pjsmiffy wrote: »
    Now claims policy

Opps Typo

No Claims
  • Arg
    Arg Posts: 931 Forumite
    Options
    kaz0705 wrote: »
    I worked for a car insurance company at uni and I was under the impression that it was the 'risk' aspect that was the problem rather than the gender.

So, for instance (using made up stats!):

Postcode A - 60% car claims are theft
    Postcode B- 30% car claims are theft

The insurance premium would consider postcode A as higher risk. Now, I'm entirely for equal rights- it's a key issue for my life but as far as I was aware the premium weren't based on discrimination but on evidence:

A more pertinent question is how much cheaper would plain third party cost.

Gender A/ under 25= 80% of claims for crashes (at fault)
    Gender B/ under 25 = 65% of claims for crashes (at fault)

So, whilst I can understand, theoretically, why it's bad to place a higher premium based on gender, I don't get why it's not based on *risk* factors, as all insurance should be?

Surely car insurance is based on: Type of car + postcode + age + previous claims + gender + and so on?

In which case, why isn't age being defined as discriminatory? Why is it ok to say that under 25s have more crashes than over 25s but it's not ok to say men have more crashes with women?

I am genuinely confused by this!

I'm confused why other equality groups aren't on the insurance forms.
  • redpola
    redpola Posts: 43 Forumite
    Options
    Surely causing half the population of Europe to pay more for car insurance as a result of their gender is exactly the sex discrimination this ruling is trying to prevent? If a ruling has to perpetrate the crime it is protecting us from, there is surely some fundamental flaw in the logic powering it?
  • philandstuff
    Options
    There is an issue of incentives here. Suppose an insurance company can make money charging £50 to group A but need to charge £100 to group B to offset their higher risk. If they are now required by law to charge the same amount to both groups, then you might think that they would charge £75. But this means group A would be less willing to pay, while group B would be quids in. So you'll get disproportionately more of the higher risk group (group B) who you're selling insurance at a loss to, and you'll go bankrupt.

This is the problem of information asymmetry. It means that, moral issues of equality aside, it's harder for an insurance company to stay in business if they are not allowed to discriminate based on risk factors.

Speaking as a male driver, I don't like it, but it's better than the alternative.
  • keet83
    keet83 Posts: 226 Forumite
    Options
    There is an issue of incentives here. Suppose an insurance company can make money charging £50 to group A but need to charge £100 to group B to offset their higher risk. If they are now required by law to charge the same amount to both groups, then you might think that they would charge £75. But this means group A would be less willing to pay, while group B would be quids in. So you'll get disproportionately more of the higher risk group (group B) who you're selling insurance at a loss to, and you'll go bankrupt.

This is the problem of information asymmetry. It means that, moral issues of equality aside, it's harder for an insurance company to stay in business if they are not allowed to discriminate based on risk factors.

Speaking as a male driver, I don't like it, but it's better than the alternative.

I don't think people are understanding this fully. If the driver is a risk then they will charge more, so in a year, two years or three years of driving, the insurance companies should rightfully judge you by your own claims, not other peoples which is what is happening now. Each year they can review the drivers claims and their liabilities in order to offer the correct payment.

So due to this why don't they charge the same no matter what sex you are, and after a certain amount of time they can review the driver and either decrease, increase or keep the payment the same
    [STRIKE]Beggars cant be choosers, but savers can![/STRIKE]
    That used to be the case :mad:
  • haremscarem
    Options
    As a general rule, women are more nervous/dippy and men are more aggressive/cocky. It should be based on one strike and you're out as you can't base it on 'gender associations' Boy A and Girl A both get X amount first year, if you muck up by being a poor driver then you fall into the higher risk format. It would be interesting to see a statistic of how many men are insured on the road to women and there distances travelled each year.
  • Errata
    Errata Posts: 38,230 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

Sounds like a cue for all the hoary old jokes about the man from the Pru and the hussy next door ;)

I don't think insurance should be gender blind, gender is only one of a number of variables that are taken into account.
    .................:)....I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...:)
  • corbyboy
    corbyboy Posts: 1,169 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    The whole topic's a moot point.

If the decision goes through as expected, girls' premiums will rocket and boys' will drop by a pound or two.

It will be the insurance companies who win.
  • Taffy99
    Taffy99 Posts: 33 Forumite
    Options
    I passed my Full UK Driving Test at age 17 - the minimum standard required to legally drive a motor vehicle.
    From 17 to 21 i drove accident free, but I cannot honestly say near-miss free.

When I was 21, I signed up for IAM Advanced Driving lessons and Test.
    I chose to, and was lucky enough to spend 6 months with a RoSPRA Gold standard, IAM Observer, learning advanced driving techniques based on Roadcraft - the police driver's handbook.
    The test can be passed (scraped) with weeks of intensive training, but I wanted to learn advanced driving techniques - not how to pass another test.
    The test was 1 hour long with a serving/retired police driving examiner scrutinising every part of my driving ability, observation, etc. I performed a continuous running commentary for the entire hour - it's used to demonstrate your observation, awareness, concentration and tasking etc - but is no longer a requirement for the test - it's v.v. hard to learn to do well, and v. hard to maintain.
    I passed, and the examiner commented on it being very good (top quartile) of tests undertaken, but not the best - tssh - police examiners are very hard to impress!

From 21 and for the next 5 years, I practiced (maintained) my advanced driving skills, including full awareness commentary!
    I'd never been involved in, or around a near-miss or collision, and used the skills IAM taught to anticipate many hazards (and mistakes) that would otherwise have led to many near-misses, and possibly the odd collision, for myself or those around me. By observing other people's driving behaviour, and applying the skills IAM teaches - you can anticipate their mistakes, and where practicable and safe to do so, even prevent them making them.

My Girlfriend passed her test at 17, lost control of her car within 12 months, rolling it down an embankment, with her and her 3 occupants narrowly escaping (thank God), with recoverable injuries.

Every year, I ran Car Insurance quotes:
    Me with clean full licence + IAM Advanced, and,
    Her, with 3 points and written off car to show for the Collision
    - Changing gender to female reduced lowest premium by £200 - £500
    (more when I was <25, she was <21!)
    - Changing 3points+'accident' to clean+'IAM Advanced' reduced lowest premium by only about £50.
    - Adding 3point+'accident' female onto my insurance *always* reduced my lowest premium by over £100!
    - I didn't know whether to laugh or curse - she always found it amusing, and had the bonus of being able to borrow my car to drive.

It does not take a statistician to work out the loading is based on profit-driven discrimination, not statistical risk.

I know from experience how much difference Advanced driver training makes to accident risk - the UK driving license is a minimum standard - not an acceptable one.

IAM http://www.iam.org.uk/
    RosPA http://www.rospa.com/drivertraining/default.aspx

P.S. It's over 10 years now since I passed my IAM advanced, and i cannot honestly say i still drive near-miss free. I've never been involved in a collision, but IAM teaches you that a near-miss *is* a collision - it's a situation that you can be trained to anticipate and avoid.
    - when i was 21 and having just passed IAM, my friends would comment it was like pre-cognition - you see the hazard before it develops.
    - 10 years on, the difficulty of maintaining that standard without continuous training and assessment means I can see too many weaknesses in my driving have developed - far better than what i was taught to pass the minimum standard UK driving licence - but far below the level I was, and would want myself, and everyone else on the road to be at.
    - I should be contacting the IAM methinks, to see if I can find another IAM Observer, as good as the one who really taught me to 'drive'.
    - I would love the UK to move to a tiered system based on 'levels' of driving, rather than just a minimum standard, so that people (even us young male 'reckless' drivers) could take pride to demonstrate and maintain a better driving standard.
  • thebigbosh
    thebigbosh Posts: 298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    "It does not take a statistician to work out the loading is based on profit-driven discrimination, not statistical risk."

Think about it, insurance companies are not non-proift organisations - they're companies out to do what companies do: make money! Insurance, although mandated by our highway laws, is not a government run process to ensure that the motorist gets the best deal, but a business.

However, it's a large market out there and the internet and price comparison sites help the consumer to find a better cost - companies who become part of this process have to follow a simple and coordinated set of questions in order to give you a quick quote. Because the market is so diverse, don't you think that if it was simply profit-based model, you'd have smaller companies offering much lower and less 'discriminatory' premiums in order to gain market share by quantity of units sold, rather than trade on higher profit margins?

In the end, it's up to the courts to decide: insurance is a game, a gambling game, done on a large scale. Each policy is a risk that the company is taking based on the assumption that X does not occur. If they can limit their risk by betting on rare events not occuring, then they will do so. To make money and attract clients, they can logically offer lower premiums to those risk averse entities. I see zero discrimination (by race, age, sex, religion, hair colour, whatever) in this as long as you can statistically justify your calculations!
    School is important, but Rugby is importanter.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure