MSE Poll: Parcel delivery firms: which are the best and worst?

Options
Poll started 2 January 2018

Parcel delivery firms: which are the best and worst?

Now the festive season is over, Santa finally has the chance to rest, yet for parcel delivery firms (who helped) it's business as usual.

Over the past few years we've heard a variety of horror stories ranging from no-shows, mis-delivered parcels and even items being left in the bin.

So it’s time for our fifth annual poll to sort the good guys from the cowboys...

Please rate your experience with each of these firms DURING THE LAST YEAR (don’t rate if you haven’t experienced their services)

Did you vote? Are you surprised at the results so far? Have your say below. To see the results from last time, click here.

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Thanks! :)

[purplesignup][/purplesignup]

Comments

• indesisiv
    indesisiv Posts: 6,359 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    The problem with any pole like this is that it is all down to who your local driver is!!
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
  • kathrynha
    kathrynha Posts: 2,469 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    indesisiv wrote: »
    The problem with any pole like this is that it is all down to who your local driver is!!

And even down to the driver on your day of delivery
    Zebras rock
  • swabaxter
    Options
    This poll is useful but it would be interesting to carryout a much more detailed survey to more completely understand the strengths and weaknesses of each company.
    For example which companies provide a pickup service and how good is that in terms of convenience and reliability ?

I'm not at all surprised about the low ratings for Yodel and that is a company I never use due to past consistently bad experience.

The service I use most (2-3 times per week) is Amazon Logistics and I find them very reliable, polite and efficient. I used to rate DPD very highly but had a terrible experience with them within the last 12 months which was never resolved so although I sometimes receive items via DPD, I opt for ParcelForce when I have a choice.
  • joansgirl
    joansgirl Posts: 17,899 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Surprisingly I have no problem with Yodel and will use them given the choice but as others have said it does depend on the individual driver.

My biggest issue is Hermes. They consistently leave parcels on top of my recycling bin on the access road at the rear of the house. Many have gone walkabout from there and it was only because my neighbour spotted a parcel on there and took it in for me that I didn't lose an ipad. And the ipad was from John Lewis. So now I don't buy from John Lewis as they seem to use Hermes exclusively, at least in this area. And I have complained to JL more than once. But money is king I think and Hermes are cheapest.
    floraison.gif
    Some people only exist as examples of what to avoid...
  • indesisiv
    indesisiv Posts: 6,359 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    joansgirl wrote: »
    Surprisingly I have no problem with Yodel and will use them given the choice but as others have said it does depend on the individual driver.

My biggest issue is Hermes.

Given the choice I will use hermes (or yodel to be fair) luckily my favourite shop uses hermes. But the delivery driver is great and comes here a fair amount to deliver my running shoes and sports kit.

The only issues I have had are with others such as amazon that say no one is in! Even when delivering to a reception that has to be manned at all times!
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
  • TheInfamousGrouse
    Options
    There isn't a score low enough for Yodel. The worst logistics company I've ever used. Been forced to use them about a dozen times over the years and I can't remember a single delivery that was on time and on date. A few successful re-deliveries when I've been able to dedicate the entire day to waiting for them, but mostly I've had to collect from their depot.

The best was when they shoved a Missed Delivery card through the door even though there was someone in the house at the time, so I asked them not to attempt re-delivery so I could collect from the depot the next morning. Drove 20 miles the following day only to be told it had "just gone out on the van."

After a bit of a rant they took another look in the stockroom and announced the "good news" that my parcel had in fact not gone onto the van, because someone had put it on the wrong shelf.

So to summarise...

• "Missed delivery" to an occupied house.
    • Failed to correctly flag the parcel for hold and collect.
    • Incorrectly identified the consignment as "on the van" when it wasn't.
    • Only able to give me my parcel because someone had misplaced it.

And they expected me to accept this as "good news" because I was able to take my parcel!? Another mini-rant showed them what I thought of their "good news".

I will actively avoid dealing with any company who uses these clowns for logistics, but alas many retailers don't make this clear until after you've ordered.

It looks like I got off easily compared with some of their other victims. Check out the Twitter account @YodelHell for some interesting stories.
  • Maudips
    Options
    I just want to shout out for DHL! My son & family went to Australia on holiday early Dec & my DIL forgot to take her driving license, although she had photocopy ( she had left original on printer at home!), so was unable to drive hire car! I sent it with DHL at 12 noon Thurs & it arrived in Melbourne at 2.30pm Mon, the day before expected delivery date! Admittedly it did cost almost £39, but in the circumstances well worth the cost.
  • Naf
    Naf Posts: 3,160 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    kathrynha wrote: »
    And even down to the driver on your day of delivery

And yet patterns do seem to occur with particular companies...
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    - Mark Twain
    Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon: no matter how good you are at chess, its just going to knock over the pieces and strut around like its victorious.
  • Naf
    Naf Posts: 3,160 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    We have had a number of occasions where Hermes "delivery" consisted of dumping the parcel on the doorstep and apparently running as fast as possible. We didn't take long to get to the door, yet there was already no sign on anyone.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    - Mark Twain
    Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon: no matter how good you are at chess, its just going to knock over the pieces and strut around like its victorious.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options

And just sometimes, the sender of such item/s, who don't tell their customers after one delivery attempt, pick up shop will be used etc.
    Let's not take full contact details to give to courier so they can pass to driver who maybe struggling to find address.

The drivers work long, long hours.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport