Falsely Accused of Theft

My friend and I were accused of theft and banned from a large supermarket near our homes. The security guard yelled at us while the assistant manager watched him and reiterated the same. We were publicly humiliated. This is what we did. We each got a pie with a reduced label on it and put them in our trolleys. We continued shopping. We saw a store employee giving items final markdowns. About 10 people were handing her things from their trolleys to get marked down. We did the same. My friend handed both pies to the store assistant who duly marked them down. Shortly afterwards we went to the checkouts and paid for them. Subsequently, we were called over by the security guard and assistant manager. The guard yelled that we had the pies in our trolleys for some time before getting final markdowns. He said if we had not done this there was a chance someone might have purchased them at the higher price. He said this meant it was theft and we were banned. They did not accuse us of not paying for them nor did they look at our receipts or the items. We are regular shoppers who get all our groceries in that store and sometimes mark down items. We know lots of staff and customers. Some staff came outside and expressed shock. Our repuations are tarnished. I wrote to head office explaining in detail what happened and asked for an apology and for the ban to be lifted. No response. We are more concerned about our repuations than anything. Their definition of theft is unacceptable and surely unlawful. If they don't want shoppers to put things in their trolleys and get them marked down they should not allow staff to mark down such items. Around 10 or more people did the same but were not humiliated or banned. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Mr_Singleton
    Mr_Singleton Posts: 1,891 Forumite
    Can’t stop laffin’
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    You require legal advice .Or make a written complaint to head office CEO.

What are you trying to recover ?? Your reputations how and where are they in the public domain .
    What are you expecting the store to actually do regarding these reputations ??
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,957 Forumite
    How long since you wrote to Head Office?

I think that the local newspaper might be the best place to get some redress. Perhaps a phone call to the manager and a quiet chat, with the suggestion that the newpaper might be interested, would acheive the outcome you seek.
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • bunnie1234
    bunnie1234 Posts: 36 Forumite
    We would like apologies in person and for the ban to be lifted, as mentioned previously. As things stand we not only suffered the awful humiliation at the time but we have seen some staff in the local area who expressed concern. We know many shoppers too that witnessed it. If the ban was lifted and we went back, people would know we did nothing wrong. As long as we are banned they will believe we are thieves. I wrote to the CEO but a few weeks have passed and we have not received a reply. It is an awful thing to be yelled at and accused of theft in a store when we did nothing wrong and never have done.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    Don't you just love school holidays.
  • bunnie1234
    tacpot12, thanks for your reply. Your suggestions are good ones. They deserve bad publicity but in order to do it we would have our names in the newspaper which would make things worse in a way as many people believe there is no smoke without fire. I would hesitate to contact the main manager as I would think the assistant manager may have run this past him before he sanctioned the actions. They were just waiting for us. For the sake of bevity in my original post I did not mention every detail but in actual fact they did this to two other people before they called us over. Those two people did not even walk around with an item which they later got marked down. They simply took items that already had the final markdowns and paid for them but they accused them of walking around with them and banned them. I realise this all sounds far fetched. People reading may wonder if the whole story is being told. It is. None of us did anything wrong and none of us stole anything. The premise on which the allegation of theft was made is beyond ridiculous.
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    I wouldn't shop in a store that did that to me. Tell everyone you are boycotting them. Job Jobbed.
  • bunnie1234
    waamo wrote: »
    I wouldn't shop in a store that did that to me. Tell everyone you are boycotting them. Job Jobbed.

My immediate instinct is to not want to shop there after what they did. Thing is, I know a lof of the staff and lots of customers who went in around the times I did, and I would like to go back just so they could see me and my friend and by doing that they would see we were not banned and not guilty. Its horrible to know so many people think we are thieves. But if we were allowed back, I would not do my main shopping there any more as I would no longer want my money boosting their sales and profits.
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    tacpot12 wrote: »
    I think that the local newspaper might be the best place to get some redress. Perhaps a phone call to the manager and a quiet chat, with the suggestion that the newpaper might be interested, would acheive the outcome you seek.
    Yes. Threaten them with the prospect of a sadface photo of the OP outside the store holding some discounted pies.
  • powerful_Rogue
    powerful_Rogue Posts: 7,516 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    The shops logic seems right to me. Pick up a load of stuff, walk round with it until final markdown, get it reduced further and go and pay.

I'm guessing a lot of people have started doing this. The issue is that if the shop then refused to mark it down further, the customer could just abandon it, meaning it would have to be binned.

You have to remember you don't have an automatic right to shop there and they can ban who they like (as long as it's not for a protected reason).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure