Poorly installed worktops, can they remove guarantee?

Options
I purchased a kitchen and (via a separate transaction) some rather expensive quartz worktops from Ikea. I had a few issues with kitchen but largely have been sorted.

The worktops are a different story as, even though they are purchased via Ikea, a 3rd party company is employed by Ikea to do the job. Initial install wasn't done correctly, also during the install they damaged my property.

The 3rd party company returned to rectify the issue. In doing so they made the worktops un-level, and damaged the kitchen in the process.

Talking to Ikea, they insisted on having the same 3rd party company back to rectify the issue again for a 3rd time, but we have lost confidence in them being able to do the job properly, do it in a timely manner (getting an appointment takes ages). Further to this the 3rd party company has broke the terms and conditions of the install on several occasions that we agreed to upon purchase.

Ikea continued to push for a return from the 3rd party company, but I insisted on a partial refund instead as now the sink and hob have been installed it's going to be a massive pain to take them out again to fix the issue.

Ikea now have offered us some compensation as a gesture of goodwill in recognition of this hassle and other issues we have had with the kitchen.

In the same email they go on to say, that if the 3rd party is unable to come back to rectify the issue then the worktops will no longer be covered in the 25 year extended guarantee that is offered with the install.

I checked the guarantee and it says something like; to be covered, the product has to be installed correctly.

I'm unsure of what to do next. I want the 25 year guarantee, but don't want the same 3rd party company back as it's clear they are useless.

Can I push Ikea to get another company in to rectify?

Or:

Could I continue with a Section 75 claim but for more money stating that I wanted a partial refund, but seeing as Ikea now are also taking away the 25 year guarantee I want a larger amount as if something goes wrong I will have to buy new worktops elsewhere?

Or something else?

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• BoGoF
    BoGoF Posts: 7,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    How many threads are you going to start on these worktops?
  • panpan
    panpan Posts: 38 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The other thread was asking about a Section 75 claim, this is a guarantee, what's the problem?
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,435 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    It make far more sense as the full story is in one thread. Not more than one.
    Life in the slow lane
  • panpan
    Options
    The full story is in this thread, the previous thread was purely about section 75 vs chargeback, I really don't understand what the issue is.
  • visidigi
    visidigi Posts: 6,440 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You can't have your cake and eat it. Guarantee is in addition to your statutory rights, so Ikea can withdraw it based on their own determination.

If they keep coming back and its all resolved to your satisfaction I don't really understand what your issue is?

S75 is unlikely to succeed given Ikea is offering you a resolution which you want to refuse to accept.
  • rach_k
    rach_k Posts: 2,236 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    How many employees does the fitting company have? A reasonable compromise would be the same company but different individuals coming to fix it.

If you're accepting money because the installation was incorrect, you can't then have the guarantee as you're accepting that the installation is not correct and you're not allowing them to fix it.
  • panpan
    Options
    Thanks all for your thoughts, much appreciated.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure