NHS redundancy

Options
Hi
I've had my termination notice by redundancy from the NHS. Not an ideal situation, but hey ho.
In my initial consultation meeting they (HR) said that if i returned to work in the NHS within 4 weeks, i'd have to pay back the redundancy.
Section 16.16 of the employee hand back states:
" If, before the date of termination, an employee is offered suitable alternative employment with their own employer or with another NHS employer and that employment starts within 4 weeks of the termination date, they will not be entitled to a redundancy payment."

My query relates to taking a job through an agency, but working for an NHS organisation. Technically, i'd get paid through the agency who would raise an invoice to the NHS organisation. It would be a fixed term 3 month contract.
Do any of you wordly wise folks know if this is would be ok, or mean paying back my redundancy?
Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Masomnia
    Masomnia Posts: 19,506 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Sounds like you would't have to pay the money back but you really need to check with them.
    “I could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled.” - P.G. Wodehouse
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    the job needs to have been offered before the termination then if you start within 4 weeks you pay the money back but retain continuity of service for any future redundancy.

This is reflecting the employment act.

If the job is not offered before termination the the gap needs to be a week, but some NHS places will insist on 4 weeks anyway before letting a terminated person back.

External contract work should be OK but check with both trusts if it will be ok BEFORE you start.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure