IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

SCS for parking with permit!

Options

Comments

• Potatini
    Potatini Posts: 23 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you so much #Loadsofchildren123! It sounds much more credible.
    I've edited the letter, read the Protocol again and I'm ready to send this:
    Dear Sirs,
    Thank you for sending me additional information about this.

Your reply does not take us any further. I am still not in possession of sufficient detail of the claim. Your letter again fails to clarify what evidence your client intends to rely on, nor does it provide copies of such evidence.
    For example, your client must have photographic evidence, which I am entitled to see.

Your client is in breach of its obligations pursuant to the Protocol for Debt Claims - with which as solicitors you must surely be familiar (and with which your client, a serial litigator of small claims, must also be familiar). As you (and your client) must know, the Protocol binds all potential litigants, whatever the size or type of the claim. No party is immune to its provisions. In fact one might argue that compliance with it is even more important in a small claim against a litigant in person. Its express purpose is to assist parties in understanding the claim and their respective positions in relation to it, to enable them to take stock of their positions and to negotiate a settlement, or at least narrow the issues, without incurring the costs of court proceedings or using up valuable court time. Your client cannot deny me this opportunity.

I require your client to comply with its obligations by sending me the following documents:
    1. a clear explanation of the cause of action
    2. why it is pursuing me as the keeper
    3. whether it is relying on the provisions of Schedule 4 of POFA 2012
    4. photographic evidence related to the supposed claim
    5. a copy of the contract with the landowner under which it asserts authority to bring the claim (already requested in the previous correspondence, but ignored)
    6. a copy of any alleged contract with the driver and how its terms were communicated to the driver (ie a copy of any signage and a plan of where it was displayed in relation to where the car was parked)
    7. If your client has added anything on to the original charge, an explanation of what that represents and how it has been calculated.
    8. Photographic evidence of the parking on which the claim is based

I am clearly entitled to this information under paragraph 9 of the Protocol. I require it to deal with my own obligations to respond to the alleged claim under paragraph 9 of Protocol. None of this information will be difficult for your client to provide - it is obliged by its membership of BPA to make and keep such records.

If your client does not provide me with this information then paragraphs 13-16 of the Practice Direction - Pre-Action Conduct (which continue to apply, as set out in the Protocol) are applicable and I put you on notice that I will be relying on the cases of Webb Resolutions Ltd v Waller Needham & Green [2012] EWHC 3529 (Ch), Daejan Investments Limited v The Park West Club Limited (Part 20); Buxton Associates [2003] EWHC 2872, Charles Church Developments Ltd v Stent Foundations Limited & Peter Dann Limited[2007] EWHC 855 in asking the court to impose sanctions on your client and to order a stay of the proceedings (paragraphs 13 ,15(b) and (c) and 16 of the Practice Direction).

Unless your client complies with its obligations and provides this information, I am unable to respond properly to the alleged claim or to consider my position in relation to it, as I am entitled to do, and as I am obliged to do pursuant to the Protocol. Until then, it is entirely premature (and a waste of costs and court time) for your client to issue proceedings. Should your client do so, then I will seek an immediate stay pursuant to paragraph 15(b) of the Practice Direction and an order that this information is provided.

The claim has no merit whatsoever, for two reasons:

1. Outwith POFA, there is no 'keeper liability', hence I cannot be held liable for any parking charge. Your client has no cause of action against me and must take it up with the driver, and should have done so in a timely manner, establishing on the day who that party was, if they felt there was a parking charge due.

2. In any event, the driver was authorised to park by the landowner - the car's VRN is in fact registered with the land owner, who has issued a legitimate permit for the car to access and park in the staff car park area. This alone nullifies any claim. Your client should already know this, but could easily check the position with the landowner. I expect it to do so now, and to cease writing to me requiring me to pay a "charge" which I am not obliged to pay.

The continual letters requiring me to pay monies for which I am not liable are causing me ongoing distress and inconvenience and I reserve all my rights in respect of a counterclaim for harassment and/or breaches of my data protection rights.

Should your client proceed, I put you on notice that, having spelled out to it that the claim has no merit, I will seek full indemnity costs pursuant to Rule 27.14(2)(g) on the basis that your client should, and did, know that the claim was entirely baseless.
    In the mean time...
    I made contact with the hospital's traffic office, where I was given a lecture on how to deal with fines. The manager stated he can't help at this stage, as "the cost I've generated to CP+ by being inactive now need covering". He refused to step in by writing a simple letter even after begging and highlighting the land owner has the last word, for the law.
    I'm so grateful you have my back! I'm not in a good place at present and dealing with his stuff is out of my reach-so upsetting. Thank you!
    I'll send this one, if ok, and will keep you posted on the following happenings.
  • nosferatu1001
    nosferatu1001 Posts: 12,961 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    When you brought up the NHS parking pronciples, what did he say?
  • Loadsofchildren123
    Options
    Letter looks good
    Although a practising Solicitor, my posts here are NOT legal advice, but are personal opinion based on limited facts provided anonymously by forum users. I accept no liability for the accuracy of any such posts and users are advised that, if they wish to obtain formal legal advice specific to their case, they must seek instruct and pay a solicitor.
  • Potatini
    Options
    When you brought up the NHS parking proiciples, what did he say?
    Not a lot. The guy said it's way too late for them to step in, plus why would they pay £17or£70K (didn't get the figure) a year to CP+ to manage the parking? Also CP+ sustained costs because of me and it's fare I pay them back.
    I replied a legal adviser showed me the law in merit, but the manager just bounced it back. He hung on me!!!! He gave me a name and direct phone n. of a CP operations manager instead and suggested I call this person to settle and "I don't know, arrange some instalments or agree a sum".
    Nice suggestion. I'll stick with you guys.
    Thank you!
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,747 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    What a complete twonk!
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • nosferatu1001
    nosferatu1001 Posts: 12,961 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Yep, time for a complaint to the next level up, about their complete disregard for their minister, and how this in any way encourages staff to stay...
  • Potatini
    Options
    I totally agree. It's a severely bugged system. The problem is at present I'm stuck in it!!!
    Do you think there is any point in complaining with the Trust's board? The guy above is the head of transport, aka the parking manager...Any letter would bounce to him...
    For now, letter is out. See what comes.
  • Potatini
    Options
    Hi all, 15May and no reply from SCS. Should I be concerned??
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,747 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    No, I expect it takes time for them to revert to the PPC to get a few bits/photos, copies of letters, to try to shut you up and so they don't look unreasonable later in court.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Honey-Dee
    Honey-Dee Posts: 83 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I received a total of 5 parking fines for being parked in the staff car park at the hospital where I work, despite I have a valid permit disc on the dash and daily scratched scratch card. Together with the parking permit disc, the staff parking area is accessible only by swiping a name badge, which I also own. I used the facilities within standard working hours, although my permit is valid for 24/7. Colleagues told me that they had the same issue and recommended to discard the notices, as "they'll stop writing" ... but I received a standard LBC from SCS Law instead! I've been naive, I know.
    Your case sounds so much like mine and my Trust except my Trust uses UKPC. Good luck with this. I am still in similar situation right now..... and Trust not very helpful.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure