co. durham (land of the prince bishops & god's own country)

Comments

• OlliesDad
    OlliesDad Posts: 1,825 Forumite
    Options
    jusdotc wrote: »
    help! not sure what, if anything i can do about this.
    Story
    our hoover - sorry, vacuum cleaner has packed in. quick look through tesco direct catalogue and we find a suitable model £99.97.icon10.gif
    go to store (less than a mile) find model - pay £99.97 icon10.gif plus other shopping and pick up new catalogue.
    get home, hoover - sorry, vacuum house, sit down with cuppa.icon10.gif
    glance through new catalogue.
    same item £79.97!icon8.gif
    this morning ring main customer services - nothing. allowed to advertise at different prices. take it back unused for refund and re-order at lower price.icon8.gif
    rang store - first contact "i would've checked the price first". :mad:
    passed to duty manager "we can advertise different prices in different places" - unused could have refunded and re-ordered.:mad:
    rang trading standards - will keep on file but legally they've done nothing wrong:mad:
    Question
    is there any use in pursuing the matter?
    if i'd not used it they'd effectively be giving me £20 back because they do sell the item cheaper.
    the fact remains that they sell it cheaper so why can't i have my £20?
    is this an ASA matter?
    is there any point in arguing with tesco?
    aren't they just the government's retail arm?

annoyed, co. durham (land of the prince bishops & god's own country)

Do the items have serial numbers? If not, you can buy a new one and return it as if it was the original.

TS are correct as they are acting legally, although maybe not morally. It is there products and they are under no obligations to sell it at the cheaper price.
  • Mark_Hewitt
    Mark_Hewitt Posts: 2,098 Forumite
    Options
    Yep, they are acting legally I'm afraid. They are free to advertise products for whatever price they like.

A chain of newsagents I used to work in for example. had a standard price list, which most shops charged except city centre ones which put 5p on the price of everything. Perfectly legal, and indeed good business practice.
  • Art_2
    Art_2 Posts: 1,602 Forumite
    Options
    Tesco are right and you are wrong. I wonder what would have happened if the cleaner had gone up £20 - would you have given them the difference?
  • bap98189
    bap98189 Posts: 3,801 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It may seem unfair, but there it would be unworkable if they had to stick to a single price in all locations.

Say a shop prints a catalogue and then their supplier increases the price of a product. Just because 1 price has changed, do you expect them to reprint them all?
  • churchrat
    churchrat Posts: 1,015 Forumite
    Options
    common practice I think. We found a freezer in Currys that we liked, looked it up on-line and it was £30 cheaper and no delivery charge. I do wonder why they do it tho---it seems as tho they want the stores to go out of business.
    LBM-2003ish
    Owed £61k and £60ish mortgage
    2010 owe £00.00 and £20K mortgage:D
    2011 £9000 mortgage
  • Kkeskin
    Options
    It horrible but yes they can do that......

but remember you have 28 days from the purchase date for a full refund should your item become faulty.
  • RobertoMoir
    RobertoMoir Posts: 3,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    jusdotc wrote: »

Honestly not sure why the story didn't end at this point, possibly with a promise not to shop there again. If they didn't do anything illegal, surely that's the end of the discussion, so to speak?
    If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything
  • williham
    williham Posts: 1,223 Forumite
    Options
    You should have bought it at the lower price and returned it for a refund at the higher price.

It's not just about what the law is but retailers should want the customer to be happy. If they just gave the £20 the OP would probably be posting saying how good Tesco's customer services is, as it happens they're up £20 but down on the bad image they are being given. I don't shop in Tesco anymore because they don't have their priorities right.
  • RobertoMoir
    RobertoMoir Posts: 3,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    williham wrote: »
    You should have bought it at the lower price and returned it for a refund at the higher price.

It's not just about what the law is but retailers should want the customer to be happy. If they just gave the £20 the OP would probably be posting saying how good Tesco's customer services is, as it happens they're up £20 but down on the bad image they are being given. I don't shop in Tesco anymore because they don't have their priorities right.

I absolutely agree, but people in general seem to be hell bent on confusing their "I know my rights innit mate" sense of entitlement with what their rights actually are. Tesco ought to be looking to make their customers happy, but they don't have to go above and beyond if they don't want to.
    If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport