Should employer pay for personal equipment damaged at work?

12346»

Comments

• I think the most likely outcome is that your going to have to claim on your own ins.,just say it was knocked out of your hand in a crowd out shopping.

Two issues with this - first, if you were out shopping, it would most likely have been closed and the screen protected in a fall, and second, it's all those people 'just saying' dishonestly who push up premiums for the rest of us!
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Two issues with this - first, if you were out shopping, it would most likely have been closed and the screen protected in a fall, and second, it's all those people 'just saying' dishonestly who push up premiums for the rest of us!

Thirdly for these types of claims Insurers tend to check the hard drive to see when it was last used and what for. Which will no doubt show it was last being used for a lesson before it suddenly stopped working.

Good luck explaining your way out of that once you've said you dropped it whilst shopping.

Fourthly Insurers routinely use cognitive interviews which are basically lie detecting tests. They very roughly work by getting you to talk through dropping it whilst out shopping. Then getting you to repeat it a few more times with targeted questions designed to catch out someone who is telling porkies such as what were you wearing, where did you park or what did you use it for last (See point three). These questions tend to catch out liars as they will have made up a story but won't have thought up the sort of details they will ask you. They're trained to notice physical signs of lies and also verbal signs of lies especially in response to their targeted questions.

Very good chance of the claim being declined along with the policy being cancelled which has huge effects on your ability to take out any form of insurance
  • I am sorry to have to break the bad news to you. Unless the School were specific in asking you to bring your own computer in to use as a teaching aid. Then no they are under no obligation to pay for any loss or damage.

But hey. You could claim on your own contents policy. Under the All risks section. Which covers personal items outside the home.
  • meknowalot-51
    meknowalot-51 Posts: 237 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 17 October 2014 at 9:54AM
    dacouch wrote: »
    Thirdly for these types of claims Insurers tend to check the hard drive to see when it was last used and what for. Which will no doubt show it was last being used for a lesson before it suddenly stopped working.

Good luck explaining your way out of that once you've said you dropped it whilst shopping.

Fourthly Insurers routinely use cognitive interviews which are basically lie detecting tests. They very roughly work by getting you to talk through dropping it whilst out shopping. Then getting you to repeat it a few more times with targeted questions designed to catch out someone who is telling porkies such as what were you wearing, where did you park or what did you use it for last (See point three). These questions tend to catch out liars as they will have made up a story but won't have thought up the sort of details they will ask you. They're trained to notice physical signs of lies and also verbal signs of lies especially in response to their targeted questions.

Very good chance of the claim being declined along with the policy being cancelled which has huge effects on your ability to take out any form of insurance
    Thanks very much for your helpful info.,i had no idea that they would be so thorough in their investigation.The last thing i want is for their to be a major investigation with the possibility of the police being involved and arresting us for lying on such a large scale.All we posses are basic mobile pay as you go phones and a laptop,purchased in 2009,first one for us.As for the new types our knowledge is very limited and i clearly don't knowalot reguarding there use.Knowing now what i didn't know then my story would now be that it was knocked off a desk at school.It was damaged due to an accident so someones ins. will pay for it.Thanks again for helping me stay on the straight and narra guv.
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Thanks very much for your helpful info.,i had no idea that they would be so thorough in their investigation.The last thing i want is for their to be a major investigation with the possibility of the police being involved and arresting us for lying on such a large scale.All we posses are basic mobile pay as you go phones and a laptop,purchased in 2009,first one for us.As for the new types our knowledge is very limited and i clearly don't knowalot reguarding there use.Knowing now what i didn't know then my story would now be that it was knocked off a desk at school.It was damaged due to an accident so someones ins. will pay for it.Thanks again for helping me stay on the straight and narra guv.

Insurers (Currently) tend not to involve the police for this type of thing although there's still a very small chance you might be unfortunate enough to be prosecuted for fraud.

As I mentioned before they would normally deny the claim and cancel the policy. Having a cancelled policy makes it very very difficult to obtain any type of insurance including motor and life insurance as well as household. It's also possible they may place a CIFAS marker on your credit file flagging you up as a fraud risk which as you can imagine make it very difficult to obtain credit for some time and may also affect your bank account.

Your best bet is to be honest to your household Insurer although there's a good chance your policy excludes items used for business which there's a good chance they would define using it in a class room would be
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure