Should employer pay for personal equipment damaged at work?

Options

Comments

• Dave126
    Options
    All is not lost... as a PGCE student your union would offer insurance against loss or breakages that occur at school. Most unions allow student teachers free membership to encourage them to join when properly employed.

The school wouldn't be expected to pay towards the breakage unless it had specifically asked you to use the MacBook on site.
  • wondermouse
    Options
    Surely the technician was employed by the school and should therefore be covered by the school's insurance?

The question of whether the laptop should've been there or not is a different one.
  • Exteacher_3
    Options
    I agree with above posts - your partner's Union will cover him for personal equipment in school. I do hope he is a member as no one - student, teacher or classroom assistant can afford to be in the classroom without Union membership. It's your insurance against any number of things that can go wrong.
  • hardpressed
    hardpressed Posts: 2,099 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you take a valuable piece of equipment out of the house why would you not have it insured yourself of have it included on your house contents? Who would he have expected to pay if he'd drop it himself? When my son took his, expensive, musical keyboard to school many years ago, I made sure it was covered on our insurance.
  • JayD
    JayD Posts: 701 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I agree with those who say his own insurance should pay - that is if he has included 'accidental' cover and 'away form home' cover for personal possessions and listed the laptop under this when completing his insurance application.
  • Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,870 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Petaldust wrote: »
    Clearly it's not that bad if he can afford a brand new Macbook Pro while lots of people are managing with second hand faulty laptops.

Which is completely irrelevant!

It all comes down to fault. If the person who damaged it was at fault then he is liable. As it happened at work, and in the course of his work, then his liability MAY be covered by his employer's insurance.
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,394 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    In a ideal world schools would provide everything needed. However, with greater moves to technologies in the classroom, teachers will prepare material on their own computers and use to project on whiteboard in class.

It's hard on a student teacher to have to replace the MacBook.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,513 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 15 October 2014 at 10:18AM
    Options
    Just be aware that these home contents insurance policy extensions MAY not be the answer - a few years ago, when discussing renewal, the question of my daughters' quite expensive musical instruments came up - the insurance company were quite blunt that the instruments were ONLY covered if they were actually in the possession of my daughters -in other words, no cover if they were locked in their personal school lockers. No chance of persuading them to carry them around at all times!!
  • Takeaway_Addict
    Options
    Which is completely irrelevant!

It all comes down to fault. If the person who damaged it was at fault then he is liable. As it happened at work, and in the course of his work, then his liability MAY be covered by his employer's insurance.
    It really depends whether the employer requested the employee to use the laptop, if they didn't then the employee is liable
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
  • sinizterguy
    sinizterguy Posts: 1,178 Forumite
    Options
    No. Absolutely not. In answer to the thread title.

Unless you are REQUIRED to have these personal items there to carry out your job - Which does raise the question, why weren't they supplied by the employer.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure