MONEY MORAL DILEMMA. Would you sell a treasured trinket?

Options

Comments

• olliedog
    olliedog Posts: 40 Forumite
    Options
    The words that jump out at me are "tucked away in your jewellery box" which says to me, "I never wear it". If I was that much in debt (which I can't envisage myself being) and the watch was not a family heirloom, then yes, I would consider selling, not pawning.
  • MessyMare
    MessyMare Posts: 979 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I just couldn't do it...but then I have a sentimental streak a mile long. I'd rather sell everything else I own rather than, say, the ruby and diamond ring from my 18th birthday, or even though I don't wear it, the amber and silver bangle. I'm intending to pass them on....that's how heirlooms get started!
    DEBT: £3585.91/£76843
    Pay ALL your debt off by Xmas 2018 #033 £635.78/£2435.78
    EMERGENCY FUND: £1000/£1000
    Our greatest weakness lies in giving up; always try just one more time
  • loustar0480
    loustar0480 Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    Yes, I'd do it if there wasn't any other way around it!

My view is, yes, you need to be sensible with your money, budget well and be careful what you sign up for (I've learned those lessons the hard way :mad:) but you can't take it with you! If you owe the money, and the consequences of not paying are bad, then you totally should sell up, pay off, and then check Martins site for better ways of dealing with your money!!!
  • CoopCooper
    CoopCooper Posts: 25 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    No, it's only a phone bill after all.

I could live without having a landline for several months, yet losing any item of sentimental value would make me feel regret for a lot longer period of time.
  • Tali_2
    Tali_2 Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    It depends upon whether selling the treasure would solve the problem or just delay it. If I can't afford the phone it would be stupid and pointless to sell the treasure to pay just to postpone the problem until my next bill; if the problem is short-term and this is the only way out, then maybe.
  • ThinkingOfLinking
    ThinkingOfLinking Posts: 11,828 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    olliedog wrote: »
    The words that jump out at me are "tucked away in your jewellery box" which says to me, "I never wear it". If I was that much in debt (which I can't envisage myself being) and the watch was not a family heirloom, then yes, I would consider selling, not pawning.

I agree with that. I don't see a landline phone as a necessity so I don't actually use one or have one anyway; I wouldn't mind it being disconnected, personally. However, I wouldn't want a bad credit profile so for that reason, I would want to get it paid off. I'd see if there were other things I could sell, eg old CDs (there are 2 branches of CEX and 2 Cash Converters near me), DVDs etc, and also try getting a Social Fund loan from the DWP first though.
  • A.Jones
    A.Jones Posts: 508 Forumite
    Options
    If family heirloom, no. If a present, yes. But then, it would not happen to me - we use 18185.
  • Hezzawithkids
    Hezzawithkids Posts: 3,018 Forumite
    Options
    Yes, It's been "tucked away" so obviously not being used.
    BUT what to do next time the debts mount up and there's nothing to sell.....???
    £2 Savers Club 2016 #21 £14/£250
    £2 Savers Club 2015 #8 £250£200 :j

Proud to be an OU graduate :j :j

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass but learning to dance in the rain
  • Cloudane
    Cloudane Posts: 524 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Tali wrote: »
    It depends upon whether selling the treasure would solve the problem or just delay it. If I can't afford the phone it would be stupid and pointless to sell the treasure to pay just to postpone the problem until my next bill; if the problem is short-term and this is the only way out, then maybe.

Yeah, this.

I like to think that I wouldn't let anything get that far, that there would be other less sentimental things to sell, a part time evening job to make up the money etc etc.

But if there was no other way and it would result in the end of my hypothetical financial troubles, yes, need's must.

If it was just one part of underlying financial problems and debts etc then NO, it'd be time to contact the CCCS and see what they advise. Selling the trinket would just delay the inevitable and depress me even more through the loss of a sentimental item.

Now, best get back to work in case I end up in the same boat :rotfl:
  • Sooler
    Sooler Posts: 3,108 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Nope, may be cut off is only may be. May be the phone co. shouldn't be charging such high prices - even if you've made no calls.
    Can you still make 999 calls if your 'cut off' - make do with a PAYG mobile and the phone co. can have their money when you can afford to pay them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure