Non refundable deposit

Options
Hi everyone,
My daughters school recently changed their policy with regards to its year 6 residential.... it is now being offered to years 3 & 4 (about time if you ask me!).
Letters were sent home asking for a £50 deposit to be paid by the end of March - no mention of 'non refundable' or a time limit as to when this could be claimed back.
Daughter was really excited and so deposit was paid.
Since then, her best friend has announced that she is moving house and schools in September and so can no longer go on the residential.... she has claimed her money back. Her other friend isn't going due to financial issues and so now my daughter is having second thoughts!!
Residential isn't until the summer of 2019 but, school are saying that the deposit is non refundable as they have already paid. Only way of getting deposit back now will be if they can find another student to take my daughters place. Is this right??? Should I argue the point??

Comments

• bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    It's correct, by paying a deposit you are confirming the contract. They are also abiding by the law by mitigating their losses if they find another student to take the place.
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 14,005 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    As bris says, they are doing the right thing. That's what a deposit is for.
  • Svein_Forkbeard
    Options
    I assume your daughter is in the less mature age groups?

Anyway she has a year to make new friends.
  • marlot
    marlot Posts: 4,935 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The school are obliged to mitigate their loss. They're doign this by saying that if someone comes forward who will take the place you can have a refund. THat sounds entirely legal and correct.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure