PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Second property and stamp duty question

Options
I'm towards the end in purchasing my second property on a joint name with my wife. However I've agreed with my brother that I transfer the first property back to him as we agreed before were it was originally a joint name with me no interest in this property.

If the transfer of property 1 goes back in his name, would I be liable to pay extra stamp duty fee or fall the category of '0% on the first £300,000'?

Comments

• Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    bikeman17 wrote: »
    I'm towards the end in purchasing my second property on a joint name with my wife. However I've agreed with my brother that I transfer the first property back to him as we agreed before were it was originally a joint name with me no interest in this property.

If the transfer of property 1 goes back in his name, would I be liable to pay extra stamp duty fee or fall the category of '0% on the first £300,000'?

Is property 1 the only other property you currently own?
  • bikeman17
    bikeman17 Posts: 233 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Yes and this property is currently on let which has concent to let from the lender.

The property I'm buying with my wife will be my only main residence.
  • Pixie5740
    Options
    The higher rate of SDLT applies to the purchase of additional residential properties. You currently own one property and by the time you complete the purchase of the new property you will still only own one property ergo there will be no additional properties and the higher rate will not apply.
  • bikeman17
    Options
    Thanks for your quick response. This confirms what I have found on one of zooplas QA page:
    Q. What if the home I am buying will be my main residence?
    'Main residence' refers to the home you live in, not just a property you own. And which home is your main residence will be judged as a matter of 'fact' (for example, where you spend most nights, where the rest of your family lives, where you are registered to vote and where you are signed up to local doctors and dentists).

You are not able to 'elect' a main residence as you can for the purposes of Capital Gains Tax.

If the home you are buying replaces your main residence, you will not be liable for the 3% surcharge, even if you own an additional property/properties (such as a second home or a flat you rent out) at the same time.

Also there is a flow chart at the bottom which helped:
    https://m.zoopla.co.uk/discover/buying/q-a-new-3-stamp-duty-surcharges/#Pfqu1d0jJJTbDCm7.97
  • Pixie5740
    Options
    It's a lot like the flowchart in your previous thread about the higher rate of SDLT ;)
  • bikeman17
    Options
    What if by the time property 2 completes and property 1 paperwork is still in process, will I still be required to pay the additional stamp duty?
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    What if by the time property 2 completes and property 1 paperwork is still in process, will I still be required to pay the additional stamp duty?
    yes you will

how much simpler can this be:

- you own 1 property. It is not your main home (it is let)
    - you are buying an additional property.
    - you will therefore own 2 properties and the higher rate SDLT will apply to the purchase of the one you intend to live in as your home

OR

- you own 1 property. It is not your main home (it is let)
    - you transfer that ownership to your brother
    - QED you no longer own a property
    - you buy a home to live in. It is the only property you own at the point the purchase complete so you will pay the standard rate SDLT.
    - You are not eligible for the FTB SDLT rate since you have previously owned a property and therefore this very obviously is not your first
    I've agreed with my brother that I transfer the first property back to him as we agreed before were it was originally a joint name
    have you calculated how much Capital gains tax you will need to pay when you dispose of your share in the let property?
    You cannot give it to your brother and think that will be tax free.
  • bikeman17
    Options
    I think there is some confusion with the FTB Stamp duty and higher rate tamp duty.

Based on my scenario and according to the flow chart, correct me if I'm wrong, I will be paying the stamp duty and not the 3% higher rate. Because the home I will be buying will be my main home.

When I do the switch to my brother there is not further tax as the property is fully going to him.
  • Pixie5740
    Options
    I think there is some confusion with the FTB Stamp duty and higher rate tamp duty.

Based on my scenario and according to the flow chart, correct me if I'm wrong, I will be paying the stamp duty and not the 3% higher rate. Because the home I will be buying will be my main home.

When I do the switch to my brother there is not further tax as the property is fully going to him.

:wall::wall::wall:

Someone is confused but it's not us.

You currently own one property, if at the end of the transaction you own two properties i.e. you will have purchased an additional property then the higher rate of SDLT for the purchase of additional residential properties will apply.

When you dispose of a property that was not your main residence, and the property you currently own is not your main residence because it is currently let, then you trigger a Capital Gains Tax liability. Even if you give away your share of the property to your brother for nothing your Capital Gains Tax liability will be based on the market value of the share you are giving away.
  • bikeman17
    Options
    Scenario 1:
    I give away my share of property 1, and have no property. Property 2 purchase is now ready to complete, what SDLT will i need to pay?

Scenario 2:
    Property 1 is on let and paperwork in process to transfer over to my siblings. Property 2 will be my main home of residence. What SDLT will I need to pay at this stage?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure